PDA

View Full Version : CTAF PROCEDURES

CANCEL SARTIME
27th Jul 2012, 14:35
I’ve been flying around NSW, VIC and SA for the past month and I’ve noticed that at a lot of non-towered aerodromes some aircraft, particularly ultralights (recreational aircraft as they prefer to be known) don’t give downwind calls.

When I was learning to fly, my instructors taught me to always give a downwind call. It improves situational awareness and is good airmanship but is a downwind call mandatory? I don’t have my AIP book with me at the moment and I don’t have OzRunways going yet either.

fujii
28th Jul 2012, 01:32
CASA booklet. Operations at non towered aerodromes, pages 16/17. Available on line at casa.gov.au. Downwind call not compulsory. 10 miles inbound and joining circuit required. Others are for situational awareness. This query would have been better posted on the DG&P page as it is the Australian PPRUNE site.

CANCEL SARTIME
28th Jul 2012, 03:22
The following is an extract from those pages.

For minimum compliance, you should broadcast your intentions: before or during taxiing
immediately before entering a runway, whether active or not
inbound 10nm or earlier from the aerodrome immediately before joining the circuit
on a straight-in approach, on final, by 3nm from the threshold
on a base-join approach, before joining on base
when flying near, but not intending to land at, a non-towered aerodrome, where the pilot intends to fly through the vicinity but not land.
But use your radio more often if needed.

So what they are saying is anyone already established in the circuit isn’t actually obliged to make any calls at all!

fujii
29th Jul 2012, 07:15
So what they are saying is anyone already established in the circuit isn’t actually obliged to make any calls at all!

The original question was related to downwind reports, which are not required. If no one else calls, you don't have to say anything else in the circuit. If another aircraft calls, you are required to reply to provide situational awareness for that aircraft. Too many people forget the situational awareness part and only give the inbound and joining calls from habit and ignore everyone else. Listen before transmitting and then listen for any responses and learn the correct format for the broadcasts. Read the requirements again. Remember the last sentence. Use the radio more often if needed.

India Four Two
29th Jul 2012, 07:27
I make as many calls as required under the circumstances. Always a downwind and final call, and if someone new, pops up on the frequency, I will call them with a position report.

I used to tow gliders in Canada and when a powered aircraft gave a courtesy call when near our field, I would reply with a quick brief on the local traffic.

SW3
30th Jul 2012, 05:56
Circuit joining call, as required, is a no brainer at whichever leg you join.
If conducting circuits, base call is best with intentions (touch & go, full stop). Makes aeroplane much easier to spot whilst turning than in level flight.