PDA

View Full Version : Whats a guy gotta do?

Silver Hawk
16th Jul 2012, 17:57
Hey fellas, i'm new to PPRune, and I'm NIGERIAN. Yes, NIGERIAN & an aspiring rotorcraft pilot.(no prior flight experience, but my goal is to reach ATP) i really want to begin my training preferably in the US, but down here there is a serious financial aid deficit. And i cant seem to find sponsors who would agree to fund International students especially from Africa (Nigeria to be exact). Ive read the rotorcraft flying handbook and other books, and my passion(some say obsession) grows by the minute Now i know u all are professionals here, so any insightful info would be of immense help. Vertical flight is all can think of. RSVP ASAP:)

heli-cal
16th Jul 2012, 20:29
And i cant seem to find sponsors who would agree to fund International students especially from Africa (Nigeria to be exact).

Why would they agree to such sponsorship?

African Eagle
16th Jul 2012, 21:03
Whats a guy gotta do?

In your case?

Join the NAF.

212man
16th Jul 2012, 22:10
I assume you have contacted Bristow Helicopters Nigeria? They've been sponsoring pilots there for the last 30 years, or so.

Good Vibs
17th Jul 2012, 00:33
I agree.
Speak to Bristow about being excepted as a Helicopter Pilot Trainee.
I don't think the other operators have trained any local pilots at all.
But you can ask, maybe thats changed.

Silver Hawk
18th Jul 2012, 17:55
Discotim,thanks, i"ve read that thread already, it was quite informative, but not exactly what i'm looking for.
@ heli-cal, well you are probably right. I know my country has virtually the worst reputation out there especially in cyberspace, but take a minute to think about the fact that 160 million people can't all be rogues.
@ African Eagle, the NAF has the worst safety record of all AFs around the world, and dieing isn't in my plans. but i do have some friends in the NAF though. Thanks alot.
@212 and Goodvibs, yeah i know of bristows training scheme, how ever, i read on some sites that you would have to have sat for physics and other courses in WAEC. i myself studied economics in the university and didn't take physics at o'level. but i've read some textbooks already including the FAAs rotorcraft flying handbook and i didn't find it hard to grasp at all.
As always fellas, more info/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Silver Hawk!:D

hueyracer
19th Jul 2012, 04:04
Ive read the rotorcraft flying handbook
i read on some sites
i've read some textbooks

Reading doesnīt make you a pilot.

Even if you have all the capabilities that a helicopter pilot has-you still need a licence.

Getting this is much harder than "reading" anything...some say, itīs even harder than studying at a University...

Like with everything in this world-without money your way stops right at your door at home....you will not get far.

There are probably Thousands of aspiring candidates out there, looking for the same-what makes you stand out amongst them?

And if you think BECOMING a pilot is hard-wait until you have your licence and are looking desperately for your first job!

HueyDog
19th Jul 2012, 07:18
Further to heli-cal's comment and your response, it does not have anything to do with Nigeria's reputation (which admitedly is below dismal) but more to do with the reason why companies and governments provide sponsorship. Companies in France for example might sponsor a French citizen who may eventually use his skills in France. The same with governments.

PLease don't get me wrong since I applaud your interest in aviation, but I am not sure why a foreign company or foreign government agency would send money to a citizen of a country which is a major oil exporter so that he can get his pilot's license? I am certain there are also many deserving people in their own countries which would love to receive sponsorship to become pilots.

pohm1
19th Jul 2012, 12:10
but I am not sure why a foreign company or foreign government agency would send money to a citizen of a country which is a major oil exporter so that he can get his pilot's license?

Bristow have been doing exactly that in Nigeria for years. Suitably qualified nationals were sent to Redhill, now to Bristow Academy, to train to commercial level and return to Nigeria to fly offshore.

P1

Silver Hawk
19th Jul 2012, 15:42
Thanks again fellas for the responses. @ hueyracer, ur right, no one said reading makes u a pilot, or makes me any more deserving than the thousands of worthy candidates out there, however, would you recommend I just sit around effortlessly and wish that the world fell at my feet? Secondly I wasn't trying to make it sound like I was bragging about having studied already at a university or trying to insinuate that a bachelors degree was harder to attain than a CPL-H. I just wanted to let 212 know why I feel I might not meet bristows requirements. U can re-read the post if it'll make things clearer. @hueydog, well I am not sure u might be aware, but billions of dollars go down every year to countries within the length and breadth of africa in form of grants and loans to governments, organisations and individuals for one form of vocational training\skill acquisition or another. I just haven't seen anyone tailored for aviation training as such. That being said, I still am open to useful suggestions. Thanks again people for all your comments.
:ok:

heli-cal
19th Jul 2012, 23:40
@ heli-cal, well you are probably right. I know my country has virtually the worst reputation out there especially in cyberspace, but take a minute to think about the fact that 160 million people can't all be rogues.

HueyDog is spot on! :ok:

I was in no way referring to your nationality, character or fellow countrymen.

The inference is yours!

Matari
20th Jul 2012, 01:14
Have you tried the aircraft mechanic (engineer) route as an entry point?

I have no idea about Nigerian aircraft engineering requirements, but in the States an Airframe & Powerplant License can open doors to prospective aviators.

Granted it was ages ago, but at my first helicopter mechanic job my employer (a small ag operator) was willing to trade flight hours for work time. Probably violated every labor law in the books but that was then. Might be possible in Nigeria these days, might not, but worth a look.

By the way, many believe that mechanics make the best pilots (at least we buy the beer more often).

Good luck, don't let up!

Silver Hawk
21st Jul 2012, 14:23
:OThanks @Matari, I've also tried confirming that possibility,but like i said, I currently reside in Nigeria. A lot of stuff really doesn't go on normally here. The only aviation school i know of currently in this country only offers fixed wing training, and moreover, it is located in Kaduna in Northern Nigeria. and if you have been looking at the news on Africa (nigeria) lately, you'll know being in the North of this country right now would not be the smartest thing to do.:=
as always more comments, tips and pieces of advice are welcome. Thanks again.

unstable load
23rd Jul 2012, 06:09
So, you studied finances, contact Bristow anyway. The worst they can do is say "No" and at least you will have definitely explored that avenue.

HueyDog
23rd Jul 2012, 07:41
Bristow have been doing exactly that in Nigeria for years. Suitably qualified nationals were sent to Redhill, now to Bristow Academy, to train to commercial level and return to Nigeria to fly offshore.

Entirely correct and primarily because they have contracts in Nigeria and could use well trained locals. As SilverHawk had mentioned he did not believe he was qualified for one of Bristow's programs because of his degree specialty. The oil companies doing work there may also be a possible place to look since they have an obligation in their agreements to spend some of the profits on community development projects.

@SilverHawk, I fully agree that many countries and companies send Billions to countries in Africa on grants and loans and that includes Nigeria. That has always struck me as odd being that Nigeria is a major oil exporter. Seems like the people of Nigeria need to do some housecleaning.

Silver Hawk
23rd Jul 2012, 10:23
@unstable load, i already talked to one of bristows captains, i dont think i should mention his name here, he is a childhood friend of my brother inlaw. all he said was that there was no problem, that bristow wasnt accepting at the moment, but that before the end of the year he''ll get in touch with me. right now he isnt in the countryso his local mobile number isn't going through. so i haven't been able to confirm firsthand from him the exact requirements they'll need, while bristow and Pan African Airlines Nigeria haven't replied my mails.
@hueyracer, i'm aware of the local content bill we have here, but as regards the IOCs here, we are well aware that most of them contract all their transportation dealings out to third parties eg Caverton, Bristow and co. so i think its these airlines that can primarily provide sponsorship for aviation training. But I would still look around thoroughly. thanks for the tip. But as for Nigeria needing some house cleaning, i think that's a major understatement. we need way more than that. Recently in the news, the amount of oil theft going on in the country was placed at 5billion dollars per year. who can beat that anywhere in the world.So disgusting.:yuk:
Anyways thanks again for all your comments, i really do appreciate. And as always, I'm open to more tips and suggestions.

Silver Hawk
4th Aug 2012, 12:13
Hey guys, its me again, Well I'm happy to say I have found some sources of funding. :E . That being said, I would like to know what you professionals honestly think of the us aviation academy in denton texas for my PPL, IR rating and CPL-H training. They seem to have an enticing time line of 6months, and a promising budget of under 55K USD. Please As always I would need to hear from you knowledgeable pros concerning this issue as soon as possible. Your responses would be highly apprecaited. Thanks.

Gordy
4th Aug 2012, 13:55
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/funnies/f4wyah1192169476-1.jpg

GoodGrief
4th Aug 2012, 17:59
Haha, Gordy, always straight to the point.

Silver Hawk, you'll find a good summary of cost at the Bristow Academy website, refer to the professional pilot program-A.
Add 35 hours to get the 200 hours for minimum marketability and add about $1500/ month for living expenses, a bit of a reserve and you'll know you have to find $100k.

madflyer26
4th Aug 2012, 20:02
Gordy,

Succinctly put and 100% spot on. The rumblings coming out of Bristows Academy are not that great. I used Ocean Helicopters in Florida and found them to be great in every aspect. I firmly believe if something especially in flying appears to good to be true then nine times out of ten it is.

Regards MF26

Helilog56
5th Aug 2012, 03:37
I have an awesome deal on some beachfront property !!!!!!:ugh:

Silver Hawk
6th Aug 2012, 10:01
So huys I'm looking at bristow louisiana, cloud nine west palm beach who told me they have trained many nigerians already and ocean also in west palm beach. Also I would like some pro advice on what would be the most suitable type rating to add on immediately after my ppl, ir, and cpl training considering the fact that I'm targeting coming back to Nigeria and do offshore flying.
Thanks again for the meaningful contributions, I really do appreciate. Ans as always, more comments are welcome.:ok: