PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip from Nottingham to Jersey advice , tips requested

uk104
28th Jul 2012, 01:40
Hi All,

Planning a trip from Nottingham to Jersey and then staying for a couple of days, might explore some of the other islands and even head off to France?
Have the lifejackets and PLB sorted,know how to file a flight plan etc looking for anyone that has done this trip to the Channel islands and could offer any advice on their experiences?
Have not had much response on the rotorheads forum thought I would try here? looking for someone that has actually done it, experience on the vfr reporting points, where to park any problems with Avgas, customs and is it easy for the fuel excise refund departing UK?
Thanks in advance I am flying a Robinson-44 Raven 11 helicopter......

Fuji Abound
28th Jul 2012, 07:04
Not flown it rotary but many times fixed wing.

I dont know how high you like to go but i always route st catherines point direct to a point just east of ortac if ocas. If you look on the chart this keeps you to the east of the airway and west of the danger areas with the airspace forming almost a choke as you close on the jersey zone. You will get a service from bournemouth lars pretty much all the way until you pick up jersey just north of 50n. This is also about the shortest crossing. Jersey will either give you a direct to guernsey or first route you towards the cap and then west to guernsey. Expect quite low level but feel free to ask for higher and to route via alderney if you want some scenery. Jersey, guernsey and alderney are all pretty and interesting islands with good facilities at all three airports. Flying between the islands isnt an issue.

fattony
28th Jul 2012, 11:08
Not flown it myself but used to live in the Channel Islands. Avgas is available in Jersey, Guernsey and Alderney and is pleasantly cheap at around £1.50 per litre. If you haven't already seen it, take a look at Channel Island Control Zone - SVFR Flight Planning Guide (http://www.cicz.co.uk) for some useful info. You could always try phoning Jersey air traffic - they're always very helpful and are used to dealing with GA traffic.

Just out of interest, when are you planning on going?

Aero Mad
28th Jul 2012, 23:54
If you're planning your trip between the 12th and 23rd August, pop into Alderney and there will be a cup of tea waiting for you. Nice beaches too.

uk104
29th Jul 2012, 01:25
Thanks for the replies much appreciated looking at doing the trip last week of August. As suggested will ring the Jersey ATC team direct .

rattle
7th Aug 2012, 19:30
Going tomorrow in a 44 so PM me later in the week and I will update you.

R

uk104
8th Aug 2012, 03:15
Look forward to your experience , the flight plan, submitting the forms etc have a great trip!

uk104
14th Aug 2012, 03:53
Hi Rattle have sent you a PM looking forward to hearing about your trip. I am planning to go on the 27th Aug