16th Jul 2012, 10:17
Hi all,

PICUS flight time: provided that the method of supervision is
acceptable to the competent authority, a co-pilot may log as
PIC flight time flown as PICUS when all the duties and
functions of PIC on that flight were carried out in such a way
that the intervention of the PIC in the interest of safety was
not required.

We´re trying to implement a method to log PICUS time for the copilots in the CO I´m working for. Anyone has a method of supervision acceptable by the authority that we can introduce in the OPS manual?

Thanks in advance :ok:

Ready2Fly
16th Jul 2012, 14:15
What about asking your authority? They have to sign-off your manual anyway, haven't they?

Without having own experience on this subject from a SOP point of view, i would start thinking in a direction where i.e. the CPT signs a flightlog entry after each flight confirming PICUS time of his co. In the end only he can know/confirm.

Interested to hear about other first hand experience on this subject, too.

NewtonLaws
24th Jul 2012, 10:46
Hi all,

I'm new here, but I'm interested in PICUS procedures in the SOP too.

Can somebody explain, copy-paste, send... the PICUS procedure, specially in Helicopters.

Thank you very much. ;)

skybiz
19th Aug 2013, 09:16
Hi Clavileño

I am trying to do the same in my CO, no clue about what to put in the manual.
Did you find out? Would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.:ok:
Skybiz

TeeS
19th Aug 2013, 11:44
Hi Clavileño

Keep it simple - PICUS is nothing to do with PF/PNF it is primarily about planning and decision making - although he (or she) obviously has to demonstrate satisfactory handling skills if operating as PF. Therefore, the PIC can certify PICUS in the co-pilot's log book if the co-pilot has made all the appropriate decisions during the planning and execution of the flight, without the PIC overruling any decisions on the grounds of safety. It may also be appropriate to state who can certify PICUS e.g. PIC must have a minimum number of hours on that type of operation before being allowed to sign for PICUS.

Cheers

TeeS