PDA

View Full Version : Complex question about f1 visa and flight school

boing55
21st Jul 2012, 04:22
hi guys
I have a complex question:
I have ICAO pilot license and at the same time I have bachelor degree in computer science . I planning to travel to USA and get the master degree in computer science AND to do so I need to apply for f1 visa . but there I will have free time and I decided to fly and build up hours during my free time
my question is:
is it legal to study at the university and fly at any flight school with f1 visa?
-can iI do it or no?
I need your ideas and your suggestions please

RedBullGaveMeWings
22nd Jul 2012, 15:28
Is your intent only hour building or attend a flight training course?
As far as I know, you do not need any specific visa to build up hours.

I don't know where you are from, but I am Italian and if I were to go to USA with the only purpose of building up hours my electronic passport would be enough to enter the country and fly hours. I would enter the country as a tourist and not as a student. Building up hours doesn't mean that you are enrolled in a course.

Gimili
22nd Jul 2012, 17:28
As long as you only build hours and don't do any training towards an initial license, you won't need a specific visa for the flying part.
So you only need to visit an FSDO or talk to an DPE to receive a FAA PPL license based on your ICAO license.

B2N2
23rd Jul 2012, 13:23
Your question is not complex at all.
You do not need a visa for :

Recurrency training
Check out's
Flight review
IPC
Time building
High Performance
Complex
High Altitude
Factory courses

According to our SEVIS contact a F1 visa for a different course of training is also sufficient to do any flight training towards the issuance of a certificate or rating.
You just need the TSA approval if you decide to get any additional ratings.
So you are good either way.

So you only need to visit an FSDO or talk to an DPE to receive a FAA PPL license based on your ICAO license. Uh.....NO
There is a little bit more involved.
The application process can take up to 60 days:
Airmen Certification - Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

boing55
23rd Jul 2012, 15:10
thanx guys
I have another question :
what if i want convert my ICAO CPL to faa and i am already inside USA with F1 visa (as student at university) is it possible to do it with F1?

B2N2
24th Jul 2012, 12:44
Isn't that what I just answered:

According to our SEVIS contact a F1 visa for a different course of training is also sufficient to do any flight training towards the issuance of a certificate or rating.
You just need the TSA approval if you decide to get any additional ratings.

boing55
24th Jul 2012, 15:12
thanx bro
i asked those questions because i wanna be in the safe side
thanx again guys:ok:

B2N2
24th Jul 2012, 15:13
You're welcome ;)