PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations before CTC or OAA Integrated ATPL Course?

CoreyFlynn
25th Jul 2012, 16:50
I'm 15 years of age and in the future I aspire to be an Airline pilot. I am seriously considering doing rather the CTC Cadet Programme, OAA ATPL Integrated Course or an airline specific course after my A- Levels (or higher education). As I would like to have the best chance in succeeding and successfully applying please could you answer these questions...

1. If I meet the requirements for the course roughly what is the chance of successfully entering and completing the training?

2. What should I begin researching now?

3. If i have GCSE Triple Science at A- grades, is there a point taking Physics as well as Maths at A-Level if i don't like it?

4. Any more recommendations?

It would be really grateful if you could answer these for me as I am so enthusiastic to be a pilot as my career.

Also if you have done or doing any of these courses, please could you give me your Skype or yahoo chat adress, so that i can have a conversation.

Cheers ;)

PURPLE PITOT
25th Jul 2012, 17:26
Well, before the moderators refer you to the search function,

1. If you have enough money you will pass.

2.Research how to get the £100k you will need, and how you are going to pay it back.

3.Irellevant.

4. Study hard at school.

keith williams
25th Jul 2012, 19:36
There are a great many threads and post discussing the relative merits of integrated and modular courses. Most of these concentrate on the training format and whether or not integrated course students have any real advantage over modular students when seeking their first flying job. These subjects have been discussed to such an extent that there is nothing to be gained by discussing them again.

One of the fundamental problems with all integrated courses is the requirement to pay large sums of money before the training is carried out.
Following the recent demise of PTC it is worth spending some time considering the wisdom of signing up for any course that requires such payments.

When attending seminars and open days the sales staff will undubtedly do their best to convince you that their company not only the best available, but also that it is absolutely rock solid.

There is no such thing as a company that cannot go broke! Rolls Royce did it. PanAm did it. Some would argue that whole countries (such as Argentina and Iceland) have done it. It is entirely possible that any or indeed all of the FTOs can do it.

Signing up for any of the integrated courses involves taking a bet on whether or not the FTO will be in business long enough to complete your training.

mrmum
25th Jul 2012, 20:05
1) Almost certain if you throw enough money at it.

2) Whether or not it's a good idea to pay £85k+ upfront to an integrated provider, when you can spend 2/3's of that PAYG modular.

3) No

4) Do a PPL first, even if you go with the slick PR/sales of integrated

mad_jock
25th Jul 2012, 20:33
Its less than 2/3rds of the price.

If you are in someway part of a company cadet scheme thats the way to do it.

If you are paying yourself it is an extreme gamble not only for the money but also that you will get a job afterwards.

Dick Whittingham
25th Jul 2012, 20:35
The RAF spent £millions trying to find a test to show who would pass RAF training. The last I heard of it,when I was Gp Capt (Fly Trg) was that the only two factors of statistical significance were youth and previous flying time

So get a Class 1 medical and start flying. Good luck

flystrathclyde
25th Jul 2012, 21:05
Why not consider the 'structured modular' route?

Benefits of integrated with the cost saving of modular.

We work with AST at Perth in Scotland; there are probably others about.