PDA

View Full Version : STAR clearance question?

Hold_Short
24th Jul 2012, 05:20
Hi all,

Trying to find out more information about transition over a waypoint issued in a STAR clearance and what is required by its issue.

For example, into Adelaide, GULFS THREE ARRIVAL, RIKAB TRANSITION, MAINTAIN (FL350). Is this meaning you must cross RIKAB at the transition level, ie 11000ft? Or is it just another conditional waypoint by which you navigate by with no altitude restrictions?

I understand transition altitudes and levels, but to use such a word with the issue of STAR clearance, I'm a tad unsure.

Any help would be appreciated

HS

The Green Goblin
24th Jul 2012, 05:25
It means Rikab is the transition waypoint onto the star.

Your FMS will give you this option or a GPS will preload it and require it to be deleted if you're not cleared by the waypoint.

I've never been asked this before?!!!?

Mstr Caution
24th Jul 2012, 05:54
I'm trying to get my head around what your asking, as I don't have the chart to look at.

If its altitude clearances your asking about.

If your cleared the STAR and maintain a Flight Level, you are not cleared to descend in order to satisfy the crossing heights required in a STAR. (in Australia)

Unlike flying in the USA, where they may issue a STAR in the form of "Descend via xyz Arrival abc Transition" in which case you are automatically cleared to the lower altitude prescribed on the STAR"

If its the word "transition", the term is used when there are multiple routings available in the STAR procedure & only highlights which geographical waypoint you should transition or "fly over".

Di_Vosh
24th Jul 2012, 05:56
If you were to look at the Polli2A into Canberra you'll see that there is a choice of five transitions to Polli. These transitions will be given largely depending on which direction you're coming from, but ATC can (and often do) give you a clearance direct to Polli.

The Gulfs Three arrival only has the one transition, but that doesn't mean that ATC can't clear you directly to Gulfs.

So I'd be guessing that your clearance could be either:

"Gulfs Three Arrival, Rikab transition, runway (05 or 23), FL350";

or:

"Track direct to Gulfs for the Gulfs Three Arrival, runway (05 or 23), FL350"

DIVOSH!

P.S. Looking at that STAR if I was landing on 05 I'd be pretty much at 7000' at Gulfs, therefore around 15,300' at Rikab.

EDIT: My note re: height at Rikab isn't relevant to the question. As stated by others, 'Transition' in the context of the STAR doesn't have anything to do with altitudes or FL's.

crwjerk
24th Jul 2012, 06:37
It's got nothing to do with the transition Altitude. It's the waypoint from where you either begin the STAR or proceed to the Landing Runway.

Tidbinbilla
24th Jul 2012, 09:35
The transition means track via one of the waypoints on the chart.

The only altitude restrictions are what's connected to the STAR and transition waypoint (if any). As in "Cross XXXXX below/above x-thousand. It has nothing to do with the transition level, which is constant in Oz.

Karunch
24th Jul 2012, 09:49
The transition reference is lateral only. Vertical is subject to a separate specific clearance. This does cause confusion for many foreign crews operating into Australia.

Capt Claret
24th Jul 2012, 10:02
In your scenario "Transition" has nothing to do with Transition Altitude or Level, it is simply the waypoint on your airway, from which you transition off the airway onto the STAR (route).

Unless node on the STAR chart, there are no special speeds or level requirements.

Capt Fathom
24th Jul 2012, 11:31
The question has been answered! Repeatedly!

Capn Bloggs
24th Jul 2012, 11:50
Say again?! :}

SOPS
24th Jul 2012, 15:30
I would suggest the question comes from a Micro Soft pilot...I mean I am cleared everyday on a Transition from LHR to SYD and know that it has nothing to do with the transition layer...give me a break !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!