PDA

View Full Version : Aware update

rans6andrew
14th Jul 2012, 13:18
I have spent over an hour doing the update on my Aware.

Why is the whole process such a dogs breakfast?

The first issue I always have is the password, it is an obscure (probably very secure!) collection of letters and numbers that I can't remember from one minute to the next. I failed to find an option to change it to something I can remember. Does it need to be so secure and obscure? after all, the only need for it seems to be to allow a FREE update of stuff to people with the Aware hardware. I request a new password, which is emailed very swiftly, I see the email arrive and open it, go back to the login screen, cut and paste the password across and........... "Incorrect Password". Copy and paste again..... Swear a bit. The I find that a second email with a different password has arrived, time stamped just one minute after the first. Latest password is accepted.

The next issue is the installation programme, it is hiding in my Vista PC somewhere but it does not show in the list of installed programmes. The easy thing is to download it again and launch it from the download window in Firefox. I notice that my download window shows many copies of the installer! One more won't hurt.

Then I download the actual update of airspace restrictions and plug in the Aware. Copy to the desktop so I can find it.

The installer then fails to connect with the device, a Winoze CE thingy opens after about 5 minutes and the installer still fails to connect with the device. I kill the Windoze CE and wait a few more minutes and then, fingers crossed, the contact with the device is established and the data downloads. Takes a while but it does seem to complete, eventually, hurrah.

Does anyone else have this struggle with it?

Rans6...

TotalBeginner
14th Jul 2012, 14:59
I just eject the SD card and insert it into my Mac. I open the folder and drag and drop the updated files. None of the other methods have worked for me.

piperarcher
14th Jul 2012, 15:15
I had the same problems with the installer on Windows XP and Windows 7. I do the same as totalbeginner. There are instructions on the Aware websit somewhere telling you what to do. I think you download the updates as a .zip, expand them on your PC and copy the contents to the SD card, which you need to stick in your PC. There always seem to be 2 .zip files to download, and I am never sure which one I need so I just do both. Always seems to work for me.

rans6andrew
16th Jul 2012, 10:33
my PC doesn't have a slot for an SD card, the utilities for everything else (cameras, phone etc) just work. Plug in the USB, a few seconds delay, application launches, point and click. Job done.

Rans6....

mikehallam
16th Jul 2012, 15:28
But of course almost free Card slot plug ins with p.c. size USB connection are an easy alternative.

I usually do it the long way round, mind you, having more or less got the AWARE update sequence tamed, but using the card method is tons quicker & less hassle.

mike.

AndoniP
17th Jul 2012, 08:07
my PC doesn't have a slot for an SD card, the utilities for everything else (cameras, phone etc) just work

you should have got an adapter into which you place the small SD card, this adapter has a standard USB connector so you can plug in to the PC.

If you don't, then this is the kind of thing you need:

http://blog.treonauts.com/TreoMicroSDCardAdapter2.jpg