PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a visum??

Matthois
4th Apr 2002, 10:56
Hello,

Just a short question about a visum. I want to get my PPL in the US. And I want to do a short course (Just a few weeks) do you need a visum for it? Or can you do it like a holiday?
Advice please!

Thanks,

Matt

KitKatPacificuk
4th Apr 2002, 11:11
Should be able to do it like a holiday if you're only doing a PPL. Visitor Visas are normally ok for 90 days. If you were doing more such as a Commercial you would need to be there longer and would need a J1 or M1 visa. Which can be sorted through the US Embassy and the training establishment.

Matthois
4th Apr 2002, 12:04
Thanks for your reply.

I'm first going to get my PPL, and after that I want to do a full course to become a professional pilot. But the PPL is for previous experience. I'm now looking for a good school where I can get my PPL in a few weeks? any suggestions??

Matt

GoneWest
5th Apr 2002, 02:33
Minor technical point, KitKat - but there are no visitor visas valid for 90 days...That I'm aware of.

<<edit: to add the line "That I'm aware of">>

regional guy
5th Apr 2002, 03:38
GoneWest:

I would have to disagree with you there. You are partially correct, though. As far as I can know, you can enter the US without a visa (depending on where you are from) and stay for 3 months. You just need to complete an I-94. Some nationalities actually do need to apply for a tourist visa, still valid for 3 months, at the local embassy.

KitKatPacificuk
5th Apr 2002, 07:51
I was in Florida for 2 months with just a visitors Visa like regional guy described.

Only hired from one place and that was Orlando Flight Training in Kissimmee. I know people have had problems there with aircraft availability, but the guys there are good fun. Important to get good training and enjoy it at the same time.

GoneWest
6th Apr 2002, 00:28
Ok, regional - I agree...half each, eh??

From certain countries, you do need a visitor visa - and it probably is 90 days. From KitKat's UK address, the answer is No!.

The green coloured form completed on the aircraft (for INS) is an I94W - not an I94. The 94 is given to those with visas (and is white) - the 94W is given to those without visas...hence the name "Visa Waiver Scheme".

regional guy
6th Apr 2002, 14:25
GoneWest:

:D You are right. I meant I-94W, I guess we finally got it right. :D
The INS laws are enough to make your head spin at times though, huh??