PDA

View Full Version : Indigenous Flight Training

blades_of_glory
27th Jul 2012, 02:10
Would anyone be able to provide information into indigenous scholarships or grants for flight training in Australia?

Fratemate
27th Jul 2012, 04:10
I do hope none exist. It's not like there aren't already enough hand-outs to the indigenous population that the rest of us have to fund and for what reason? The same opportunities are open to all Australian citizens, so why should we target particular people for special treatment?

If a flying scholarship exists then make it available to all, irrespective of gender or skin colour and award it to the most deserving candidate.

Airservices Australia, Mobil, the Royal Victorian Aero Club et al have all provided flying scholarships in the past. Why not examine those possibilities, rather than singling out certain groups in society for special treatment, where the competition is not so fierce i.e. it's a foregone conclusion.

blades_of_glory
9th Aug 2012, 06:56
Thanks for your response Fratemate.

Although not very productive, presenting your narrow minded views, considering there are more white Australians on welfare then there are Indigenous one could hardly feel like it was an attempt at being cynical.

Fostex
9th Aug 2012, 07:06
His point...

If a flying scholarship exists then make it available to all, irrespective of gender or skin colour and award it to the most deserving candidate.

I agree, it a scholarship and should be done on the basis of merit.

Why do you think it should be otherwise?

Bonniciwah
9th Aug 2012, 07:36
Hi BoG,

They have them in the US so I don't see why they shouldn't have them here. Perhaps you could enquire with the universities that to aviation degrees to see if that's included in any scholarship schemes they may have.

This story about Indigenous pilot Robbie Simms, who flies for V Australia, refers to him benefiting from a scholarship. Perhaps you can get in touch with him. Robbie Simms | Real Stories | GenerationOne | End Indigenous Disadvantage - Take Action Now! (http://generationone.org.au/real-stories/robbie-simms)

All trainee pilots deserve a leg up, if you can find a way that would be great.

triathlon
9th Aug 2012, 09:57
The US is full of firearms too. Does that mean we should as well? We don't have to follow in their footsteps with everything.

Howard Hughes
9th Aug 2012, 10:07
When I was in the NT I heard of them being available, although it may have been folklore.

rmcdonal
9th Aug 2012, 10:15
presenting your narrow minded views, considering there are more white Australians on welfare then there are Indigenous
There you have it, white Australians are more in need of a scholarship than Indigenous as there are more white people on welfare. :E

Super Cecil
9th Aug 2012, 10:34
Wobert, Wobert, Wobert....................:}

seneca208
9th Aug 2012, 10:43
I remember reading something a little while ago that provided CPLs to Aboriginal Australians. They paid for the CPL, but the requirement was that you worked/lived in a remote Aboriginal community for 2 years. Can't remember where I saw it however.

Shark Slayer
9th Aug 2012, 11:09
[QUOTE]considering there are more white Australians on welfare then there are Indigenous one /QUOTE]

Do you mean in total or as a percentage of their respective populations?

I am genuinally interested to know. To all, white, aboriginal or otherwise, I would ask you to be careful of how you express your opinion..there are strict laws that are being enforced!

The NLC or other organisations would be a better place to enquire.

Good luck!

judgee
9th Aug 2012, 11:10
Ha! If you are asking for yourself I am guessing you are one of those 1/16th Aboriginals and therefore believe you deserve some kind of assistance or special treatment when you have most likely lived the exact same life as any other Australian with the exact same opportunities.:yuk:

Trojan1981
9th Aug 2012, 11:32
If there are indigenous scholarships, and they require competitive selection, then go for it.

We might end up with better quality pilots than the usual lazy, bogan, Nouveau riche kids whose Daddies pay for lessons at the local sausage factory. The type who are pushed through to become career F/Os in the right hand seat of a bus, failing checks but telling everyone how good they are.

Blades, I don't know where to look, but if you find one go for it :ok:

hiwaytohell
9th Aug 2012, 11:38
What a mature attitude!

Having been personally involved in the delivery of indigenous programs a few years ago it was an extremely worthwhile endeavour and although a small percentage may not have been from disadvantaged backgrounds the programs transformed the lives for the majority of the kids that went through the program.

The racism these kids faced was an eye opener in our modern inclusive society.

Despite some pretty tough backgrounds (through no fault of their own) these kids worked their guts out, not only to become fine aircrew but also to become role models for the next generation who still face a pretty bleak future.

75% of the kids we trained went on to good careers, unfortunately 25% did not, however the training nevertheless transformed their lives as well.

Sure they were subsidised. But that was an investment in breaking a poverty/alcohol/no hope cycle. For my taxes it was money well spent!

I am not aware of any current flying programs. But I think there are some still available for apprentices in WA, VIC, NT and QLD.

Your local Centrelink or Employment Network offices should be able to point you to the people who handle indigenous programs. Remember though these are still competitive, so just because you identify as aboriginal does not mean automatic acceptance.

Rotor Work
9th Aug 2012, 11:57
Back in the early 80's I did my CPL theory with Ron Robertson, I remember there was an Aboriginal student, that Missionary Aviation Fellowship were training up to be the first Aboriginal CPL, not sure if they still do schollarships.
Regards R W

Bonniciwah
9th Aug 2012, 12:03
The US is full of firearms too. Does that mean we should as well? We don't have to follow in their footsteps with everything.

That was clumsy language I used. What I meant was they probably have them here too.

Wizofoz
9th Aug 2012, 12:03
Although not very productive, presenting your narrow minded views,

While neither agreeing or disagreeing with either side here, it is the mark of the intellectual coward to label anyone who disagrees with him as "Narrow" or "Closed" minded.

You obvioulsy want to libve in a society of equal oppertunity.

Equal right to an opinion goes hand in hand with that...

Kharon
9th Aug 2012, 12:11
Big breath - not a new issue; indeed

I HAVE promised you, Gentlemen, for to-day some observations on The Value of Greek and Latin in English Literature: a mild, academic title, a camouflage title, so to say; calculated to shelter us for a while from the vigilance of those hot-eyed reformers who, had I advertised The Value of Greek and Latin in English Life might even now be swooping from all quarters of the sky on a suggestion that these dry bones yet were flesh: for the eyes I dread are not only red and angry, but naturally microscopic—and that indeed, if they only knew it, is their malady. Yet ‘surely’ groaned patient Job, ‘there is a path which the vulture’s eye hath not seen!’

Tell me who and I'll give you a chocolate frog - 1 each, so there's no fighting. :D

witwiw
9th Aug 2012, 12:15
For my taxes it was money well spent!

No, be better to jump on on leaky boat (of course with GPS and AMSA's phone number) and come to Australia. THEY get more of our taxpayer's dollars than our own, indigenous or otherwise.

Bonniciwah
9th Aug 2012, 12:38
THEY get more of our taxpayer's dollars than our own, indigenous or otherwise.

Give us an example.
Is this PPRuNE or Andrew Bolt's blog?

peterc005
9th Aug 2012, 14:13
@blades_of_glory - ignore the grumpy old conservative men on this forum. It's just that they have nothing better to do than hang around here all day, whining about anything newer than the 1950's.

I haven't heard of any indigenous aviation scholarships or grants, but they make sense to me.

What state are you in and where do you want to study?

Swinburne and RMIT both have aviation courses and may well have funding for course fee grants. Melbourne Uni certainly have this type of funding, but they don't have aviation.

PM me privately and I'll do what I can to assist.

An aviation career is a long hard slog and perseverance is essential.

Capt Claret
9th Aug 2012, 14:44
For the most part this thread demonstrates a racist and xenophobic australia.

It's all well and good to say that we should all have the same opportunities but how many white fellah's are born in the scrub and bought up in remote communities? Not many, ergo we don't all have the same opportunities.

peterc005
9th Aug 2012, 14:59
@blades_of_glory - never realised, but Qantas did run an "Indigenous Cadet Pilot Scholarship Program", although this goes back a few years and I think it may have ended.

I think you will find the larger universities have funding to assist Indigenous get into areas where they are under represented. It might take some digging to find one that can assist you

New Indigenous Cadet Pilot Scholarship

Sydney, 07 July 2005

Qantas has launched an Indigenous Cadet Pilot Scholarship Program worth more than $60,000 to help aspiring Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people enter the aviation industry.

Qantas Chief Pilot and Head of Flight Operations Captain Chris Manning, said the scholarship would be run in conjunction with the current Qantas Cadet Pilot Program.

"The program is designed to equip successful graduates with the skills, qualifications and experience required to work as a pilot at Qantas.
"We believe providing a scholarship will encourage suitable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with the potential to work as a commercial pilot, who wouldn't normally apply to Qantas because of the costs associated with the program," he said.

"Scholarship applicants would need to fulfil the education and licence requirements of the current Qantas Cadet Pilot Program, as well as be assessed as competitive in all of the selection assessments. However, Qantas would fund all expenses for the successful applicant during a Level two cadetship," Captain Manning said.

The program is split into two different categories - Level one is a 12 months course for applicants with little or no flying experience, whilst Level two is a six month course for people who already hold a commercial pilot licence.

Captain Manning said Qantas Flight Operations would continue to work closely with Qantas' Diversity Team to maximise employment opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

"We are looking forward to increasing Indigenous staff representation in the flying ranks of Qantas," Captain Manning added.

For more information about the Qantas Cadet Pilot Program go to: www.qantas.com.au/info/about/employment/pilots

Qantas is proudly supporting NAIDOC Week (National Aboriginal Islander Day of Observance Committee) 3-10 July with special inflight messages of support on all Australian domestic services.
Qantas sponsors various Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander arts, cultural and sporting initiatives including the AFL's Indigenous programs and Bangarra Dance Theatre.
Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication (3292)

smiling monkey
9th Aug 2012, 15:19
I seem to recall that one of the questions asked from the online application form for the majors was whether you're of indigenous heritage or a Tores Strait Islander. Can't remember which one, whether it was Virgin, Qantas or both. I've been curious as to why they would ask such a question for a pilot job application. Anyone know?

tail wheel
9th Aug 2012, 20:48
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Closed-1.gif