PDA

View Full Version : RAF Pilot - Physical Requirements?

oscar13
19th Jul 2012, 19:28
This is my first post here, I appologise if it is in the wrong topic.
I have been reading up about RAF Pilotting jobs for some time now, I have read that the type of aircraft that successful applicants will be trained to fly is dependant on many factors including physical dimensions?
Does anyone know what physical dimensions would categorise a person for which type of aircraft?
I.E for multi engined how tall/wide or type of build?

Im hoping to apply as soon as my college course is complete, just waiting on lecturers to mark the bleading work!!

Willard Whyte
19th Jul 2012, 20:33
http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2008/ahrens_just/Sumatran%20Orangutan%201.jpg

Airborne Aircrew
19th Jul 2012, 20:37
Naughty Willard...

Don't be so nasty to that poor Orang...

500N
19th Jul 2012, 20:41
:D

I can't wait to see where this one goes.:O

Willard Whyte
19th Jul 2012, 20:43
The beard would have to go.

And the ginger hair.

Shack37
19th Jul 2012, 20:53
oscar13

As you may already have noticed, your question has not been treated with the gravity you probably hoped for. For a clue as to why, check the top thread in this Mil Aircrew forum. Wannabees!
One of the physical attributes required will certainly be sight.

Courtney Mil
19th Jul 2012, 21:00
Oscar13,

Sorry that we'reall such a bunch of :mad::mad: here. You will eventually get some useful answers.

For now, I would say that the type a new pilot goes to is far more likely to be determined by ability and suitability than dimensions. Unless you are abnormally tall/fat/dwarfish/etc, the limitations these days aren't that tight. Not to say that there aren't limits, but many don't find themselves streamed on that basis.

Persevere and someone here will offer some guidance or point you in the right direction.

oscar13
19th Jul 2012, 21:06
sorry for not thoroughly reading the sticky, after reading the second post in the topic i didnt feel i would be posting in the right place, clearly was wrong.
if its not that major a factor about physical dimensions then i wont get concerned about it. thanks though

Airborne Aircrew
19th Jul 2012, 21:09
WW:

And the ginger hair.

Listen... Just because he posted a picture of me you don't need to be rude... :\

NutLoose
19th Jul 2012, 21:16
Are you sure Airborne? It seems to be able to coordinate 4 limbs at once... :E

Oscar, what Coutney said, additionally there is a thread at the top of the Aircrew site to assist you.... Good luck on your choice of career.

Link

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/405176-oasc-candidates-wannabes-please-read-thread-first-new-thread.html

salad-dodger
19th Jul 2012, 21:29
fast jet = small penis
trucky = not being able to see penis

:E

S-D

Stuff
19th Jul 2012, 21:31
The technical term is anthropometric so searching for that may give you more info but don't bother. You can't measure yourself accurately anyway (especially functional reach) so don't try.

If you really want to be a pilot apply and let OASC do the measurements - it's not as if you can change them anyway! If you only want to fly fast jets and don't want to fly multis or rotary then this will show through in your interview and I doubt you'll be selected. Your motivation for joining is very important.

salad-dodger
19th Jul 2012, 21:37
The technical term is anthropometric
and a term causing much scratching of heads in the RAF!

S-D

Stuff
19th Jul 2012, 21:38
and a term causing much scratching of heads in the RAF!

Only if you can reach!

ShyTorque
19th Jul 2012, 21:43
Are you sure Airborne? It seems to be able to coordinate 4 limbs at once...

Nah, with a comb-over like that it must be an engineer.......

salad-dodger
19th Jul 2012, 21:44
Only if you can reach!

see post #3 - shouldn't be a problem

S-D

Airborne Aircrew
19th Jul 2012, 21:59
fast jet = small penis
trucky = not being able to see penis

ALM = penis is backup 80' strop for USL... :}

lj101
19th Jul 2012, 22:10
fast jet = small penis

Perhaps you were just unlucky.

500N
19th Jul 2012, 22:12
"fast jet = small penis
Perhaps you were just unlucky."

lj101

You owe me a new keyboard ..... but it was worth it, thanks:O:ok:

oxenos
19th Jul 2012, 22:17
fast jet = small penis

You can always buy a big watch to compensate. There is another thread running which will advise on that.

Airborne Aircrew
19th Jul 2012, 22:40
So... The consensus seems to be that, apart from one aberration, the physical requirement for fast jet is a small penis. That truckies can't see their's no matter how big it might be and Loadmasters have extremely long and powerful appendages...

It seems that "fast jet" syndrome can be "fixed" by wearing a big watch. Can you imagine how freaking awesome you'd be if you were a Loadmaster wearing a big watch.... :ok:

It'll never happen I'm afraid... Evolution stepped in and you young types just don't have, or need, the colossal appendages that Loadmasters required so the RAF, in it's wisdom, disbanded the trade. Now they have some amorphous blob trade with merely average penii...

[Awaiting the spelling police on that last word]

Fox3WheresMyBanana
19th Jul 2012, 23:04
Disagree.

Small penis = won't stick out past the g-suit/bunny suit/immersion suit/etc for an in-flight pee.
Large penis = same problem, won't bend enough to get past 3 zips.

So, fast jets = stunningly average penis.

The really big dicks were only sent to aircraft that didn't require g-suits,which was choppers (ha!), but not SAR (frequent immersion suit wearers)

The really small dicks had to go to aircraft with toilets, which was shiny 10's.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnYO2yeTb---N3HX7nkMnv3wm-ytd2QjLmKvokzAb0-2NC3Ebs

Dr Austin Powers promoting his "Re-role to Fast Jet" device to VC10 co-pilots.

Airborne Aircrew
19th Jul 2012, 23:10
Foxy.... Baby...

Small penis = won't stick out past the g-suit/bunny suit/immersion suit/etc for an in-flight pee.
Large penis = same problem, won't bend enough to get past 3 zips.

Real men pee in their immersion suit.... Us "chopper" chaps wore them more often than you think - lots of transits over to the (in)continent. A quick rinse with a couple of bottles of Grolsch and they smelled good again... :}

Fox3WheresMyBanana
19th Jul 2012, 23:24
Real men have such a huge bladder that they never need to pee.

Longest trip 11:15

Mind you, when God was handing out body parts, I ended up in the bladder, liver and balls queues twice, and seemed to have missed the brains, nerves and neck retraction muscles departments entirely.

I sold my soul to win my first solo ACT 5-0, and it was worth it.

dermedicus
19th Jul 2012, 23:46
"RAF Pilot - Physical Requirements?
This is my first post here, I appologise if it is in the wrong topic.
I have been reading up about RAF Pilotting jobs for some time now, I have read that the type of aircraft that successful applicants will be trained to fly is dependant on many factors including physical dimensions?
Does anyone know what physical dimensions would categorise a person for which type of aircraft?
I.E for multi engined how tall/wide or type of build?

Im hoping to apply as soon as my college course is complete, just waiting on lecturers to mark the bleading work!!"

With the greatest respect, I believe academic ability and performance has something to do with selection. Being able to correctly spell your desired career would be a strong start along with basic grammar and punctuation.

I may strike you as unnecessarily pedantic, but contrary to the general trend in public, how you present yourself is actually important.

Airborne Aircrew
20th Jul 2012, 00:48
Warning:

Utter pedant alert...

Humour failure...

Panic, panic, panic... :sad:

500N
20th Jul 2012, 00:55
AA
My prediction was correct although I was surprised it took
2 pages for it to occur.

The regular SP's must be on holidays:O

Airborne Aircrew
20th Jul 2012, 01:04
500:

You were correct but, like you, it seemed to take forever before there was a real condemnation of the poor lad... CM excepted... of course... ;)

I'm sure the others will pile on soon and inform him that they are all perfect physical specimens and flew fat jets despite their inability to see their willys...

No... it isn't a typo ladies... http://www.hqrafregiment.net/images/smilies/tongue2.gif

sycamore
20th Jul 2012, 02:03
AA, don`t the `fat` jet guys have `vanity` mirrors above the windscreen,so they can see their `appendages`...(C-17 and Voyager crews)?

NutLoose
20th Jul 2012, 02:17
I always thought they just wanted people keen to be fast jet... The rest were just the dross that couldn't.

Standby for incoming from those that bite

BEagle
20th Jul 2012, 02:28
I always thought they wanted people keen to be fast jet... The rest were just the dross that couldn't.

Cruel.....but fair!

The standard equation is Σ (CQ + WS + PS) = Constant

Where CQ = Quality of car, WS = Size of watch and PS = Size of one's gentleman's parts.

Thus if one drives a Porsche and wears a Rolex, one is likely to be poorly endowed.

Whereas if one drives a Peugeot diesel, wears a Swatch........:ooh: (Although clearly this only works for blokes, as some might confirm ;) )

Oh and before you ask, an AMG and a Breitling......:\

500N
20th Jul 2012, 05:13
"I always thought they just wanted people keen to be fast jet... The rest were just the dross that couldn't."

So the recommendation for the OP when he dresses and drives to the interview is
to drive some swanky, fast sports car, wear a big expensive watch so that at least they think he wants to fly fast jets ?

bakseetblatherer
20th Jul 2012, 05:43
We had a wee lass on our course who was too light for the hawk ejection seat limits. So after many many beers the night before we feed her up on a full lard breaky and made her drink pints and pints of water before her official weigh in and measurement... she ended up:
a) about half a kg over the limit and
b) flying multis :}

peter allison
20th Jul 2012, 07:50
Don't know the RAF's physical dimension criteria for pilots. Do know they at least like their pilots to be able to spell! Only one 'p' in apologise, only one 't' in piloting, and no 'a' in bleeding!

Whopity
20th Jul 2012, 08:19
Does anyone know what physical dimensions would categorise a person for which type of aircraft?Ejection seats have certain parameters, back length, leg length to the knee and from the knee to the bottom of your feet. If excessive will prevent correct operation and may even prevent you operating handles. If you are two short, there are issues with what is known as functional reach. i.e, you are strapped to the seat and cannot reach normal controls. If you are over 6ft 2 you could have issues but there have been aircrew up to 6ft 4, above that you will have issues and if you are under 5ft 5 you may have issues.

Some years ago I was involved in an anthropometric study at Farnborough, the range of different bodily dimensions that they can fit in is quite considerable however; aircraft are designed around a normal curve. If you have any dimensions outside the normal you may be restricted, too many dimensions outside the box and you will be excluded altogether.

Dunky
20th Jul 2012, 08:36
Anthropometric eh, damn, that's went metric as well ;)

Shack37
20th Jul 2012, 14:27
Don't know the RAF's physical dimension criteria for pilots. Do know they at least like their pilots to be able to spell! Only one 'p' in apologise, only one 't' in piloting, and no 'a' in bleeding!

Think you should use inverted commas " rather than apostrophes ' in this comment.

airborne_artist
20th Jul 2012, 15:13
The standard equation is Σ (CQ + WS + PS) = Constant

Where CQ = Quality of car, WS = Size of watch and PS = Size of one's gentleman's parts.

Thus if one drives a Porsche and wears a Rolex, one is likely to be poorly endowed. 1/P

I prefer CQ+WS=1/Ps ;)

PURPLE PITOT
20th Jul 2012, 15:23
What happened to the requirement to be able to ride a horse?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th Jul 2012, 16:12
Still there. I think that's why I got in.

Although free stabling for your own horse has been replaced by free hangarage for your own aircraft (really).

Stuff
20th Jul 2012, 18:38
Did you know you can claim MMA for taking your own aircraft on duty journeys?

oxenos
20th Jul 2012, 18:45
And if you take your horse?

NutLoose
20th Jul 2012, 18:55
I bet you can get a Shetland in a PA 28......

Don't try this at home folks?

Wensleydale
20th Jul 2012, 20:06
I find it hard to imagine anyone who can afford an aeroplane big enough take
their horse in would be still serving

The Sentinel was designed to fit the officer's horse - you can see the bulge for its head on the top and the trough for its feet under the fuselage.:ok:

Did you know you can claim MMA for taking your own aircraft on duty
journeys?

I knew a female engineering officer of significant "private means" who had her own private twin (Queenair?). She regularly had battles with PSF when claiming duty journeys that she had taken in it. She always won by quoting the appropriate QR.

BEagle
20th Jul 2012, 20:18
I bet you can get a Shetland in a PA 28......

No problem. In several cans of meaty chunks 'enriched with nourishing marrowbone jelly'.....