PDA

View Full Version : Sandtoft Barton

coopervane
26th Jul 2012, 20:04
Anyone suggest a good route from Sandtoft to Barton?
Fancy Sandtoft-Crossland Moor then M62/M60 all the way to Swinton Interchange.
Problem as always is the cloud base to remain VMC.
To remain at safety height but stay out of controlled airspace needs a nice clear day which over the Pennines is unpredictable.

Which way would you go?
Coops

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jul 2012, 20:44
TNT, Crewe, low level corridor.

G

flybymike
26th Jul 2012, 23:25
I think your suggested route is just fine. GTE's route will take you all day....;)

A and C
27th Jul 2012, 08:10
Remember the safety altitude is for when you can see we're you are going, in good VMC all you have to do is look out of the window and comply with Rule 5.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jul 2012, 08:13
Remember the safety altitude is for when you can see we're you are going, in good VMC all you have to do is look out of the window and comply with Rule 5.

"can't see" I think.

Lots of instructors teach the use of MSA in VFR, it's very restrictive and frankly unnecessary.

On the other hand, coopervane sounded a little nervous of poor viz, hence my very conservative suggested route.

G

Them thar hills
27th Jul 2012, 19:51
Coops
Barton via Crosland Moor, no problem, but going through Crosland's overhead could be exciting as the circuits are at 1825 QNH and joining aircraft could normally be as high as 2825 QNH, cloudbase permitting.....(on a good day)
You'd be better passing abeam by a couple of miles. Don't forget Moorside Edge twin radio masts (1637ft QNH) just east of the M62 bridge.
Have fun.
tth

coopervane
28th Jul 2012, 00:23
Hi and thanks for your input. Some good tips.
It's not about nervous but more about knowing what to expect.
Planning especially when you haven't been before.
It's a bit of a sandwich past Huddesfield but you are right if the weather and vis ok you can drop down a bit. Have driven over the M62 many time and know how the weather up there can be very changeable.
Anyway will give it a go and will watch out for all the obstacles !!
Thanks again chaps
Coop

7of9
28th Jul 2012, 17:15
Hope to see you at our airfield soon, you will be most welcome.
Trev.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/kirksandall/SandtoftPoster.jpg

coopervane
29th Jul 2012, 05:54
Hope to meet you soon Trev, just joined. What a great friendly club. Cheers mate.
Coop

7of9
29th Jul 2012, 08:10
Hope to meet you soon Trev, just joined. What a great friendly club. Cheers mate.
Coop

Yes Same here, Nice place to fly, Friendly place too, Hope to see you soon, I'm there most weekends either Flying or on fire duty Sundays.
Regards Trev.