PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on Distance Learning

speedy688
4th Apr 2002, 09:33
I'm currently working in IT and was planning to splash out in a couple of years time on an Integrated course. After reading the posts here and due to recent events, I'm not quite as enthusiastic to part with £50k and am considering distance learning to get me started (I also can't wait much longer as I'm too eager). Few questions if anyone can help:

1. Is it possible to buy the books\study material and work at home towards passing the 14 exams & not have to be registered with a flying school (& pay them money)? If so can any books\study packs be recommended?

2. Is there a time limit between passing the first exam and having to pass the last?

3. Can the exams be sat at any time you feel like?

4. Do they have to be sat at Gatwick?

5. Is it a good idea to self study & pass the 14 exams while saving to do the flying aspect of the CPL?

FlyingForFun
4th Apr 2002, 09:55
Hi speedy,

I've recently started distance learning, so I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will put me right!

1) Yes, but there's no point in doing so. You have to complete an "approved training course", and since all approved training courses will include all the study material you need, there's no point buying study material anywhere else

2) Yes, but I can't remember what it is - I think it's 2 years, but I'm not sure.

3) Pretty much. They're generally in the first week of each month. There's a limit on how many "visits" to the exam centre you can make - I think it's 7 - so you can't do one exam a month every month, because you'd use up your visits quickly. In practice, the school you choose will decide this for you. Most schools arrange things so that you split the exams into 2 sets, (either 7 in each, or 6 and 8). This still gives you plenty of spare visits if you need to do re-sits.

4) Yes

5) Yes, but do try to keep the flying current at the same time.

Hope that helps,

FFF
-----------

GonvilleBromhead
4th Apr 2002, 10:04
Pretty much there FFF, a couple points;

I think the time limit is 18 months from the date of the first pass and there are a few venues, Gatwick being one of them. The others being Glasgow, Oxford, and Silsoe in Bedfordshire.

You can attempt each paper no more than 4 times, and have 6 sittings in total.

Check out the CAA site at www.caa.co.uk should have all the details on there.

speedy688
4th Apr 2002, 10:19
Thanks FFF & GonvillBromHead, thats exactly the info I needed. One more question following on from what you said, can you recommend a flying school to do the approved distance learning? Oxford? Cabair?

itchy kitchin
4th Apr 2002, 10:26
Sorry if i sound biased, I am at Pilot Assist college in cambs. My opinion is that it is first class. Look em up on the web!
:cool:

GonvilleBromhead
4th Apr 2002, 10:31
Bristol GS for me, very good.

Rote 8
4th Apr 2002, 11:07
Speedy

I may be wrong but reading between the lines I think you may not yet have got yourself a PPL. If this is not the case then forgive me but if it is the case then your first step needs to be to start your PPL training and make sure that you are able to get a Class 1 medical (The CAA will oblige for a trifling £400!).

In order to sit the exams you do not need to be 'signed up' with a flying school but you do need to be signed up with an approved distance learning provider.

The exam test centres are at Gatwick, Oxford, Cranfield (Silsoe), Old Warden (Home of Shuttleworth Collection) and Glasgow.

I think GB is correct. You have 18 months from the time of passing the first exam. This is quite a scary limit for someone like myself working through the course so slowly.

In answer to your final question yes I think it is a good idea. But be prepared for the fact that on top of a full time job it is bl00dy hard work.

I am studying with Bristol, who have a glowing reputation amongst the regulars on this site. However since I have never laid eyes on the material from the competition I can not comment on which is the best. (But I am v happy with Bristol so far).

Cheers

RowleyUK
4th Apr 2002, 11:24
A bit of info..

Rather than post the link i think ill post the info......

14 Exams.

18 months to pass all fourteen starting at the end of the month you gained your first pass in any of the exams.If you dont do it in this time....you have to retake them all!!!!!

4 attempts at any one paper, but only allowed 6 visits to the testing centre.

36 months to get your CPL/IR from the date of your last pass in the last exam. If you dont do it in this time then you have retake all the ground exams again!

I dont know a great deal about distance learning, but what i can say is that the exams are hard........It takes hard work!!

I, personally, dont think i would be able to pass the exams without doing the course full time! (but thats just me)

speedy688
4th Apr 2002, 12:28
Thanks for the extra info, much appreciated. I have a PPL from Orlando Flight Training (3 week job). I probably don't appreciate how much work the distance learning will be, but I think I would rather be working my bo***ks off than sitting around and thinking about it for much longer - only 25 years old but want to get stuck in ASAP - was going to save for an integrated course but can't wait any longer to get learning & earning!

Again, thanks for all your replies. You've all been very helpful.

Delta Wun-Wun
4th Apr 2002, 16:20
Rote 8 Don`t worry about the time limit.You are only putting yourself under extra pressure......Think of it like this...You can take as long as you like for the first 8 exams because until you sit them the clock doesn`t start ticking,that leaves you 18 mths to pass the last 6 exams.:)

mboulton
4th Apr 2002, 17:31
I strongly recommend giving Roger Henshaw of GTS Ltd a call . Ex PPSC Chief Ground Instructor. I have seen their distance learning material, and know one can touch it for quality 01202 580809

mintfavour
5th Apr 2002, 07:07
I will be going the distance learning route. I have decided to go to bristol. As I understand you have to do 2 weeks study on site at bristol at the end of each module ie. four weeks in total.
As mentioned above about the test centre locations. do you have to do the study at bristol and then travel to a test centre, or do you do the exam at bristol with the school.

GonvilleBromhead
5th Apr 2002, 07:34
Mintflavour, when you feel you are pretty much ready for the exams, (or a little bit before to give time for the arrangements to be made) you will arrange to attend the Bristol 2 week brush up course on-site.

You don't have to, but most people will then go straight from the Bristol 2 weeks into the exams the following week.

The exams must be taken at one of the aforementioned centres, not Bristol.