PDA

View Full Version : Foreign CPL validation

jb21
18th Jul 2012, 12:44
Hey guys.
I have a South African cpl, but have plans to go to the states and get an FAA validation. My question is how many flight hours I need. I gather that an FAA CPL requires 250 hours but I only have 200. Canada would be my alternate...

B2N2
19th Jul 2012, 14:37
JB, it looks like you're confusing two different things, namely validation and conversion.

You are fine for a validation since you will only get a PPL in return.
The formal name is a "Private Pilot license based on a foreign license" in accordance with Federal Aviation regulation 61.75
FAR Part 61 Sec. 61.75 effective as of 10/20/2009 (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/61.75)
If you wish you can have all your ratings added, like ME and IR.
It is a validation for flying for recreational purposes. No hour requirement as long as you hold at least a Private

For a conversion as in you have a foreign CPL and you want a US CPL you DO need to meet the FAA hour requirements.
For a US CPL you need to do the following:

Apply for a US PPL on the basis of your CPL (see above)
Pass a FAA IR written test
Take training as required to pass the FAA IR practical test
Pass a FAA CPL written test
Take training as required to pass the FAA CPL practical test
(with at least 250hrs.)

To make things clear, for a validation you can use your foreign IR, for a conversion you can not use your foreign IR

jb21
19th Jul 2012, 15:03
Okay, thanks for the info, it really clears things up.

JuggerD
24th Jul 2012, 04:26
Good lord, that's SUCH a pain! :ugh: For a conversion to FAA, if one has to do the IR written/practical and CPL written/practical then what is left?! One isn't getting nearly enough credit for previous certifications! What benefit does one get for having his/her license issued by an ICAO member state if there isn't an Umbrella policy out there granting pilots a uniform right to fly (ignoring PPLs for now). Being a finance professional as well, I had my certifications carried over to the Mid East, and the subcontinent, and all I had to do was take an extra paper covering local commercial and corporate laws that my extant certifications (mostly US and UK) didn't already encompass.

As Multinational Companies (MNCs) have become truly global in the literal sense (since the late 90's), there has been a severe push for harmonization in Accounting Standards from a global perspective. In fact, a move from local Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) is a result of this effort. All local Professional Accountancy Boards have reciprocal agreements with their foreign counterparts! :ok:

Flying on the other hand has been global since many decades, and even then the global aviation industry fails to move towards harmonization. If it stays like this it'll only create more problems for pilots and become a source for money minting for local flight schools. Such a pity! :{

JD