PDA

View Full Version : Passenger windows question

Flying Duck
4th Apr 2002, 12:23
When coming in to land, why do the window shutters for the passengers on a 'plane have to be up ? What difference does it make? Is it so you are able to see what is happening - even if you can't doing anything as SLF ?

Thanks

(finally plucked up courage to register and post after lurking for sometime !)

DeeTee
4th Apr 2002, 13:30
It probably has something to do with available light and identification of danger. The emergency lighting on an aircraft is quite weak. I beleive it is only required to be 1 candle power. So its dim. If the windows are open this maximise the ambient light which can be useful if you slide off the runway and it all goes dark as the flight deck switch everything off except for the emergency lighting. Also, it would help identify possible dangers out of the windows prior to opening escape hatches. I.e. don't open the overwing exit if the wing it is over is on fire.

But that's only an educated guess.

TR4A
4th Apr 2002, 15:56
NOT a requirement in the USA.

shon7
5th Apr 2002, 14:44
Well flyingduck, I asked a stewardess this question because I was frustrated with her telling me what to do with my window. Anyway, her answer was that in case of an emergency the passengers are more aware!

So thats that.

RadarContact
5th Apr 2002, 17:36
DeeTee is quite right there. For the same reason just before landing the lights will usually be dimmed. Gives people a better chance to see things if we have to brake hard... :)

Hand Solo
5th Apr 2002, 23:42
YOUR WINDOW? It's not your window and you'll do as your told! If they want the blinds up, tough titty