PDA

View Full Version : The first hurdle..........

fenomeno21
29th Jul 2012, 00:38
Hi everyone,

my first post and no doubt, i am 1 of many that has come here as i'm wanting to start a new career as a pilot.

I am yet to apply to any cadet program but i must say, i am feeling a little nervous about it. I am yet to set foot in a cockpit so I am coming at this from the point of view of a complete novice. I have long wanted to be a pilot but I was actually told by my 'careers advisor' at the age of 13 that it is "too hard" which crushed the dream..........understandably for an impressionable adolescent.

Anyways, 2 years ago, I decided my 'careers advisor' clearly knew nothing about real careers hence being a careers advisor. I started my research and decided that I would put the money aside so that I could fulfil my dream. So here I am, I have the money and the drive but do i have what it really takes?

As I said above, the part that is causing me a little anxiety is the application process........i've looked into the aptitude tests and I guess I really have no basis for comparison as to whether i'd be suited to a career as a pilot. I don't want to apply and be unprepared so i'm wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom when it comes to applying. My research tells me that CTC Wings and OAA are the "best" but i'm also informed that applying is more or less a 1 chance only situation.

Before anyone says it, yes, I will get a few hours in the cockpit to see how I really feel about the long hard road i'm about to start down (providing i have the aptitude).

I welcome all advice and wisdom especially from recent successful applicant and I look forward to reading your experiences.

redsnail
29th Jul 2012, 05:51
Before you spend a penny (excuse the pun), download the medical standards required for a Class 1. (aka JAR FCL-3). I think the CAA site may have it or something similar. If you can't, visit your doctor and get tested for diabetes, colour blindness, visual acuity and deafness.
The vision standard is reasonably high, glasses aren't a no go but how strong they are is. (5 dioptres I think?)

WRT applications etc, visit GAPAN and have a look there. They do aptitude testing to see how you'd go. Well worth it.

Other testing, have a look online for "COMPASS" etc.

fenomeno21
29th Jul 2012, 17:16
thank you for that,

i've taken a look at the compass practice tests (are they close to the real thing) and i've also taken a look at GAPAN.

Am I right in assuming that the aptitude testing that GAPAN does is more or less the same as CTC Wings/OAA or any other flight school?

For that matter, do other flight schools do aptitude testing? Before i came across CTC and OAA i contacted "Pilot Training College" who do not mention any testing........i assume that they maybe one of the less honest schools??

Thanks again Redsnail