PDA

View Full Version : QF Flight Dispatch.

Spitfire.
21st Jul 2012, 08:17
Hi.

I was wondering what is required to become a flight dispatcher in Australia.

In addition to this, anyone with information on becoming a dispatch officer with Q would be appreciated.

I currently work for Q Engineering and am looking to jump into dispatching.

Thanks.

IRCINTL
21st Jul 2012, 15:55
Austrailia does not have a national license, they have only company licenses from what I know. I trained a Quantas Dispatcher for the US license last year.

Spitfire.
24th Jul 2012, 11:02
Thank you.

It makes sense that our dispatchers attain international accreditations... It sounds very Q like. Did he pay for the license himself or did the company?

The problem is, I'm not sure if paying $X,XXX to do a/these license(s) would get me anywhere. There are many engineers who've self funded aircraft engineering type courses getting them no further than square naught.

Yet another Qantas occupation enigma. I thought it was tough breaking into engineering... How wrong I was when comparing to dispatching.

IRCINTL
24th Jul 2012, 16:43
He paid himself. Thing is now he can go anywhere with a recognised license, not just a company license.

IRCINTL
25th Jul 2012, 02:32
He paid himself. Thing is now he can go anywhere with a recognised license, not just a company license.

Masif Eego
25th Jul 2012, 12:39
[QUOTE]anyone with information on becoming a dispatch officer with Q would be appreciated. /QUOTE]

yeah sure,.......got to stand out from the many applicants that apply for a job in QF Flt Dispatch.

and sorry, but an FAA or any other ticket for that matter wont cut it with QF

[QUOTE]Thing is now he can go anywhere with a recognised license, not just a company license./QUOTE]

not so sure about, and not been my experience :ok:

Spitfire.
25th Jul 2012, 16:51
By "stand out" do you mean:

a) become a pilot
b) become a LAME
c) do some sort of course
Or
d) become a pilot and LAME and do every course under the sun pertaining to dispatching.

Would love to have more guidance.

Spitfire.
6th Aug 2012, 02:33
Well, no response. :/

I can only guess that a CPL or higher would get me a look in given that you share responsibility with the skippers for flights planned, so you'd have to know your $hit.

That means $XX,XXX and Y,YYY hours of time and a unknown amount of effort ... no thanks. I don't want to have to become a pilot, to become a dispatcher; seems a bit pointless really. Might as well just shoot for some wings and gold bars.

A Comfy Chair
6th Aug 2012, 02:52
Spitfire,

Plenty of people from other parts of Qantas have made the jump into Dispatch.

Yes there are (or at least have been) some pilotey types in there, but the majority are not.

As to what is required? There is no licence in AUS, so its just meet whatever standards the company sets. Different world to pilots and engineers with all those exams ;).

Spitfire.
6th Aug 2012, 03:35
Cheers mate.

Code89
11th Aug 2012, 09:23
Hi,

i had posted this question earlier on a different forum but never really got a satisfying answer.

Is there any provision in OZ where i can just do the PPL/CPL/ATPL etc.. theory subjects without the actual flying and obtain some kind of a certificate, which might get me considered for Dispatch jobs?

would appreciate some guidance

Cheers

Spitfire.
26th Dec 2012, 05:55
So here I am again. Requesting any information, again. I really want to jump from Q engineering into Q dispatching, so any information would be gratefully received.

I just want to know what kind of tertiary qualification the gods want?

If you could ask your dispatching friends that work for Q to answer this question via a personal message or on here, that would be great!

Merry Christmas.

silly walks
6th Jan 2013, 12:27
Spitfire
You have a PM

Spitfire.
21st Jan 2013, 11:54
Received with thanks. Check your inbox.