PDA

View Full Version : Ice Pilots Series 3

FourStar
16th Jul 2012, 02:49
Ice Pilots Series 3 is now screening Friday's 9.30pm on National Geographic Channel
It started last Friday

sixtiesrelic
16th Jul 2012, 07:44
Some old faces some new ones. Not sure if I'm going to like it as much this time.

ozequestrian
16th Jul 2012, 07:57
Worth watching if only to see good old Arnie for the last time. He passed away earlier this year not long after they finished shooting Season 3.

Biggles78
16th Jul 2012, 08:42
Sorry but I have to disagree with ozequestrian. Not worth watching and certainly not nice seeing what had become of Arnie but he had a positive attitude as he was looking at doing some water bombing, I believe, once he got his medical back. If you want to remember Arnie and "Hold onto your hats boys" as he was in Season 1 & 2, do not watch the final episode of Season 3.

Season 1 & 2 were excellent. Season 3 and most likely Season 4, which they are now working on, are fizzers. I even deleted Series 3 and that is really saying something since I have been around aviation for around 50 years. DH82 at age 5 (gliding regatta on our farm circa '62) and DC3 (SPANZ, one for the older Kiwis, doing joyrides out of NZGC) rear starboard seat, circa '65 at the local air show that also had the Mobil P51.

Apologies, got nostalgically side tracked.

Jay Bo
16th Jul 2012, 11:52
Also flying wild Alaska 3 is currently airing overseas ....torrents available fm the usual sites

BPA
16th Jul 2012, 11:53
Don't forget Arnie was also in the BBC show about the bombs used in the Dambusters raids, dropping a mock bomb from the DC6 :ok:

Jay Bo
9th Nov 2012, 22:29
Ice Pilots Season 4 Ep 1 available at TPB

Ozzie Mozzie
9th Nov 2012, 23:56
There's some pretty dramatic footage of an electra ploughing through a snow bank on the 'coming this season' bit at the start

SgtBundy
10th Nov 2012, 09:33
I watched S4E1 the other night - Joe does some interesting handling of a DC3, its worth watching for that. I will wait and see if anything interesting comes out of the rest of the season.

The way I watch this is just to ignore the over the top dramatisation and mountain out of molehills the producers do, and just watch it for the aircraft and crews and some of the interesting operations they do. Same goes for Flying Wild Alaska and Alaska Wing Men - the drama adds nothing, if anything it gets in the way of good stories.

Out of interest, how many "Buffalo Joe" type personalities are there out there? The guy knows his flying but his HR skills fall a long way short.

Bonniciwah
12th Nov 2012, 04:37
Alaska Wing Men is the worst for over-dramatising things. I remember when they made flying in controlled airspace near Anchorage look deadly - there seems to be certain death before every ad.

I also hate how they keep having to repeat the storyline - yes, we know the Electra is flying up to the North Pole on a defence contract and the whole future of Buffalo Airlines and Dwayne's career depends on it. You told us three times already!

I like FWA and Ice Pilots, but I fear future series will suffer he same thing as many of those Discovery shows where the "real people" become celebrities and stories start centering around their life in the limelight rather than what made them interesting in the first place - American Chopper is a prime example.

But, being an avgeek and student pilot I still enjoy them especially when they show how the pilots deal with issues.

The Green Goblin
12th Nov 2012, 06:29
I love it on SE4 EP01 how an "overshoot" (go 'round) is a risky maneuver that should be avoided at all costs for fear of impending death.

Man they talk some crap on that show sometimes.

Cutting through the crap I think that Joe was upset that the CP flew to below 300 feet before deciding to go 'round. He said that if there was a problem he should have abandoned the approach early and problem solved. He also should have had better system knowledge. The producers made it sound like it was tempting crashing into a mountain and should be avoided at all costs.

TBM-Legend
12th Nov 2012, 06:44
dropping a mock bomb from the DC6

actually a DC-4.

Nice flying in that..

MakeItHappenCaptain
12th Nov 2012, 08:37
But, being an avgeek and student pilot I still enjoy them especially when they show how the pilots deal with issues.

They've made it to the city, but it's now dark and all they have to locate the airport with is an adf and a gps.....:rolleyes::ugh:

Tune in next week, folks, to see if they survive...

SgtBundy
12th Nov 2012, 09:19
It is a pity they go so far into the DRAMA! type storytelling, where they could probably do a more documentary and less emotive style that would still appeal to the audience that would watch it. Slogging it out in those winters and the sorts of things that go wrong in an operation like that are still quite interesting, well, for someone like me on the outside looking in it is.

I wonder who's call it was to hide the incident where they dinged the C-46s wing and made out on the show like it was a ground handling incident when it was in fact a tree strike while showing off for the cameras.... It did seem odd they played up the mine being upset over the safety issues for something in the show described as in such a minor way.

Avitor
10th Dec 2012, 23:11
Mikey has had his nose pushed out. How long will that new manager last, he looks a bit of an ar$hole to me!

Evanelpus
11th Dec 2012, 15:42
The new guy certainly believes his own press, seems very arrogant to me. can't see his lasting too long.

Also flying wild Alaska 3 is currently airing overseas ....torrents available fm the usual sites

Falling out of love with this programme. What are they doing letting that air head Aerial take to the skies? If she doesn't crash before she's much older, I'm a monkeys Uncle.

shmiddy
11th Dec 2012, 22:04
Does anybody else find the young daughter from flying wild Alaska a pain in the ass?? Did you all see her first solo? WtF, she makes the show painful.. Otherwise it's a great show.

Lord Spandex Masher
11th Dec 2012, 22:08
But you would though!

DEEWHY
11th Dec 2012, 22:08
Looks like old Joe will get his wish to phase out of Electra ops here

Ice Pilots NWT (http://www.icepilots.com/episode4_6.php)

shmiddy
11th Dec 2012, 22:21
Yeah for sho sho! Probly even sign the mom of to, just to get hrs up

Terrey
12th Dec 2012, 04:07
I think you will find Arial is one of the producers of the show. I had read it was initially her idea. Not as dumb as she plays on screen I think.

Engineer_aus
12th Dec 2012, 05:09
Ariel is pretty switched on. Hot too in real life ;)

Ice Pilots is up to Season 4 now anyway.

SgtBundy
12th Dec 2012, 13:12
Flying Wild Alaska ended with Season 3 - the last season really didn't add much aviation wise other than watching Ariel fluff through learning to fly. My understanding is she was trying to break into TV and was on something before this, which she then got the contacts to make this show and put herself on TV even more. She appears on some talk shows enough and last I saw was doing a tour of Scotland with Craig Ferguson - so much for an aviation career.

It was galling watching her learn - here I am, keen, willing to learn but lacking in funds to do anything about it. There she is with a new glass cockpit 172 bought for her, free lessons from a company of experienced instructors and she does not bother to look at the theory or understand what she is doing for most of it. :yuk: :ugh:

Maisk Rotum
12th Dec 2012, 13:18
What is the best torrent site to watch this? With little complications.

I watched the first two series of Ice Pilots and gritted my teeth through the 'drama' but for me it was all about the aeroplanes and the real aviator characters, not the melodrama. I have worked for Arnies and Joes before. They exist elsewhere!! I flew 50s vintage aircraft (DH114, VC8) so this is cool to watch but every time I click on a torrent site and download the first bit of software, it becomes invasive and they want to take control of your laptop.

Help? What is the best torrent for this that works for you?

BTW. I think Arial/Ariel from FWA is annoying, but without her it would not interest the non-aviation punters. Her dad is interesting to aviators, but perhaps not to the rest of the Nat Geo viewers.

Evanelpus
12th Dec 2012, 13:29
It was galling watching her learn - here I am, keen, willing to learn but lacking in funds to do anything about it.

Jealousy is such an ugly emotion lol:)

SgtBundy
13th Dec 2012, 02:45
But... but.. I just want to do that too.... :sad::{:{:{