PDA

View Full Version : History of the 23 cm Radar at LHR

mkwiatkowski
16th Jul 2012, 13:23
Hi All,

I see that the iconic 23 cm Radar at LHR has been slated for decommissioning (very odd not seeing it going round any more). I was wondering if those in ATC at LHR both past and present can give me a bit of history lesson on it, I’m interested in things like when was built, by who, what was its primary use(s), what sort of upgrades has it had over the years, that sort of thing.

It’s such a part of Heathrow Airport (along with the old tower) that many will be sad to see it go, so It would be nice to know a bit about it.

Mark

Radarspod
23rd Jul 2012, 21:49
Mark,

You'll get a much better response if you ask again on the ATC thread.

Cheers,

RS (who gave the instruction to shut it down last month).:ok:

Spitoon
23rd Jul 2012, 22:12
Can't tell you much about that particular one. Just that it makes me feel old 'cos I remember when they built it - must have been around 30 years ago???

DC10RealMan
24th Jul 2012, 18:22
Is the old Central Area tower still there?

DaveReidUK
24th Jul 2012, 22:05
Is the old Central Area tower still there?

The wings have already been pulled down, but the tower itself was still standing last time I looked, though its days are numbered.

When it finally goes, that will be the last remnant of Frederick Gibberd's original CTA design, QB and T2 having already gone of course.

Talkdownman
25th Jul 2012, 06:34
Painful, eh DC10 and HD?

DC10RealMan
25th Jul 2012, 23:04
It certainly is.

I had many happy years at LHR with friends who are still friends decades later, but that was before the curse of privatization and the fun police were let loose.