PDA

View Full Version : Seaplane pilot

Nekro
21st Jul 2012, 23:00
Hey, I was just wondering if there are any seaplane pilots in here? With a JAA, ATPL, IR, 250 hours, do I have a chance in getting a job as a seaplane pilot? in somewhere like Canada, Maldives, Australia etc? I'm planning to build my hours there then apply for a big airline. is this possible? any info about seaplane's would be a help, thanks for your time.

Nekro
21st Jul 2012, 23:43
Pilot requirements and application (http://www.maldivianairtaxi.com/intranet/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65:requirements-for-new-pilots&catid=54:general&Itemid=73) I came across this. it says for First officer I need: # ICAO CPL with Multi-Engine Instrument Rating # Seaplane rating (single engine float rating adequate) Say I go to ANY flight school now and do a CPL and a Multi-engine IR only. then I can do my ATPL when I choose to go to an airline. does that sound good? And how do I get a seaplane rating? say I go to Oxford aviation academy and just do the CPL and IR but there is no seaplane rating right...?

SloppyJoe
22nd Jul 2012, 04:01
What you find on websites are minimum requirements these are not what people normally get hired with. I currently fly with someone who worked for these guys a few years ago. You need a lot of float time to be hired as an FO or be Maldivian.

If you don't believe me send them an email asking what the realistic hiring minimums are for a place as an FO. I think you will be shocked.

If you do not have the right to work in USA or Canada and are not Maldivian I would forget about float planes. Not just for this job, I mean all float plane jobs. Most are in N America and those that are not require high experience that you wont be able to get unless you can work in N America.

redsnail
22nd Jul 2012, 04:05
For starters, you don't have an ATPL with 250 hours.
All the commercial float/sea plane operators I know require more hours and experience than 250 hours.
For a float endorsement, you need to find a school or company with authority from the regulators that do them. I doubt Oxford (OAA) do them.
The company I worked for in the Kimberley (Aus) used to do them for suitably keen pilots but they're out of business now.

Re working in Australia, you need to fulfil the visa requirements to work there.
I've worked with guys who flew the float Twotters in the Maldives, he had thousands of hours before he got a job.

Shark Slayer
22nd Jul 2012, 04:38
Reddo is quite correct.

I suspect Nekro has a frozen ATPL?

Nekro
22nd Jul 2012, 04:42
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm not Maldivian and I'm not sure if I can work in N.America or Canada .. I'm from the middle east. Well my plan was to do a complete fATPL/JAA then do a Float license at a place that offers it. then get a job at some local seaplane company or something. like some guys go as bush pilots in Africa when the finish their training since no airline is going to hire them with 200 hours.. I want to do the same really. build hours, get paid.

500 above
22nd Jul 2012, 07:26
There are always these guys Welcome to Seawings LLC Dubai | Scenic Air Charters | Seaplane Charters in Dubai (http://www.seawings.ae/)

Nekro
22nd Jul 2012, 19:37
I'm not from the UAE so I can't apply in the Emirates cadet program!

Does '' seawings'' hire first officers with low hours? anyone know the requirements? I can't find it on their page :ugh:

Bealzebub
22nd Jul 2012, 20:13
Nekro,

Have you done so much as a trial lesson towards your PPL yet? To be honest all of this "what if" stuff is pretty meaningless at this stage. A bit of research on your own would reveal most of what you are asking. The experience levels expected for particular types of flying and with specific companies are usually quite easy to find, either on their websites or by doing a search on this one.

First thing is first. Get out there and see if you like flying, and whether you have an aptitude for it.

Nekro
22nd Jul 2012, 20:36
Yeah I've done some trial lessons in a Cessna, it's the only thing I wanna do really.

There is no 'career' section on their website, I emailed them, still no response! (seawings that is)

500 above
23rd Jul 2012, 10:21
Sea wings do not hire low timers. They will accept low float time but want a fairly high TT. Which nationality are you?

AdamFrisch
23rd Jul 2012, 13:53
The other problem you will run in to is that, as far as I know, there is nowhere in Europe to do an AMES rating (multi engine sea), nor are there any examiners with that rating. You'll have to do it in North America and then somehow convince your CAA to issue it on your JAA license.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrott
23rd Jul 2012, 14:06
I don't think ex-pats can get a visa to fly as F/O in the Maldives any more.

Nekro
23rd Jul 2012, 21:29
I'm from Bahrain. (middle east) Ah yeah I think I can only do my float time in somewhere like Canada or North America. One question though, say I just want to be a seaplane pilot for the rest of my life, how do I do that? are there like special schools out there? and when I finish will I be able to work in somewhere like Canada/N.America? Are there any islands like Maldives that operate Seaplanes? I heard about the Fiji Isalnds but just can't find anything.

redsnail
24th Jul 2012, 07:19
Nekro, first you get your CPL on conventional aircraft. Then you get a job flying larger singles, ideally C206s and the like. Some twin time won't hurt. Whilst you're doing that, keep an eye out for companies that operate floats. Find out what they're looking for and then get that experience.

But first, you must get the CPL.

Nekro
24th Jul 2012, 09:27
Well I just found it its very very hard to work in Canada or the U.S for an international that is. and sadly most seaplane companies are from Canada and the U.S...
I've researched about Maldives and they don't hire foreign first officers anymore. so what do I do now? :ugh: my only option is bush pilot in Africa I guess.. but I sure don't wanna live in the jungle.

damo1089
24th Jul 2012, 10:59
I've researched about Maldives and they don't hire foreign first officers anymore.Do you have a source for this information? I'm gonna have to completely change my game plan if this is the case...

my only option is bush pilot in Africa I guess.. but I sure don't wanna live in the jungle. You wont get anywhere with an attitude like this.

There would be so many determined pilots in Africa looking for their first start who would probably sleep in a swag every day if they had to.

You can answer all of your questions yourself with a few phone calls. Seriously man, get motivated or get out, or your flying training investment will turn into one big liability.

Actually answering one of your questions, however:

Air-Hart in Canada will do all of your training on floats. From ab to CPL.

mysterywhiteboy83
24th Jul 2012, 11:43
</title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-GB" /> <meta name="myLanguageType" content="englishUTF8" /> <meta name="Copyright" content="© 2012 The Emirates Group. All Rights Reserved." /> <meta name="Section" content=""></meta> <meta nam (http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/english/Careers_Overview/national_careers/National_AbInitio_Pilot_Programme.aspx)If you live in the UAE you could always go for the Emriates Cadet Program A fully funded fATPL and salary during training. Why wasn't I born in the UAE :(

Anyone know a good document forger by any chance?

Piano Man
27th Jul 2012, 03:32
First and foremost it should be noted that seaplane flying is not easy flying. It is challenging, but rewarding flying and you should only venture into the world of floats IF YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT IT.

It is not an hour building exercise either. Now I can not talk about North America but can comment about Australia.

It is almost unheard of that low timers 'walk' into floats. You have to do the hard yards i.e be a dock hand, wash planes, be ground transport drives etc.

Insurance is massive for floats as it is some of the highest risk assessment flying you can do, and as such this is why people normally require time on floats (normally under ICUS) or a few hundred water landings before hand.

With regards to the Maldives, I have heard rumours that they are taking foreign F/Os again now, but with 250 hours and no float time you have to be Maldivian. That is not sounding harsh but it is the reality!

Good luck! I went down the seaplane way for my career and have loved (mostly every moment of it)!