PDA

View Full Version : Manning Issues?

Rigga
19th Jul 2012, 16:27
It seems that AirTankers are not recruiting reserves or training service personnel fast enough?

Aviation-Job-Search:

"Due to the expansion my client is looking for line maintenance support, Aeropeople are searching for B1 Licensed Aircraft Engineers typed and recent on the A330.

This role will be based in Oxfordshire at Brize Norton working on a 4 on 4 off shift, 11 hours per shift. This will be offering minimum 6 months work, paying £35 per hour ltd"

...and still not paying enough. I have known Type Rated F100 connies to be on £80ph LTD

Willard Whyte
19th Jul 2012, 16:52
They'll be after recently sacked raf then, and pretending the pension counts towards topping up the wages.

NutLoose
19th Jul 2012, 17:22
So what happens in the 2 hours left between shifts? Does the place close down every 11 hours for an hour off?

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
19th Jul 2012, 17:30
Nutloose

So what happens in the 2 hours left between shifts? Does the place close down every 11 hours for an hour off?

I expect that it is really a 12 hour shift but lunch breaks are not paid.

Aaron.

Roadster280
19th Jul 2012, 17:56
Shift change times advance by 2 hours every day, so no-one is on permanent nights.

Arty Fufkin
19th Jul 2012, 18:10
£70,000 a year for 4 on 4 off doesn't seem too bad to me.
Are you seriously saying that over twice that would be the going rate?
I fancy a late career change! Certainly won't feel so bad next time I break the jet.

Dan Gerous
19th Jul 2012, 19:08
What does LTD mean?

Rigga
19th Jul 2012, 19:13
Yes - some engineers and line managers are on really top rates - Type Rated Contractors in niche area's especially so.

Work (line or base) is often stopped (at the 11th hour) for handovers to the next shift, which is why shift diaries are so important. Depends on the company remuneration scheme.

So, if contractors are employed by the hour - they either get the overtime, or won't/don't do the extra hour. They will not wait for the next shift if late, nor wait for someone to make a decision, nor attend a meeting beyond their working limits. No pay - No stay!

LTD - Limited company = self-employed contractor

esscee
19th Jul 2012, 19:20
How are they going to employ recently sacked RAF people then? I do not believe there are very many recently sacked RAF people who have suddenly gained a B1 Licence, you do not get exemptions anymore for EASA licences from military service aircraft engineering experience, and also have a current Type Rating on A330 Trent 700. Suggest someone does their research before making "tongue-in-cheek" comments. Also, not many contractors will be happy to find their working week limited to 4 days, many will still try to work the days off somewhere else so how will that get prioritised? Basically Airtanker/Cobham have well and truly lashed the whole contract up. 1st aircraft was flown into Bournemouth for conversion to start at the end of August 2011, the 2nd aircraft just before Christmas 2011 and both were planned to be delivered to RAF by end of July 2012. They underestimated the amount of conversion work and then thought they could easily get licenced engineers at cheap rates to do that work.

salad-dodger
19th Jul 2012, 21:34
...and still not paying enough. I have known Type Rated F100 connies to be on £80ph LTD
you may well have known them Rigga, but how many of them were there and how long were they paid this for?
Yes - some engineers and line managers are on really top rates - Type Rated Contractors in niche area's especially so.
As you said, 'some' and 'niche areas', so how many does this mean in reality?

S-D

Rigga
19th Jul 2012, 21:57
S-D,
I've known about a half dozen through the companies I've worked for and I know a few in other companies now. I have sacked one - who will not get a reference from one company. Most have been employed for a year or more as their cover is often rare.
This particular situation is a "Niche" area as not many LAEs will want to work for MOD (yes, I know this isn't MOD, but...) who are widely known as low payers and:
The company is a new starter and not known/has no reputation (good or bad)
+ It's a risky job to base a sole trader's contract career on
+ Working with newcomers to the regulations
= more cash to compensate.

BEagle
19th Jul 2012, 22:01
Presumably the added embuggerance of being required to undertake mercenar....'sponsored reservist' duties will be reflected in a significantly enhanced salary level?

:\

Willard Whyte
19th Jul 2012, 22:10
Suggest someone does their research before making "tongue-in-cheek" comments.

I've better things to do, like drinking.

Suggest you do the same and lighten the **** up.

Rigga
19th Jul 2012, 22:48
Beags, Connies will not be SR. Guns don't fit in their tool kits.

(Forgot - the added cost of NOT using their own tools! - Loss of use of company assets)

BEagle
20th Jul 2012, 02:09
Rigga, are you certain about that?

ATr are currently seeking a 'Senior B1 Engineer', amongst whose essential criteria are:

• Must be prepared to undertake the duties of a Sponsored Reservist (more information can be found Sponsored Reservists « AirTanker (http://www.airtanker.co.uk/jobs/what-we-look-for/sponsored-reservists) ).

sisemen
20th Jul 2012, 02:19
They ought to get G4S to sort out the manpower problems. Have it fixed in no time :E

esscee
20th Jul 2012, 09:25
Senior Engineer vacancy - the fact that it is a "SR" position will not get all that much interest either. A multi type-rated engineer is not going to do gate guard and lose his currency on his other type ratings all for a hefty pay cut, when will AirTkr realise how the commercial aircraft engineering world works. May get more job security but.........

Rigga
20th Jul 2012, 16:31
Beags - Two different adverts....