PDA

View Full Version : One Less Job for Navs - ISTAR mission commanders to be replaced by WSOPs?

criminal
18th Jul 2012, 12:59
Is it true that all ISTAR Navs are to be replaced by WSOPs? There is a rumour going around that this is going to happen sooner rather than later to allow Navs/WSOs to go to fleets with a shortfall.

Might be happening on the Sentinel to begin with. Makes sense when you think about it as the WSOPs are the experts.

Milo Minderbinder
18th Jul 2012, 13:08
you wouldn't happen to be another journalist by any chance?

I'm sure the serving members would love to know the source of those rumours

Pure Pursuit
18th Jul 2012, 13:57
Utter hoop. Simple as that.

NaKalloy
18th Jul 2012, 14:23
Not least because all ISTAR assets are to be transferred to the AAC
Makes sense really as they Army are the primary users of the data

Roland Pulfrew
18th Jul 2012, 15:20
Not least because all ISTAR assets are to be transferred to the AAC

Utter hoop. Simple as that ;)

Daf Hucker
18th Jul 2012, 16:31
Good, I presume that the WSO(AE) fraternity can now get back to running the ISTAR show rather than having Nav's nick their jobs :ok:

ratty1
18th Jul 2012, 16:42
you wouldn't happen to be another journalist by any chance?

Why would a journalist be interested in that? Its hardly earth shattering news.

downsizer
18th Jul 2012, 17:32
Indeed. The average journo probably wouldn't know the difference either.

Captain Radar....
18th Jul 2012, 18:41
What are you talking about? There is no such thing as a nav any more is there? Do ISTAR mission commanders need to navigate?

Knight Paladin
18th Jul 2012, 20:05
What would the QWI(ISTAR)'s do otherwise?! And yes, I don't know why they use the "W" in that either. Oh, wait, I think I can guess....

iRaven
18th Jul 2012, 20:32
If I recall correctly on Dominie trg sorties, the Nav used to work the RADAR, radios, nav kit and also the navigation. The pilot would fly the aircraft and execute the final command function. The AEOp, read WSOp(AE) in new money, would collect/issue the in flight choccy bars, spot Oscar class submarines in Cambridge High Street, ask the Nav for a position and then go into flurry of activity as a "Jerry Morse-tapper" at 20 words per minute. So just remind me, who has the better trained skill set? :ugh:

Both Nav and AEOp stude would get the opportunity to work as Co-pilot to the skipper in the front seats, to get the idea what flying was all about! :ok:

iRaven

PS I agree that the original question is "hoop"...

GalleyTeapot
18th Jul 2012, 20:36
iRavem, WSOps, read AEOpmin your old money, did all of the above, if you drag yourself a bit further into the not too distant past.

Ivan Rogov
18th Jul 2012, 20:51
The AEOps didn't get to practice the flight in the classroom and then the Sim before the flight though!

As for better trained skill set, it took a lot of time and effort to get anything useful out of the new Navs even after the OCU, but the new NCA were productive staight away as they could use the galley:ok:

airpolice
18th Jul 2012, 21:45
Fewer.

criminal
18th Jul 2012, 23:15
I'm certainly not a journalist, just someone who heard a rumour and was looking to see if anyone could expand or dispel it.

I too thought it was 'utter hoop' when I first heard it, but there is a lot of sense in it when it was explained. And if this releases some qualified Navs to go to sqns who are desperately short of Navs, it seems they may be able to kill two birds with one stone.

recce_FAC
19th Jul 2012, 00:08
Maybe the army should do it. ISTAR is used by the army.

Milo Minderbinder
19th Jul 2012, 00:19
'twas originally an Army project...remember the Platypus Islander?
That died a death because of the RAF successfully Borging the project - and changing it from low cost robust short-field system to a nice comfy business jet.
If the Islanders had been built they could probably have flown from the new carriers - without catapults

Ivan Rogov
19th Jul 2012, 05:48
Keep taking the tablets guys! Your tinfoil hats are on order. What is the islanders max altitude?

FATTER GATOR
19th Jul 2012, 08:12
Maybe the army should do it. ISTAR is used by the army.

Only if you consider ISTAR to be purely in support of a Land Commander. Actually that's a small (but admittedly rather time consuming) part of what ISTAR is all about.

That said I would be pleasantly surprised if anyone from the army realised that military activity and foreign policy is bigger than the army.:E

recce_FAC
19th Jul 2012, 12:21
A fair point and well presented. I just think it would be better that ISTAR that is supporting the army COULD be a little more efficient if army ISTAR dudes were involved. Maybe a whole can of worms may get opened on this topic

Melchett01
19th Jul 2012, 12:56
A fair point and well presented. I just think it would be better that ISTAR that is supporting the army COULD be a little more efficient if army ISTAR dudes were involved. Maybe a whole can of worms may get opened on this topic

They already are. I won't go into detail, but Sentinel, the LEWT teams and various other ISTAR players and enablers are already Army or have a significant Army component. But as FG noted, ISTAR in Helmand is a tiny tiny fraction of what the UK's larger ISTAR element has to support.

ulsteraviator
22nd Jul 2012, 09:40
Who said the WSOps were the experts? What makes them more qualified?

Wensleydale
22nd Jul 2012, 10:49
Having flown in ISTAR aircraft for over 20 years, I found that the best crews were those with a mix of flying badges - the different experiences of each contributing to the whole. Otherwise one gets a "Jack of All Trades" in the back rather than experts in their field.

Also the mix was much better for good natured banter!

criminal
16th Nov 2012, 22:25
Told you!!

Easy Street
17th Nov 2012, 00:32
I'm struggling to think where there might be a shortage of WSO(N)s. It's definitely not High Wycombe! And it can't be the Tornado force either because about 5 of them have headed off to Reaper or Sentinel recently. Strongly suspect that the OP was hoop!

VinRouge
17th Nov 2012, 07:55
Multi engine are short I believe.fortunately, egi's do a much better job than a nav on my type. :)