PDA

View Full Version : Trip from Nottingham to Jersey advice needed?

uk104
27th Jul 2012, 04:36
Hi All,

Planning a trip from Nottingham to Jersey and then staying for a couple of days, might explore some of the other islands and even head off to France?
Have the lifejackets and PLB sorted, looking for anyone that has done this trip to the Channel islands and could offer any advice on their experiences?
Thanks in advance (Heli is R-44 Raven 11)

Agaricus bisporus
27th Jul 2012, 18:52
Avoid the third bistro on the left by the harbour in St Helier. They don't put enough garlic in the Moules.

ralphmalph
27th Jul 2012, 19:12
UK104,

Check the weather/sea state.
File a flight plan
Brief your land immediately/land ASAP and ditching plans before you get airborne.
Calculate CP / PNR
Practise an egress/jettison of your exit.

Ralph

EESDL
29th Jul 2012, 13:46
I guess it depends upon when you decide to go if Weymouth restricted zone active etc - not an issue though if you route from Bournemouth.

Get an up-to-date Pooleys/vfr guide which should have flight plan instructions for your flight to Jersey - I think it routes ORTAC - Jersey is like another country - if you know what I mean?
It's all been done before as far as flight planning is concerned.

PS Good article in Gasco Flight Safety Issue Summer 12 re Ditching

Hedski
30th Jul 2012, 12:40
What's the routing? Did it in R22 many years ago and more recently by 109.
PM if you want more info on the short or long way.

chopjock
30th Jul 2012, 15:09
Don't forget...

PRIVATE AIRCRAFT COMMON TRAVEL AREA FLIGHTS/TERRORISM ACT 2000

If you are flying to/from the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Eire or Northern Ireland you must fly via a designated airport under the Terrorism Act OR give 12 hours prior notice in writing for the Police area in which the Port is situated. Please refer to the Police contact numbers printed on the rear of the GAR. It is an offence under the Terrorism Act to wilfully fail to comply with this legislation.

uk104
1st Aug 2012, 03:45
Hi Chop Jock is that 12hrs from departure point or the landing area for police notification? Departing from my house then landing at Jersey Airport? Thanks

chevvron
1st Aug 2012, 05:53
GAR (General Aviation Report) form must be submitted to police 12 hours before departure from UK departure point, and 12 hours before arrival back there. Both out and return legs can be done on the same form rather than fill out two separate ones.
Flight plan is also required.

Hedski
8th Aug 2012, 07:44
Simon,

Do you fly a based heli in Jersey?
Don't remember any being there last time I flew in, it was 4 years ago though.

H

uk104
8th Aug 2012, 08:25
Hi Simon and fantastic info much appreciated, have sent you a PM to get in touch .

Jarvy
8th Aug 2012, 18:41
Flew from Manston to Jersey many years ago. In a 22 took the shortest water crossing (Dover- Calais) then followed the coast round (watching out for restricted airspace) stopping at Caen for lunch.
It was intresting at Jersey following a 737 on the taxiway then a 'follow me' truck.