PDA

View Full Version : Socata TB-30 Epsilon: any on private market?

Zio Nick
17th Jul 2012, 12:46
Hi Gents,

Just to have a look at a/c value, I was looking for sale ads of Socata TB-30 Epsilon, but I could not find any: is anybody aware of civilian Epsilon's on the private market?

Cheers,
ZN

peterh337
17th Jul 2012, 13:52
Never heard of it, but can't see why not. Loads of them were sold and they can't all be scrapped. But it never had an ICAO CofA.

You could register on the user group socata.org and ask. There is only one person there who is likely to reply; the site owner A. Knott.

Sir George Cayley
18th Jul 2012, 16:23
Just Googled a picture and it looks a bit quirky but interesting nevertheless. Looks like a number of Air Forces operate them but can't see any civilians.

If it's got a large piston engine then I guess the running costs could be considerable.

Have you considered the Varga Katchina?

SGC

strake
18th Jul 2012, 16:45
They really are a nice piece of kit and I see them flying regularly from the Chateaubernard Air Force ab initio base, near where I live in Cognac.
They seem to have dozens of them...would you like me to knock on the door and see if any are available.. :O

Some more info and pics on this nice website:

www.Runway28.nl | Militairy Aviation Photography | Trip Reports | Cognac-Châteaubernard June 1, 2010 (http://www.runway28.nl/2010_06_01_LFBG_EN.php)

peterh337
18th Jul 2012, 17:12
The French have them; also Israel from some images I saw at Farnborough.

These must be disposed of here and there but as I say I don't think there is an ICAO CofA so no way to operate it "properly".

It is basically a TB20 but a lot lighter and with the smaller cockpit volume quite a bit quicker too.

strake
18th Jul 2012, 17:37
It is basically a TB20

I'm sorry to disagree but it isn't. The only similarity is the "TB" designation based on the factory at Tarbes. The aircraft was built from the ground up and is not linked to the others in the TB range.

I wish it was as my TB10 might have been a bit racier...

peterh337
18th Jul 2012, 17:49
AIUI, it is an IO540 (250HP) engine and shares many of the TB20 components. Obviously the hull is different...

strake
18th Jul 2012, 17:57
Nope. It's 300hp Lycombing 6

Zio Nick
19th Jul 2012, 06:51
Correct, it's a 300HP machine coming from a Lycoming flat 6 (Socata TB 30 Epsilon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socata_TB_30_Epsilon#Specifications)).
To me it's a rather interesting machine, I could not define it really a "beauty", but it has a certain military charme and has a relatively modern setting.
Surely it has no glass dashboard, but as far as I could understand its cockpit is designed to resemble the one of the Alpha Jet...
I would not be disappointed to fly one of them in a tight mountain valley...:ok:

peterh337
19th Jul 2012, 07:13
It is a similar IO540 to the TB20 but with higher compression pistons.

It's not exactly light. The empty weight in that wiki link is 932kg (TB20GT is ~900) and the MTOW is lower (1250 v. 1400 for the TB). I am not suprised at the rather low resulting performance; obviously quicker than a TB20 (especially in top speed) but not massively so in the ROC.

strake
19th Jul 2012, 07:30
ZN - It is indeed a tantalising aircraft to consider as a possible private transport. Since you asked your question yesterday, I've been looking in some French aviation forums and it would seem you are not unique in your desire to own one..
However, as it is still an operational aircraft I think they dump the old ones - there is a "graveyard" of them at Chateaubernard.
I don't know if you ever visit France but the French are reasonably open about their airfields and operations and they do public visits around the Squadron at Cognac. There are also a number of articles about people winning competitions (one from a supermarket!)and getting a flight.
You can also visit the airfield museum - a link here showing a tour with a glimpse of that Flat 6 at the bottom and a rather nice air-to-air pic if you scroll down a bit:ok:

Le musée de la base (http://www.ba709.air.defense.gouv.fr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=130&Itemid=176)

Avions école (http://www.defense.gouv.fr/air/technologies/aeronefs/avions-ecole/avions-ecole)

Zio Nick
19th Jul 2012, 08:14
Strake:

Thank you so much for your help!
Due to my work I will be in France from the beginning of next year for a few months, so I will surely follow your suggestion and I'll try to get a point of contact there to be able at least to pay a visit to the squadron (I don't dare of even thinking of flying a military registered machine...) and the museum.
The good thing is that I speak a decent french...

BTO
26th Aug 2012, 00:20
Hello to all

As a former flight intructor flying the Tb-30 Epsilon for the Portuguese Air force, i confirm that the engine is the 6 cylinder\ 300 Hp AEIO from Lycoming, as i also flew TB-20 the only similarity is the way his systems are designed, the electrical and the gear are very similar. It usually cruises at 180 Kts low level and is fully aerobatic +6.7\-3.3G´s.
It was made to fly like a small jet, and be the aircraft to fly before the Alpha Jet.

I know that there is one privatly owned in the US, i saw a picture of it at a civilian airshow with some Trojans and Sfs.
If anyone know of some epsilons up fpr sale give a call as i would like to have one of my own.

cheers for everyone