PDA

View Full Version : Brunei 212 accident - 10 dead

212man
21st Jul 2012, 13:55
10 die in tragic chopper crash (http://www.borneobulletin.com.bn/weekend/news/jul21h1.htm)

Sad news indeed and I hope the missing are found alive.

paco
21st Jul 2012, 15:02
Hear hear

phil

Ascend Charlie
21st Jul 2012, 23:19
Sad news indeed.

Even sadder was the print space devoted to His Regal Uppityness and his majestic relatives and his loyal hangers-on, rather than discussing the accident or the victims.

BluenGreen
23rd Jul 2012, 06:36
I believe it is now confirmed as 12 fatalities.

Is it only me, or does 14 people in a 212 sound like a lot?

cbox chip
23rd Jul 2012, 07:04
That's a full load for sure, no empty seats. What exactly do you mean by "a lot"? the 212 is certified for 14 passengers with a single pilot.

HueyDog
23rd Jul 2012, 07:28
14 onboard is not out of the question although the RBAF rarely flies their 212s with full loads. Has anyone heard news as to the cause of the crash?

Thud_and_Blunder
23rd Jul 2012, 21:24
Thanks for the heads-up, 212man. I've been away from the net for a few days so have only just spotted this - headed straight over to the Borneo Bulldust site to see what they have to say. From Sunday's BB I see they've named a 31-year old Air Force officer - not someone I recognise.

I appreciate that this will have a massive effect on such a small organisation; I wish all members of ATUDB the very best, and hope that the appropriate lessons can be learnt/ measures can be taken to reduce the risk of similar occurrences in the future.

212man, one of my oppoes from my time there (11 years ago) now works with you, I believe (SF). If you or he are able to discover any more details (crewman, landing site number, aircraft rego..) I'd be grateful.

Garfs
23rd Jul 2012, 23:50
My concolonced. I trained with Armed forces frm
Brunei a few years ago and am saddened by the news.

Not good for the region, another accident happened nearby in Kuching with 3 fatalaties a few days ago, involving an EC120 I believe

TWT
5th Sep 2012, 06:46
Brunei Bell 212 crash attributed to reckless flying (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/brunei-bell-212-crash-attributed-to-reckless-flying-376040/)

Brunei's defence ministry has attributed the July crash of an air force Bell 212, which killed 12 and injured two, to unauthorised low-level flying.

The crash occurred on 20 July this year, in clear weather, after 09:17 in the morning, the ministry said in a statement. The aircraft was transporting personnel between two landing zones after the completion of a training exercise.

The aircraft was declared missing at 13:53, upon which search and rescue operations started. Aircraft debris was located at 15:55.

A subsequent board of enquiry attributed the accident to reckless flying.

"The main cause of the [aircraft] crash was human error," the defence ministry said in a statement. "The aircraft was involved in controlled flight into terrain while conducting unauthorised low-level flying."

The pilot was in breach of procedures, and no mechanical issues were found with the helicopter after an investigation by the board and three foreign teams, the defence ministry added.

The pilot was flying at a speed of around 60-80kt (111-148km/h) along a river, banking the aircraft up to 45˚, before the helicopter crashed into a tree.

Following the incident, the board of enquiry recommended that the air force improve training, procedures and safety to prevent the reoccurrence of of such accidents.