PDA

View Full Version : Cohabiting in Dubai

mccdatabase
20th Jul 2012, 02:52
A question for the UAE experts,

I may have the opportunity of a job in the UAE with the accomodation provided in Dubai, (either a company supplied place or an allowance to rent somewhere) the job is not based in Dubai just the living quarters. I know what the official line on cohabiting is; ie not allowed, but in practice is it really an issue?.

I have been living happily with G.F for quite a while but I don`t want to get re married, (tried it and it didn`t work for me!!) so any info on how to keep out of trouble would be very welcome.

I`m sure that there must be a lot of cohabitees out there getting by quite happily but G.F is very concerned that we could be locked up if the authorities found out.

Wizofoz
20th Jul 2012, 05:17
Plenty of people do, though it would be best to get your own place, rather than using company accommodation. Technically illegal, but follow the 11th commandment ( don't get caught!!) and you'll be fine.

The big issues would be getting you GF a Visa- you can't sponsor her unless you are married, and the fact that shr would probably not be entitled to a lot of the benefits ( health, travel) that she would as a wife.

ironbutt57
20th Jul 2012, 05:58
we could be locked up if the authorities found out.

Yes.....

Tableview
20th Jul 2012, 06:11
Why is it that the Dubai authorities happily turn a blind eye to the prostitution that goes on as part of the tourist industry, to the extent that DXB is more or less a sex tourism destination? Unmarried couples going on holiday and staying - obviously- in the same hotel room, prostitutes taking clients to hotels or vv. Hotel bars wall to wall with prostitutes and their past, present, and future clients, places like Cyclone, one of the biggest prossie pick up places in the world.

I have no problem at all with prostitution, I do have a huge problem with the complete and utter hypocrisy of the people who run the place.

I worked on a short contract in Dubai and a female friend came and stayed with me for the entire six weeks or so. It never occurred to either of us that there might be a problem, and there wasn't.

Gulfstreamaviator
20th Jul 2012, 12:17
But you forget the real key: follow the money...

All the activities you mention bring in revenue for the sponsors, and the country in general.

Compliance with the law does not......

Can you think of the impact on the rose tinted image of tourist heaven that there would be if every night guests in every hotel and guest house were required to provide copies of their marriage documents before entering their bed room.......

glf

Tableview
20th Jul 2012, 13:26
Cyclone closed many years ago

Bummer, no excuse now to go to Dubai!

Gulfstreamaviator
20th Jul 2012, 13:41
One door closes another opens........

glf

harry the cod
23rd Jul 2012, 14:28
Door? Shouldn't that be plural!

Chelsea hotel, Regal Plaza, Hyatt, SAS Radisson, Crown Plaza to name but a few...

Harry

GMC1500
27th Jul 2012, 06:48
Back to the original post and not about hooker bars, yes its easy to cohabitate here, I and several of my friends have been doing it for years, in company accomodation. The reason its easy is because our gf's have jobs and visas here. without that, she has to stay on a tourist visa and leave every month or so.