PDA

View Full Version : Chinook chops power

Nessa
19th Jul 2012, 13:11
Oops!

RAF starts investigation after Chinook incident leave 500 Pembrokeshire homes without power (From Western Telegraph) (http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/9824541.RAF_starts_investigation_after_Chinook_incident_leav e_500_Pembrokeshire_homes_without_power/)

TorqueOfTheDevil
19th Jul 2012, 17:14
Didn't know they had electricity in rural Pembrokeshire...nor, perhaps, did the Chinook crew!

Marly Lite
20th Jul 2012, 00:15
There are those those that have hit wires,
Those that have been chuffing close,
And those that have not flown SH.

Glad to see that nobody came to any harm.

Marly Lite
20th Jul 2012, 00:19
Oh yes, and let's hope there is not yet another knee jerk regulation from JHC.

Could be the last?
20th Jul 2012, 08:18
No wire cutters?

TheWizard
20th Jul 2012, 10:49
You have to love the drama of the Press
RAF helicopter crash lands in field (From York Press) (http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/national/news/9828070.RAF_helicopter_crash_lands_in_field/?)

An RAF helicopter crash landed in a field after apparently hitting power lines close to a seaside town, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.

The potentially fatal crash happened outside the seaside resort of Saundersfoot,

The RAF is investigating and a team is at the crash site studying the wreckage.

Oh dear :hmm:

wokkamate
21st Jul 2012, 00:22
Marly Lite, 25 years flying nothing but SH and I have never come 'chuffing close' to hitting wires. Lookout and good map reading plus defensive flying....long may it continue!

On the plus side, glad the crew are all ok. Unlike the press to sensationalise the sutiation though.

Walrus75
21st Jul 2012, 15:37
Image (not mine) of the FDB in question:
http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12380&d=1342833433

Spaghetti_Monster
21st Jul 2012, 16:40
Marly Lite, 15 years flying nothing but aeroplanes and I have never come 'chuffing close' to doing anything wrong or having an accident. Lookout, good map reading plus defensive flying (and massive blind faith that I'm awesome mean I never will)....long may it continue!:D

Courtney Mil
21st Jul 2012, 18:42
Aaw. But everyone is so nice about it. Lovely.

22nd Jul 2012, 22:23
Flown under wires 'inadvertently' myself. In a chinook too! Map reading doesn't help if they aren't marked. Mine weren't!

A salutory tale for those involved : A very dear friend of mine hit wires in Germany in the mid 80s (again in a chinook) He said to me he thought he was going to die, but that was going to be his close scrape! A few weeks later after the subsequent inquiry, and on his first flight after that incident, he was killed in a totally unrelated accident.

Go careful out there chaps!

Marly Lite
23rd Jul 2012, 01:26

you seem to be like all the SH aircrew I have met and worked with and not infallibe, as wokkamate clearly is.

I came close to unmarked wires in a strange, far off land where the colour of the wires seemed to be deliberately the same as the terrain. The benefit of a recce was not available to us.

I wonder if there is any tech out there which could help us, some form of wire detector?

Tiger_mate
23rd Jul 2012, 04:45
Wokkamate spouted:
Marly Lite, 25 years flying nothing but SH and I have never come 'chuffing close' to hitting wires.

Blissfull ignorance can be a wonderful thing. Wires & SH: There are those that will; those that have, and those that never saw them at all so dont know any different.

plus defensive flying....long may it continue!

Not below 250` agl then? ....ever :E

wokkamate
23rd Jul 2012, 10:10
Never said I was infallible, never said I hadn't scared myself. Point is that I have never (knowingly) come close to hitting wires. I maintain that 'defensive' flying (positioning yourself tactically and safely in valley features) plus good lookout will vastly reduce your chances of hitting any unarked wires. As for flying at 50', these days you get little thanks and it is practically impossible anyway.

Nice to see everyone being so defensive though. As I said before, glad the crew are ok, will be interested to see what caused the incident though. Tiger mate - put your dummy back in.