PDA

View Full Version : Instructing around London during the Olympics

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jul 2012, 11:28
So, how is it going? Has anybody actually managed to do any teaching anywhere near London since the airspace restrictions started last week, or is it all going horribly wrong?

G

Sleeve Wing
23rd Jul 2012, 12:29
Managing at White Waltham.
A few teething problems but excellent Ops staff easing the way.

Some private aircraft have been moved off airfield for the duration.
Some pilots just disappearing until it's all over.

My view ? A simple extension of the existing airspace or temporary height restriction with specific Entry/Exits lanes for resident airfields, using the current Farnborough coverage, would have been adequate and considerably less work for ATC.
Farnborough are brilliant and it's always worked well before.There would have been no requirement for flight plans or the unnecessary work, delay and added stress.

With the Farnborough Show immediately prior, the effect has been to virtually close down the South East of England for a month and a half. I dread to think of the overall financial effect on private aviation down here.

Also the possibility of a convenient precedent having been set may well encourage our grasping regulators to try this unnecessary trick again for even a minor "security' requirement in the future............
Sledge hammer and nuts come to mind. :ugh:

Talkdownman
23rd Jul 2012, 16:19
Having a very peaceful time between Basingstoke and Newbury not above three point four. Hardly anybody about. Wearing 5047 but Farnborough haven't bothered me. Can actually get on with a lesson uninterrupted for a change... :)

dobbin1
23rd Jul 2012, 19:04
I'm based at Redhill, so no choice about it.

So far I have done several ex 4.1, 4.2, 6.1 and 6.2 lessons, all on triangular routes entirely inside the restricted zone. I have sneaked in a steep turn or two at a waypoint and (dare I say it) a couple of stalls on a refresher flight.

I have also managed a landaway at Manston and a couple of ex 10 and ex 16 lessons by flying out of the zone for a short while. I even managed an aerobatics sortie yesterday.

It is actually quite relaxing. The students know they must turn up on time, we have built extra time into our schedules (2 hour slots!) to do the admin and we get a controller to watch over us in almost empty airspace. I might even miss it when it is over.

The only downside is the extra time spent in the evening filing flight plans for the next day.

Duchess_Driver
23rd Jul 2012, 21:35
Once in the air, it's a complete non-event.

Couple of extra radio calls but no problems what-so-ever.

Getting plans in the system is turning out to be a smooth process as well now. Just needs a bit of planning for the regular lessons. If you've stored templates that get accepted it's not a problem at all.

Agreed, we've lost a little flex in maintenance runs and things and one-or-two technical problems we couldn't resolve inside the 30 mins 'grace' period but much better than I thought it was going to be.

What gets me really narked is muppets who hang on the allocator freq's giving their life storey. Plain and simple... callsign then authorisation number then shut up! (Oops...sorry...did that really come out!)

DD

flyboy1818
24th Jul 2012, 15:44
Based at an Airfield just outside of the Zone, so we get away with just setting a different transponder code. I have spotted a few instructors from other airfields in the Zone now working from our airfield, I have also met numerous private pilots who have moved for the duration of the games. Things are busy at our airfield!

whosyerdaddy
26th Jul 2012, 06:50
Based at Blackbushe, 3.5 NM inside the zone. In order to transit that half mile of restricted airspace I need to talk to 2 different Atlases and then they chuck me off to Farnboro who are as usual. If I have a half hour TL I do it all inside the zone to minimise unnecessary RT.
As the punters don't know or care about the restrictions I am just as busy as last July, but with the extra planning and FP filing.

METAR chronic
26th Jul 2012, 09:51
A couple of orbits necessary inside extended ATZ sometimes whilst trying to get on the Initial Control Frequency but no delays returning, even with landaway where my Flight Plan was activated right on the 30 minute buffer. Atlas generally helpful with hand offs rather than free calls the norm.

METAR chronic

Its about time

Cobalt
26th Jul 2012, 11:43
Instructing normally out of Biggin, well in the zone.

I took one student from zero to Ex. 9 (turning) in a week (2 sorties per day). Except for turning and stalling, almost everything else can be taught in a reasonably straight line within R112, it just requires a bit more thought when preparing the lesson how it all will fit together.

Now that he has flown turning, he can fly the orbits while I negotiate with Atlas for zone entry [just kidding - only had one sortie where that happened so far].

The biggest problem is that the negativity around the restrictions did scare a lot of people away months ago, so bookings are unusually low during the week [but weekends are still fully booked].