PDA

View Full Version : Which Log Book?

Scott C
15th Jul 2012, 19:43
Hi All,

Sorry if this sounds like a really daft question, but I am not sure if and when I should be using a different log book.

At the moment I am using an average PPL log book that can be bought from AFE, Transair etc. However, I aim to gain my fATPL and wondered when I should start using a Professional Pilots Log Book?

Do I keep my PPL Hours in one log book and CPL+ hours in the the other? Or, should I buy a Professional Pilots Log Book and copy all of my current flights in to that one?

Many thanks in advance,

Flying Wild
15th Jul 2012, 22:21
You'll end up having to send your logbook off to the CAA for issue of your CPL, so if you haven't got too many hours in your PPL logbook it could be prudent to start afresh in a 'professional pilots' logbook. Will ultimately save on postage!

Scott C
15th Jul 2012, 23:02
Thanks for your reply Flying Wild.

I currently have 135 hours, which breaks down in to approximately 160 flights ...so copying it all over could take a while! :uhoh:

Flying Wild
16th Jul 2012, 19:59
You could just add the totals from your PPL logbook to the top of the first page in your new logbook, having that as your number two logbook.

Mark 1
16th Jul 2012, 22:17
Your log book needs to meet the requirements of both ANO art.79 and JAR FCL 1.080 to be fully compliant.

Specifically, the times of departure and arrival are required under UK rules but not JAR (only date).
You will want to separately detail IFR time (which may be in VMC) and Instrument time (which may be under VFR - in VMC with foggles and a safety pilot).

The other requirements are mostly standard to all log books.
So, if your PPL log book meets those needs, or has extra columns that you can label up and total to comply, then you can carry on using it.

If you want to continue with a big professional log-book, just draw a line under the last entry, close it and transfer the totals to your new log book.

Multiple log books are a good idea for different classes of aircraft - fixed, rotary, glider etc, but better to keep one book for the same class or keeping column totals correct and traceable would become problematic.

Scott C
17th Jul 2012, 09:05
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply also.

I have just ordered a Professional Pilot's Log Book from FlightStore.

I'm a bit OCD, so will probably sit down and copy all of my flights in to it, so I have one logbook that is neat and tidy.

Scott.

dhc83driver
17th Jul 2012, 21:04
Why not go electronic? online systems like pilotlog or some of the off line systems are very good and allow you to search, use stats and track legality.

I was able to upgrade to my ATPL (very simple form filling with the search function) with a printout from my electronic log book signed to say that the hours were correct and a letter from my company to say that the numbers added up to there records.

I do agree that a neat well written log book is a fantastic thing to have but electronic is very easy, eg loading a roster in as provisional data (only having fill in actual times and reg and you can do it on your phone!) it will automatically work out your night hours! no more looking through the almanac!.

Scott C
17th Jul 2012, 21:46
Hi dhc83driver,

I do use an electronic log book as well. I use Pilot's Log - Online logbook for pilots (http://www.pilotslogonline.com) to keep a track of my hours rather than having to keep checking my 'paper' one.

I just want a hand-written one that will look neat and tidy and the online one is easier to search for bits, but is also a back-up if my other goes missing...I like back up! ;)