PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP or Relevant Type Rating

212_Nightdipper
27th Jul 2012, 12:21
Hello Guys,

Seems like that having a JAA ATPL-IR, 412 type rating and around 2000 flt hrs doesnt help me to find a job...now I was thinking to either get a FAA ATP or pay for a relevant type rating (like 139, 155 or 225)...in my opinion the problem with the second option is that even if you are type rated on the "right machine", most companies ask for hours on type...any advices?:ugh:

FlyingWay
27th Jul 2012, 12:46
most company accept all issued certificate license Whether ICAO, JAA, FAA, GCAA, GACA.
B412EP is available world wide, also which I know that some company train their pilots on B412 simulator as it's cheaper.

http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/412462-gcaa-validation-procedure-s.html

hueyracer
27th Jul 2012, 13:15
Save the money....

I have 4000 hours, FAA ATPL(H), JAR CPL(H) IR, Type Ratings on Bell 205/212/412, BK117 and EC135 (with more than 3000 on Bell Mediums), Utility-experience, longline-Experience, NVG and IF-time-and i am also not able to find something....

rick1128
27th Jul 2012, 13:44
Without knowing any of you personally or having knowledge of your current or past situations, I will make a few comments of what I have observed over the many years in this industry. Almost 40 years and over 20,000 hours.

1. Nationality. Many countries have restrictions on who can and may work
in their country. Especially within the better job categories.

2. Job applicant having unreasonable or unrealistic employment expectations.
Like unwilling to relocate. Doesn't want to work on single
(unaccompanied) contracts. Doesn't want to work out n the field for
extended periods, etc.

3. Applicant has messed in their bed too often. This industry is very small.
Especially outside the USA. If I don't know someone at that company, I
know someone who does. So if you have made of mess of it somewhere
to the point that no one wants you to come back, then you will have a
problem. One or two screw ups is one thing, but every employer usually
indicates the problem is a lot closer to home.

4. Lastly, it could be your attitude. I have been seeing more and more young
pilots show up for interviews with the attitude that I 'owe' them this job.
And that they are the greatest thing that will ever happen for this
company. I owe you SQUAT!

If and when I hire you, you owe me! And the company.

What do you owe me and the company?

1. Respect. To the company as your employer and to me as your supervisor. Respect goes both ways. For the company and myself to respect you, you have to respect us also.

2. Loyalty. The company signs your paycheck and I authorize it. I have been personally lied to when an employee slipped off to do an interview with another company. Don't call in sick, ask for a personal day or vacation day.

3. Care. Take care of company property. I have seen way too many employees tear up company property. That aircraft represents your paycheck. Treat it as such. Take good care of the clients/customers. They ultimately provide your paycheck.

Are all companies doing right by their employees? No, like there are bad employees, there are also bad companies. And again, the industry is small enough that just about everyone know who they are.

spinwing
27th Jul 2012, 14:25
Mmmm ...

Rick your absolutely spot on ... :D

212_Nightdipper
27th Jul 2012, 15:24
Thanks to all for the advices...

@Rick...I'm 100% with you...I'm a Navy guy looking to pass on the "other side" of the business...I can tell you that my approach is very humble because I understand that the civilian world is a completely different ball game.

I'm applying mostly for copilot jobs (even if 've been PIC in 212 since 2006)...I dont care about moving or relocating (I'm used to that) and all I care is flying and thats why I'm leaving the Navy (lots of crap and not much cyclic'n'collective business)

All i care is decent pay, equal time and to have the chance to log some...but I dont wanna reach the point of saying "I WILL FLY FOR FOOD"...I dont think its fair to our category...

Fly safe!!

hihover
27th Jul 2012, 15:38
Bang on Rick.

Tam

rick1128
28th Jul 2012, 00:18

If this is your first civilian job, you might have some problems. You will have to thank some of your brother military pilots for that. Unfortunately, too many of them eat way too much raw meat. And it shows. Part of the problem is the way military pilots are trained and used. I understand why it is done the way it is. The problem is they don't seem able to turn it off in the civilian world.

I don't care that you have only flown snakes and have shot down an enemy helicopter and killed x amount of tanks. We don't do that. We don't shot rockets, or guns, etc. We don't fly all out, balls to the wall. New holes in the helicopter are a bad thing, not something to brag about at the club.

I had one applicant tell me about all his long line experience in the Chinook. With 45 feet of line and the Chief Crew giving guidance. Then there the resume where the applicant stated that he was SIOP current and qualified. They need to get a better handle on the civilian portion of the industry. Not all military pilots are this way, but enough of them are that they leave a very sour taste in employers' mouths.

At a local flight school, they had a former military helicopter pilot and instructor walk in with a resume. He hadn't flown a helicopter since 1975 and with the change in FAA regulations, he got a brand new CFI and was ready to go to work right now. Didn't want to wait and didn't need any refresher training. People remember those guys.

My suggestion is to keep putting yourself out there and maintain a good attitude.

212_Nightdipper
28th Jul 2012, 14:12
Again Rick....thanks for the advices!!!:ok: