PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider this dangerous?

BlenderPilot
20th Jul 2012, 03:04
http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u387/ElDisidente/409757_478069045556495_876131976_n.jpg

What are your thoughts after looking at this photo?

Please give me your analysis of this operation from this R44 which took place in Monterrey Mexico a couple of days ago . . .

It's a paraglider being dropped while a skydiver tapes his exit, they are using a bag made in Bulgaria to drop paragliders from Fixed Wing aircraft or Helicopters?

What you see in the photo are the lines from a canopy (parachute like) extending, as soon as those lines come to an end, they will be pulling out a rather large fabric canopy from that bag that is supposed to open a few feed down the helicopter.

Points to take into account from this photo . . .

- I feel the canopy or lines could easilly be caught on the ground handling wheel stud on the skid, if so, the paraglider could easilly be left hanging from the canopy, and it would take him seconds realize that his only way out would be to free himself from his main canopy and use his reserve, then leave the huge canopy hanging from the skid along with dozens of lines hanging?

- Do you consider it safe?
- Is this legal? at least in your country?

D-Bag here: www.avasportcentral.com/eng/pr_d-bag.html

Video of D-Bag deployment look here . . Luis Mickey's First Helicopter D-Bag - YouTube

Savoia
20th Jul 2012, 04:28
- Is this legal?

BP: One surmises that this might be a somewhat rhetorical question.

Unless your DGCA has given approval .. then no.

Is it sensible? Ah well, that is another question!

hueyracer
20th Jul 2012, 06:40
When dropping "automatic" parachute jumpers, we are using the same technique.....and we have been using this for the last 40 years....

Don´t see a problem there...

I would see a problem dropping a PARAglider from anything else than a rock-these materials are not made for this...

Heli-Jock
20th Jul 2012, 08:12
Absof*@kingloooootelly Dangerous! :=

obnoxio f*ckwit
20th Jul 2012, 08:40
Why is he wielding a fly swat? Are Mexican mossies really that bad?

SASless
20th Jul 2012, 12:45
Having dropped more than a few jumpers...free fall and static line....a few precautions need to be considered. Not just jumper's gear getting fouled....but jumpers gear including reserve parachutes fouling the helicopter...particularly the tail rotor. The Static line and canopy bag combination should not be long enough to foul either the main rotor or tail rotor.

Sharp edges that could cut the static line need to be cushioned or taped to prevent cutting.

I question air launching a Para Glider as my understanding they are similar to parachute canopies but not as strong as they do not have to tolerate the shock loads of an opening with a lot of vertical speed as parachute canopies have to cope with.

Do these guys use a Reserve parachute with some sort of dynamic extractor device?

Depending upon the Authority which one operates under....there could be problems legally.

Lastly as noted....anything to do with a Robinson constitutes grave risk in my book....less so the 44...but the 22 terrifies me and I am a hero (small "h" used on purpose).

JimEli
20th Jul 2012, 16:51
I wonder if the possibility/consequences/procedures for a "hung jumper" was considered?

SASless
20th Jul 2012, 17:08
Perhaps that is why some wear long trousers!

hillberg
20th Jul 2012, 19:11
If the video was seen with a U.S. Registred A/C and pilot. A Letter Of Investagation would be in the mail. Dropin people not a problem but having pax with out chutes, is a no no.:= Seen what happens with flying machines & stringie thingies, Not good:{.

Jet Ranger
20th Jul 2012, 21:19
Work with them almost every thursday, usually from 10.000 ft (:sad:), but not this way. No no :=

JR

500e
20th Jul 2012, 21:33
Perhaps that is why some wear long trousers! :D:D:D

Winnie
20th Jul 2012, 22:53
The Video clip is from "Extremsportveko" at Voss in Hardanger, Norway.

It means the Etreme sports week, it is all about Base jumping and extreme cayacking etc.

The company appears to be Fonnafly.

Cheers
W.

Winnie
21st Jul 2012, 10:02
Airpolice, the film is from an AS-350 of some kind
Cheers
W.

trimpot
21st Jul 2012, 11:25
Just a small point, Sasless is correct in that a paraglider is not designed for the loads that a parachute is capable of withstanding on opening, but in this case it would be opening at nowhere near terminal velecity. I dare say however that it would still be opening above its design spec even though there didn't seem to be much forward speed when he dropped.

Having said that, it is one on the most crazy f*&king dangerous things I have seen. Fun till someone loses an eye!

One more thing, from what I can remember, I don't think paragliders don't have a reserve (I will stand corrected if that is not the case).

SASless
21st Jul 2012, 12:59
Counting up the mistakes, risks, and errors this video showed....I skip right on by unsafe.....and stop at "flat assed stupid"!

RMK
21st Jul 2012, 14:19
Regarding the safety aspect of doing a “static-line” type jump from the side of a small helicopter with the D-bag attached to the helicopter – YES, I agree with all above, an outright stupid idea.

Re the paraglider canopy/lineset itself; once clear of the helicopter, that’s not a problem. You are not at terminal speed and the shock force is much less. They use the same type of lines as many high-performance competition canopies (which oddly are used for “hop & pops” and themselves not really meant for terminal openings). Re kicking out of line twists, this is student canopy stuff and once on higher wing-loaded performance canopies you won’t be kicking out of anything – you’re cutting away. You’d be surprised at how fast a performance canopy can “spin-up” and the forces involved.

I’m a helicopter pilot / skydiver / wingsuit flyer and have made many helicopter jumps. However, being a helicopter pilot, I’ve been amazed at some of the dangerous/stupid acts I’ve seen on heli jumps due to skydivers not having any real understanding of helicopters (compounded by the heli pilots themselves not knowing much about skydiving gear).

Coincidentally, I’ve written a safety article for a skydiving magazine which will be published in their September issue. I’ll share it here if possible.

tony 1969
21st Jul 2012, 18:33
The video is indeed from Fonnafly, Trust me there is not much that pilot does not know about flying.

TRC
21st Jul 2012, 20:49
..... the film is from an AS-350 of some kind
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned that the co-pilot's seat is reversed. This is an absolute no-no with the old fronts seats - no proper attachment for the lap belt, which is the ONLY thing that keeps you somewhere near where you're supposed to be in an accident (is the lap belt still attached to the floor with the new seats - can't remember), lack of head restraint - essential in rearward-facing seats, and the further foward c of g. Someone might be able to tell us that the new crashworthy seats are approved for reversal - although I doubt it.

I’ve been amazed at some of the dangerous/stupid acts I’ve seen on heli jumps due to skydivers not having any real understanding of helicopters

I have done lots over the years with skydivers/basejumpers from helicopters. Some are relatively sane, but the majority - in my experience - are totally irresponsible adrenaline junkies.

Those featured above seem to fall into the latter category.

RotaryWingB2
22nd Jul 2012, 11:35
I have done lots over the years with skydivers/basejumpers from helicopters. Some are relatively sane, but the majority - in my experience - are totally irresponsible adrenaline junkies.

Utter ****. I have over 1500 jumps, and I also instruct. Yes, a minority are in it purely for the 'adrenaline junkie' stuff, but to say that is the majority of them are is about as correct as saying 'all helicopter pilots are ego driven homicidal maniacs, with erectile dysfunction issues.'

toptobottom
22nd Jul 2012, 11:48
'all helicopter pilots are ego driven homicidal maniacs, with erectile dysfunction issues.'

That's a bit harsh; we're not all like that. Just most of us :E

SASless
22nd Jul 2012, 12:18
'all helicopter pilots are ego driven homicidal maniacs, with erectile dysfunction issues.'

We all cannot be perfect.....

TRC
22nd Jul 2012, 13:06
Utter ****. I have over 1500 jumps, and I also instruct. Yes, a minority are in it purely for the 'adrenaline junkie' stuff, but to say that is the majority of them are is about as correct

I said - in my experience.

RMK
22nd Jul 2012, 15:54
If you think the general public knows little about aviation and helicopters; take that level knowledge of knowledge and divide it by 1000 to get their understanding of skydiving.

Like“RotaryWingB2 (http://www.pprune.org/members/202964-rotarywingb2)”, I grow tired of the simple-minded stereotype of all skydivers being of this perceived extreme / nutcase / deathwish / adrenaline junkie type.

Aside from a very small majority making news and being featured on dubious YouTube videos, the average skydiver is not this marginally-employed, twenty-something kid covered in tattoos. On average he/she is much more likely to around middle-age with family/career/business.

BlenderPilot
10th Apr 2013, 02:58
RMK, can you share that article you mentioned you wrote on skydiving from helicopters?

speds
15th Aug 2013, 07:04
Mark Sutton died in a Wingsuit accident. He was an innovative, intelligent. team player, an entertainer and a highly professional cameraman and parachutist. A life and promising career sadly cut short.

Olympic 007 in fatal helicopter leap | The Times (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3843273.ece)

jimf671
15th Aug 2013, 13:47
I don't normally comment on this sort of thread but here goes.

Looking at this as someone who has to work within strict rules about getting in and out of helicopters on the ground or in the air, and who has also been involved in risk assessing industrial activity with helicopters, marine vessels and rope systems, there is a something missing here. I expect that it is intelligence.

I can see that there could be safe and effective methods for these activities but that is not what is shown in the photograph and video provided. The paraglider's sandals are just a tiny part of the scene but it's a tiny part that says a lot to me about the mind-set. Not impressed.

Well done to the guy who took the photograph for not getting the reg number in the shot!

BOBAKAT
16th Aug 2013, 10:34
The only dangerous thing is : You jump from the wrong side ....The Antitorque rotor be on the left hand side on R 44 ...So you have to jump from the RIGHT hand side to avoid some trouble with.....:eek: