PDA

View Full Version : College degree vs Flight school

Nekro
26th Jul 2012, 09:12
So you just graduated from high school and your dream is to be a commercial pilot, what do you do first? would it be better if someone goes to college and get a 4 year degree or go straight into flight school? especially as the industry is in crisis right now, would going to college be an advantage in the future? after a lot of thinking, I thought about going to college first so I can have a back up plan. do any experienced pilots here have college degrees?

RedBullGaveMeWings
26th Jul 2012, 09:23
A degree can be used as back up if you lose your licences due to medical problems.
There are chief pilots, head of operations and others that held important operations in Airlines that do not have a degree at all.
So if you think that a degree can improve your chances of employment and have a great career, you are wrong.
A degree can still be useful though.

Personally, I have recently graduated from high school and going straight to flight school in August.

Seabreeze
26th Jul 2012, 09:52
It surely depends on the quality of your university. Some of the US colleges do no research and have very low SAT entry levels, so little is to be gained by doing a degree with those. On the other hand some institutions and degrees are highly respected and you will get respect yourself from earning a degree there.

The fact that existing CEOs and Chief Pilots do not have degrees is a matter of history which will change with time. A good degree does enhance ability to think objectively, and sort and assess complex information within a time frame. Although the university process looks different, it has many of the same needs of a management job. [It is nearly always those that don't have a degree that say they have no purpose].

In times of trouble when jobs are short it is probably true that those with degrees have a better chance of employment. While it is true that you don't need a degree to fly an aeroplane, the push from some sectors to underline this only serves to demean the profession of pilot, (and probably makes management rub their hands with glee as they only have to deal with workers of minimal academic background who have no idea what is going on).

horses for courses. I have a degree.

good luck

SB

average-punter
26th Jul 2012, 10:03
Are you in the US? If so I think you have to have a degree to join one of the majors.

Nekro
26th Jul 2012, 10:09
Thanks for the feedback gents.
With the current situation in the industry I also think more pilots are going to have uni degrees. and I'm not from the US. I heard US major airlines require degrees though.
but I'm planning on doing Bachelor of International Logistics Management. I just can't get aviation out of my mind though, so I can't see a long term future with that career. I will probably go to flight school no matter what when I graduate.