PDA

View Full Version : Quite simply superb

ExRAFRadar
29th Jul 2012, 08:28
Apologies if this has been posted before

I simply do not understand how a child could watch this and not think 'I want to do that when I am older'

Fly with the Red Arrows (3D) - YouTube

Wander00
29th Jul 2012, 09:05
Blow the kids, they can go to the back of the queue! Nice to see the wool tuft for keeping the ball in the centre. Incidentally, I missed the Reds flypast at the Olympic opening. Anyone have a version they can put on here ....please

Adam Nams
29th Jul 2012, 11:45
Certainl;y 30 something years ago, films like this, 'Fighter Pilot' and visiting air shows might have been enough to encourage younsters to join.

However, with the advent of gaming, FS, XBox etc, would this be enough to get the kids thinking about a career in the RAF?

Pontius Navigator
29th Jul 2012, 12:24
Adam, you MUST be joking.

True the X-box generation likes its game but only until the next bigger and better game, and faster and more realistic computer comes along.

Now what can be faster and more realistic than a supersonic computer dropping real computer controlled bombs with real targets that have real smoke and flames at the end? Oh, and where the other guy's computer can achieve a hard kill if you are not good enough.

Background Noise
29th Jul 2012, 13:09
Think you'll find that the 'wool' is a bit of string on the seat, not on the outside. Not sure how long wool would last at 400kts.

BBC Flypast: BBC News - Red Arrows fly-past for 2012 London Olympic spectacle (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19020219)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Jul 2012, 13:55
As a teacher, I have found that stuff like this does still get children thinking of flying jets.
However, half the flying hours that we used to get, then overstretch followed by no job security, and a bright sixteen year old is no longer looking at a career in the RAF. And I don't blame them.
The UK military still hasn't figured out that "your wife has to be a nurse or a teacher to follow you around, and give up work when you make Wing Commander" is an antediluvian attitude.

Barksdale Boy
29th Jul 2012, 15:03
I seem to remember that, in 1965 at South Cerney, the MO, a Wg Cdr Cheshire I think, said, "85% of you will marry nurses or teachers; the other 15% will marry the strangest people".

Pontius Navigator
29th Jul 2012, 16:16
Nurseend married a nurse. Local pilot round corner married a teacher. Recently deceased supplier married a teacher.

More recently, with women remaining in after marriage and pregnacy you can add Serviceman to the mix.

Dau 1 met and married a Serviceman while she was serving as an Aux Rock. Dau 2, married a Serviceman she met on IOT, so there you go.

I suspect the mix may be different now that nurses homes have gone and teacher training colleges possibly rarer. Also the abolition of military hospitals and reduction of Service schools may also have an affect.

Going further back, an uncle and my old man, both merchant navy, married nurses.

Basil
29th Jul 2012, 16:17
Barksdale Boy,
Hah! Just read that to my wife and added "Two out of three isn't bad!"
All I received in reply was a dirty look - and not THAT kind of 'dirty' either ;)

Wander00
29th Jul 2012, 19:34
BN - many thanks for the link - did not imagine BBC would have identified it as such. V Grateful

betty swallox
29th Jul 2012, 20:40
Agree. Quite simply fantastic!