PDA

View Full Version : Sherburn Aero Club

richyrooster
20th Jul 2012, 19:41
Hi All,

I have recently gained my PPL and am really keen to do some flying at the weekends to build my experience as well as meeting new people.
I occasionally fly from Full Sutton which I really enjoy for the relaxed atmosphere, variety of aircraft types and cheap flying. However here doesn't seem to be much of a club or social scene (although I'm rarely there so maybe there is?).

So I'm considering joining Sherburn Aero Club which looks to have an active membership and club landaways. But it will cost me £110 joining fee plus £150 yearly membership. I will also need to pay for a check ride with the CFI.

Just wondered what people thought of the club, or if I'm missing something at Full Sutton?

MOREOIL
20th Jul 2012, 20:10
Breighton, £55.00 membership, hire through York flying school.
Very interesting place
MOREOIL

7of9
20th Jul 2012, 21:13
Sandtoft? Thought of trying there? Cheaper membership.

sherburn2LA
21st Jul 2012, 04:08
Sheburn is not the place it was when Sue was keeping the bar open all hours and flying was cheap as chips (well compared to now anyway) but it still a nice spot and probably has more going on than anywhere else in the area,

md 600 driver
21st Jul 2012, 07:59
I second BREIGHTON and York flying school they have a 150 and a 172

loaded as a dice
21st Jul 2012, 11:48
joining fee and check ride are a one-off cost, then the doors are open to lots of aircraft types to hire, tarmac runway (handy with all this rain) as well as grass runways, good food, great facilities, and busy social side(group flyouts etc).

cirrusdancer
21st Jul 2012, 15:18
I've been a member at Sherburn for a couple of years now and find it a friendly club with good facilities. I can't comment on the social side as I only go there to fly but catering is very good and the brick clubhouse is a definate step up from some of the porta cabins you find at some clubs. Especially good if you take a non-flying companion who has to hang around while you fly.
There's no 150 on the fleet so you'll need to factor in some training on the AT-3 or a PA-28 to get signed off on type, but again that's a one off cost.
Happy to show you around, PM me and we can arrange a date.

richyrooster
22nd Jul 2012, 20:36
Many thanks for the replies and for the alternative suggestions.

Lagentium
23rd Jul 2012, 12:05
Richy,
I have a share at Sherburn, been a member for a few years. It's like anything in clubs you get cliques of people who tend to isolate themselves from people and think of themselves as being above the rest, my attitude to those is to let them crack on with it! But there are some brilliant people at Sherburn who help you out and give advice on all aspects of flying, which I sometimes need, as I've never been too scared to ask for help. If you want to go down with somebody let me know and you can come with me, maybe get some airtime once SOBI has her alternator fixed!!

Take care, Jim:ok:

Pilotdom
30th Jul 2012, 20:44
Any shares available at Sherbs? Something Rotax powered be good but I'm open to all.

thing
30th Jul 2012, 21:06
We have our a/c fixed at Sherburn by Les Scattergood so we get up there fairly often and it's the sort of place that you think 'If I lived around here I would be a member.'

Breighton is another good place but is weekends really and doesn't have the same facilities.

Lagentium
30th Jul 2012, 22:26
Thing, Mikey who works for Les is a brilliant lad, we try to keep him stocked up on beers because he always does a fabulous job! Isn't there anyone nearer to you for maintenance? As for shares, there is a Cirrus share for sale, but it sure ain't cheap!!

Cheers, Jim:ok:

thing
31st Jul 2012, 11:03
Thing, Mikey who works for Les is a brilliant lad, we try to keep him stocked up on beers because he always does a fabulous job! Isn't there anyone nearer to you for maintenance?

Being as three of our a/c are leased from Les I think it's politic to let him fix them! Our syndicate 172 gets fixed at Skeggy. It's only 15 minutes difference between Skeg and Sherburn anyway, plus Sherburn has a great caff. Mind you, Sandtoft caff is pretty good too.

Lagentium
31st Jul 2012, 11:39
Fair play Thing, I think sherburn has one of his aircraft at the moment to plug the gap of the Archer they have just sold, he's got aircraft all over the bloody place!!

Yorkphil
31st Jul 2012, 20:24
Any shares available at Sherbs? Something Rotax powered be good but I'm open to all. There's a share currently for sale in a Firefly. Not Rotax but 2 seats and similar performance and costs.

Lagentium
31st Jul 2012, 20:59
Thanks for the help with the setting up of the google calendar Phil, we got it sorted finally! When will you be next up at the club because I owe you a drink, Are you attending the fly in at Elvington coming up soon? John Crossland told Ray about it and I think we're going on the Sunday.

Cheers, Jim:ok: