PDA

View Full Version : Large Breed Dog Owner in Dubai?

NGFellow
24th Jul 2012, 07:41
Wondering if there is anyone on Pprune who own a large breed dog in Dubai? (Great Dane, Bullmastiff, Boerboel etc). Interested in knowing where you get pet food from, and any other pertinent information such as forums, group get togethers etc. Thanks in advance.

plasticmerc
24th Jul 2012, 12:03
I would be very interested as well as I have a mongrel of a girl Great dane, mastiff cross. Would like to meet people in the area and get some info as well.:ok:

Dilligas
24th Jul 2012, 13:23
This does not help you guys regarding food etc, but a couple of years ago on the beach a guy had a very large dog, shaved clean except for the head which was curly hair. I asked him what it was and was told a Labradoodle. Mixture between a Labrador and a large poodle.

Busbo
24th Jul 2012, 13:52
Please excuse me going slightly off-topic bus as a few dog owners might read this I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask about people's views on taking a dog from the UK to Dubai.

We have a 3 year old typically dopey, lovable golden Lab and are considering our opitions with a move to Dubai for EK (if they'll have me).

Any advice welcome. Does anyone know the EK policy on dogs in company housing? Are there good kennels available because no doubt we will spend time returning to the UK?

nitro rig driver
24th Jul 2012, 17:00
3 branches dotted around Dubai with these guys for food etc

www.pets-delight.com (http://www.pets-delight.com)

Kennels www.dkc.ae (http://www.<b>dkc.ae</b>) ..they will also do all your importation paperwork etc

Vets also stock a good range of food

I use www.vet-hosp.com (http://www.vet-hosp.com) in Al Qouz..

NGFellow
25th Jul 2012, 06:48
Most lease agreements probably have a no pet clause, and generally locals are not very comfortable with dogs. In my case, I was able to have the Real Estate agent make a change in the lease from "NO PETS" to "NO PETS IN THE COMMON AREA" of the villa compound, which is fair and understandable given that not everyone likes dogs. I was told that while the pet clause is standard, many people keep pets anyway, and from the landlords perspective if your pet (or you) misbehave he can use the clause to evict you.

As most dog owners know, the cost of maintaining a dog far outweighs the cost of initial purchase. The expenses you have to consider will be import costs, higher vet and food costs, and somewhat restricted run around areas and social interaction at the doggie park. Upon return similar costs as well as quarantine. Having said that, if your dog is truly a family member and you can somehow afford it, bringing him/her here is a given.
Now if you have a place for him back home where you feel he/she will be happier (on a farm for example with some of your extended family) then you need to think harder.

archer_737
25th Jul 2012, 09:37
Busbo;

Any advice welcome. Does anyone know the EK policy on dogs in company housing? Are there good kennels available because no doubt we will spend time returning to the UK?

I read in the EK pilot conditions briefing that EK does not recommend you to bring any pet but understand that you may want to.

I asked that to one of the HR representatives while in DXB and she told me that from all the buildings they own in the city, only 3 are "pet friendly".
When you are supposed to move there you have to ask for the apartment to be in the pet friendly building but obviously if they're occupied you won't get one.
Basically EK says "you can but we don't guarantee".

But, that is for a unmarried or married with no kids F/Os. For Captain or a F/O with kids a Villa is provided and then I guess that pets will be welcome in these houses (with garden) but that's just a guess.

NGFellow
26th Jul 2012, 07:30
I just read that an import of any animal less than 4 months of age is prohibited. There is also a list of prohibited breeds for import into the UAE.
EK won't transport certain breeds per their policy. KLM is supposed to be very good with pet transporting. They won't (for good reason) transport during summer months! If you are looking for a non-local pup, then you have to deal directly with a breeder overseas (best option) or go through a puppy-mill , pet shop or broker like europuppy.

Number2
26th Jul 2012, 14:48
We have 2 large dogs (40kg each) and live in Dubai. We transported them here from overseas. Not the best choice of food available but adequate.
We shave them both during the summer which seems to help them cope with the heat. PM if you have any more questions.

Northbeach
26th Jul 2012, 17:13
Warning: thread drift to follow.

I have been gone from the Middle East for decades now, but some early lessons last a lifetime.

and generally locals are not very comfortable with dogs

Dogs are considered “unclean” by many people of Middle Eastern culture, descent and orientation; this “uncleanliness” can be a difficult concept for some of us of a Western mindset to understand.

By unclean I do not mean unsanitary, although that certainly a component of the concept, but rather the dog is viewed with contempt because it embodies the ability to “contaminate” or “spoil” that which (primarily people) are otherwise clean and good. There is a spiritual element to the understanding as well. Contact with the unclean dog (in this case) will/could put the person having contact with the dog in a place of being out of favor or having offended God by becoming “spiritually dirty” (defiled). The dog is to be despised because it is dirty, dishonorable and can “ruin” (temporarily) a person’s good standing before God. The dog as it has the ability to transfer (infect if you will) it’s dirty despised condition upon you.

Many Middle Eastern people view themselves as noble, brave, brilliant, honorable and significant people. Having contact with things that are “unclean” (including but not limited to dogs) temporarily jeopardize all of those desirable traits. Hence the resistance to dogs carries into many other areas of life in the Middle East including company travel policy and custom/immigration/health rules when travelling or moving with pets.

I am not posting to debate the merits of such a view point, nor trying to convince anybody to adapt or incite others to rail against the viewpoint. The Middle East is 6,000 +/- years of cultural history; that is a lot of cultural inertia. I have absolutely zero interest in debating the merits of Middle Easterners and their cultural values or their philosophical viewpoints of dogs with expatriates. I would be interested in critique from Arabian pilots concerning the accuracy of my description of their views on dogs as pets. Please correct my inaccuracies.

When somebody immigrates from the West and then allows “Fido” to jump up and lick all over their face (with the same tongue that finished cleaning the dog’s anus twenty minutes ago) don’t be surprised if some of the locals recoil in horror.

Yes I own a dog; had one when we lived in the Middle East as well. No the dog does not lick my face.

Respectfully,

Northbeach

NGFellow
29th Jul 2012, 06:44
Well stated.:D To each his own. As far as dog food, ZiwiPeaks is the premium but very expensive brand. Also Royal Canin.

ABBOT
7th Aug 2012, 21:06
I have one German Shepheard and a Husky. Drop me a message and I can reveal all!