PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Indonesia and Malaysia

Ross Muir
20th Jul 2012, 15:41
Hi

I am planning to fly my Cessna 172 next year from Darwin through Indonesia to Penang and return. I would be grateful any comments/advice. It's an 1974 M model with a mogas cert. I am a private pilot with around 1,000 hrs (mainly in 172s and 150s). Planned route is (roughly) Darwin, Kupang, Denpasar, Yogya, Bandung, Jakarta, Palembang, Padang, Medan, Penang. Then return via Singapore, Pontianak, Balikpapan, Samarinda, Manado, Sorong, Timika, Merauke, Darwin. Any obvious problems with this?

What do you think? Possible? Am I allowed to do it as a private pilot? Wonder if Indonesian Mogas would be OK (my Lyc.E2D engine is supposed to take 80-87 octane)

Grateful any comments or advice
Cheers
Ross

172driver
20th Jul 2012, 15:55
Sounds like a great trip to me, but you are more likely to get answers if you post this Q in other parts of Pprune, e.g. the DG&P GA forum.

XLC
20th Jul 2012, 22:52
I know of a 172M who flew from Chiang Mai to Bali and back w/o problems. It does require some preparations however, as Mogas is more easily tampered with. BTW, this plane too has been converted to fly on Mogas, and is still running smoothly. It is a great trip, just watch out the time of the year and related weather conditions.

goldeneaglepilot
20th Jul 2012, 22:59
For the sake of spending some money it may well be worth you investing in the advice and help of a handling agent, they will help ensure permits, fuel etc is in place for your route. PM me if you want some names of companies that I know are experienced in operation in that part of the world.

paulsalem
21st Jul 2012, 02:47
Checkout PremiAir for Indonesian handling. You can self handle in Malaysia, as things are much simpler there.

Bornfreee
21st Jul 2012, 03:46
Hey, sounds like a great trip.

You don't want a passenger/safety pilot do you?

:O ?

24seven
21st Jul 2012, 14:40
do a google search for "solo flight global" its a very interesting blog and talks about flying through Indonesia and Malaysia

Lets us know when you're passing through Medan and stop by and say hi

Oldpilot55
21st Jul 2012, 16:37
I flew in Malaysia a couple of years ago. Renting an aircraft was a major problem but avgas was available at KL (Subang) and Ipoh, the only areas that we went to. There was an active club doing training just close to Singapore border (Johor?) so avgas must have been available there.

Ross Muir
22nd Jul 2012, 01:54
Dear All

Many thanks for the helpful advice. That gets me started. I may be in touch to obtain further info. In the meantime if you think of any other angles please let me know. Bornfreee, thanks your offer to come along - you would be great, but unfortunately another pilot here is already locked in.

Prepositioning AvGas might indeed be needed. So far my information is that the only airports that have avgas or 80/87 are Kupang, Denpasar, Malang, Surabaya, Jakarta Halim (possibly), and Palembang. But no where else between Palembang and Penang. I think Penang has it because I flew in a 172 there a few years ago. But surprised that Medan (or somewhere close to there) doesn't - I need to do more work on this.
Cheers and thanks

Ross

blogflyinasia
22nd Jul 2012, 11:05
I am flying in Malaysia and can help you with that part of your journey. Some information on my blog (flyinasia.com) may be helpful too. Do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions.

Sultan Ismail
23rd Jul 2012, 04:55
This exercise was done about a month ago by a fleet of light aircraft from Malaysia and Singapore. In the reverse order, Kuala Lumpur to Perth via Jakarta, Kupang, Broome and Shark Bay, and a few points in between.

Interesting web sites are WingsoverAsia dot c o m and BernamRiverAirfield dot c o m

If you pm me I can put you in touch with one of the pilots.

As stated in a previous post no handling is required in Malaysia, just need to know where the fuel is located.

Penang Airport is being refurbished at the moment so GA parking may be at a premium.

Other interesting destinations are Pangkor Island, the National Park with it's airfield in the middle of the world's oldest rain forest and Bernam River Airfield, the home of grass roots aviation in Malaysia.

Re your original question, Yes! It's entirely do-able

Bornfreee
25th Jul 2012, 02:15
No Problems Ross Muir, have a great trip.