PDA

View Full Version : Combined JAA/FAA training benefits?

magicspeed
21st Jul 2012, 20:31
I know some Europeans go to the States in order to get their FAA and JAA licenses and then they still have to convert their IR in the end.

What are the benefits and the procedures of this method? Will you have dual licenses even after conversion (Like FAA CPL and JAA CPL at the same time)?

B2N2
24th Jul 2012, 13:07
JAA or EASA rules do not allow an IR to be done outside of a JAA memberstate.
AS in every JAA/EASA certified school in the US will have you do your IR back in Europe, there is no other way.
FAA training plus JAA/EASA conversion can be cheaper then JAA/EASA training alone.
So one benefit is cost.
Others are:

Time savings because of better flying weather
Both sets of certificates (FAA and JAA/EASA) for more job opportunities
Exponentially more choice in flight schools if you train FAA

magicspeed
24th Jul 2012, 14:30
JAA or EASA rules do not allow an IR to be done outside of a JAA memberstate.
AS in every JAA/EASA certified school in the US will have you do your IR back in Europe, there is no other way.
FAA training plus JAA/EASA conversion can be cheaper then JAA/EASA training alone.
So one benefit is cost.
Others are:

Time savings because of better flying weather
Both sets of certificates (FAA and JAA/EASA) for more job opportunities
Exponentially more choice in flight schools if you train FAA

If I get:

FAA CPL ME and IR.

What is the procedure to be able to fly for a European airline? Will the CPL and ME be automatically converted? Or will I have to do ATPL Theory + IR in Europe again?

zondaracer
24th Jul 2012, 15:05
If you do FAA CPL IR ME, and you want to fly in Europe, you have to do the ATPLs + CPL flight test + MEIR flight test + MCC. It can cost well over £10,000 to do this.

BigGrecian
24th Jul 2012, 16:56

To specify further - only the test must be done in EASA airpsace.

All the training can be done in the USA - and then most schools provide some training in Europe as well. There is no requirement other than the test to be done in Europe.

There are 2 schools in Florida with IR approval - only one activily uses their approval though.

GoAroundAgain1
24th Jul 2012, 19:14
"If you do FAA CPL IR ME, and you want to fly in Europe, you have to do the ATPLs + CPL flight test + MEIR flight test + MCC. It can cost well over £10,000 to do this"

Can you not sit these exams in US CAA/EASA approved schools?? And just complete your IR in the Europe.?

zondaracer
24th Jul 2012, 20:39
Can you not sit these exams in US CAA/EASA approved schools?? And just complete your IR in the Europe.?

Yes, it can be done in the US except for the IR flight test. That is basically what the students do who get both FAA and JAA ratings at these US JAA schools.

seymoreskye
6th Sep 2012, 21:27
When we say "Complete"the IR back in Europe, do we mean just the IR test? I am under the impression like BG said that you can do all the IR training out in the US and then go to EU and take the test??
Does anybody have a rough ballpark figure on the cost of this?

What countries like both JAA & FAA on you license?

M

Sad11
7th Sep 2012, 10:58
which school is that using approvl to do all JAA in U.S?

B2N2
7th Sep 2012, 12:27
What countries like both JAA & FAA on you license?

It is not about any country requiring or "liking" both.
You increase you job opportunities because you can go "either/or"
In some regions of the world there is a preference for either/or and some countries may not care at all and a validation is easy for either one.

When we say "Complete"the IR back in Europe, do we mean just the IR test?
Theoretically you can but practically your cahnces of passing are very slim without at least some transition training into different airspace with different procedures and requirements.

If you hold a ICAO CPL ME-IR and you have passed the 14 ATPL written exams a practical conversion plus skill tests will set you back somewhere between $12,000 and $15,000.
Depending on the school you go to.