PDA

View Full Version : Initial call for GA inbound to LTN

Don D Cake
4th Apr 2002, 10:34
Or any other class D I guess....

I've spent an hour or two bumbling around Cambs and Beds in a PA28 with "L" plates on and I'm returning to Luton to entertain you with a couple of bounces and a big balloon :D About 10 miles out I give you a call. How much info do you want initially? Would you prefer just "G-ABCD PA28 inbound", do you want my postion as well, anything else?

You've been extremely nice bunch, you haven't laughed/shouted at me when my R/T procedure has been pathetic and you seem to slot us in between the big boys with ease, I'd just like to make your life a little easier.

Cheers

spekesoftly
4th Apr 2002, 14:40
Your suggestion for an initial 'free-call' to a busy Approach Control unit gets my vote, and is preferable to a long winded intro.

"GABCD PA28 inbound" or "GABCD PA28 for transit", gives the controller the option to reply with either "pass your details" or "standby", if he/she is not able to immediately process your request. Less chance of being asked to repeat your message, and more likely to receive your clearance without delay. :)

When asked to pass your details, please include your point of departure, the type of clearance required, VFR/SVFR/IFR, and where you wish to enter the Control Zone, if applicable. Perhaps it's also worth mentioning that a number of Control Zones have published VFR routes/lanes, so a bit of pre-flight 'homework' is useful. ;)

There are standing agreements at some Airports, between ATC and based operators for 'local flights', with abbreviated R/T and procedures.

If you are ever unsure or in difficulty, please seek early clarification or help on the R/T. Your enjoyable flight to Luton should hopefully be typical of ATC in general. :)