PDA

View Full Version : Mental Maths

fcooper94
15th Jul 2012, 12:34
Hello Guys

I am starting a CTC wings course in september - CP100, and I wanted to know what online sites are there to practice mental maths and where they be applied to avation.

I have already ordered 'Mental Maths for Pilot' but it hasnt arrived yet.

Thanks Guys
Fraser Cooper

Note: Anybody Else out there, who has been on or is starting a CTC course please PM me your Skype.

morno
16th Jul 2012, 07:43
Honestly, I failed maths in high school, and I can still fly an aircraft. So the level of maths required, is not very high!

If you can do your 3 times tables, that's about as complex as you'll have to get without pulling out a whiz wheel or a calculator.

morno

troppo
16th Jul 2012, 09:24
i struggle every night trying to figure out if she is an 8 out of ten or a 9.
we are only talking about 2 beers difference or 700ml of alcohol and then i start thinking about other numbers like 69...
what more maths do you need to know?

SHVC
16th Jul 2012, 10:04
23*3=69 easy

mattyj
16th Jul 2012, 10:12
actually he won't be riding anything pressurized for a few months so start with five times table..:ok:

VH-XXX
16th Jul 2012, 10:16
It's all about thinking on your feet and rates.

1 mile per minute covered at 60 knots.
2 miles per minute covered at 120 knots.

That makes it easy to calculate distances.

200 miles = 100 minutes at 120 knots. Easy.
200 miles = 200 minutes at 60 knots. Easy.

Based on those figures, it's very easy to work out how far you will travel at 90 knots - it's 150 minutes. See?

Same with fuel burn. You need to check your calculated figures by doing them in your head.

60 litres per hour. 5 hour flight, therefore 350 litres, plus reserve.

Then calculate your reserve such as 45 minutes fuel, therefore 45 litres.

Thinking quickly and checking calculations by using your head.

Then try it in your head up high where the air is thin!

compressor stall
16th Jul 2012, 10:39
Do the mental speed maths when you are driving.

kellykelpie
16th Jul 2012, 11:03
At my RAAF interview I was asked how long to 100nm target doing 360 knots. I said aloud "that's 6miles a minute, into 100 is 16 and a bit minutes" to which the interviewer stated that I wasn't very accurate with my bombs! To my surprise, I got the "40 seconds" soon after (and the job)....

Chimbu chuckles
16th Jul 2012, 13:10
Well 4 nm is exactly 2/3rds of 6nm/minute - 40seconds, KK:ok:

Homesick-Angel
16th Jul 2012, 14:23
I had one serious retardation at school, and it was maths( others would say I had many )...
I haven't run out of fuel, been lost etc. As my favorite aviation author wrote in "fate is the hunter" , " the time for happy guesswork is over" meaning all the hard calcs are done with whizz well or calculator.
You'll pick it up as you, and it's surprising how little you'll need a whizz wheel as you go on..
the mental Mathis book you've ordered is not bad, but get a highlighter, and mark the ones that are useful to you.
Have fun.