PDA

View Full Version : Irish Class 1 and flying solo in UK

GolfTangoFoxtrot
23rd Jul 2012, 10:11
Dear all,

I have an Irish Class 1 medical (stupidly required by PTC just so I could go to my airline cadetship interview). I'm now taking some flying lessons back home and am wondering if the IAA Class 1 will allow me to fly solo in the UK or will I need a CAA Class 2?

Thanks in advance,

GTF

Ronaldsway Radar
3rd Aug 2012, 17:12
In a similar situation to you GTF.

Reading through JAR FCL 3 and some associated documentation on the CAA's website; I would conclude that so long as the Class 1 was issued by a JAA member state it should be fine so long as you're training for a JAA PPL.

Obviously with EASA coming in to play soon I've no idea just yet how it'll work out. I've dropped an e-mail to the CAA Medical Team, so I'll let you know what they come back with.

RR :ok:

Ronaldsway Radar
23rd Aug 2012, 22:13
So I finally received a response.

Unfortunately it was written by the CAA ergo somewhat cryptic;

"Thank you for your email below.

EU European legislation (EASA) came into force on the 8th April 2012 which is going to change the pilot licensing rules and will affect the privileges of many existing licence holders. The UK CAA will not be issuing EASA licences until 17th September 2012. Applicants should be aware that the current Licensing guide LASORS will cease on 16th September 2012. For information regarding credits for training that had commenced prior to the 17th September 2012 please refer to CAP 804 Section 7, Part A, Page 7 ‘Article 9.’

Please refer to CAP804, Part I, Section 3, page 1 which states that ‘The CAA will only accept applications from pilots whose medical records are held in the UK.’"

Looks like CAP 804 is my next port of call. Though if anybody can clarify in the meantime whether or not I will need to transfer my Class 1 to a CAA Class 1 it'd be much appreciated!

mutt
24th Aug 2012, 04:09
Yes you do.... JAR FCL 3 stipulates medical must be conducted in country of training, you used to be allowed do the subsequent medicals after training with any JAR AME, but that has also stopped.

Mutt