PDA

View Full Version : Jet Stream

OUAQUKGF Ops
14th Jul 2012, 09:49
Is there any evidence that in the long term the density of Transatlantic Flights has caused or contributed to the changes in the Jet Stream that we witness today?

Nemrytter
14th Jul 2012, 10:01
Not as far as I know, changes in the jetstream are closely related to climate change and - in particular - el nino. The effects of aircraft are negligible.

Sleeve Wing
14th Jul 2012, 11:41
No doubt that the massive loss of the Polar icecap is keeping the Atlantic colder further South than in previous years.
This is more likely to be the temperature change that is affecting the position of the jetstream and thus the tracks of the associated depressions, isn't it ? ........and the latest wet Summers in UK ? :confused:

Just a spotter
14th Jul 2012, 11:43
It's more likely to be tied in with changes in the North Atlantic Oscillation, which is the movement in flow/route of the Gulf Stream across the ocean to a more northerly or southerly track over time.

BobnSpike
14th Jul 2012, 12:26
It is solely and individually Al Gore's fault.

golfyankeesierra
14th Jul 2012, 13:30
changes in the Jet Steam that we witness today
Sorry, what has changed?
It was still there last week..

hillberg
14th Jul 2012, 18:50
Duck farts? What does migrating birds have to do with it? Thought jet stream was a camper with all the bells & wistles. I'll get Al he'll know.

Pugilistic Animus
15th Jul 2012, 17:06
How can we tell if it's a truly ' massive' loss of ice or just a natural cycle?...we didn't have space satellites for millions of years to know what they're supposed to be doing

Old Smokey
16th Jul 2012, 08:24
Serious, non tongue in cheek reply, just what are the changes in the Jet Steam that we witness today ?

I've only been flying for 46 years, and, apart from normal cyclic changes alluded to by Pugilistic Animus, nothing much seems to have changed. Maybe I'm a slow learner:confused:

Regards,

Old Smokey

BOAC
17th Jul 2012, 14:32
I've only been flying for 46 years, and, apart from normal cyclic changes alluded to by Pugilistic Animus, nothing much seems to have changed. Maybe I'm a slow learner - well this one is a bit different - the Jet is well south of its normal summer position, possibly nudging its winter latitude, and the weather in UK is big pants. I'm just a little concerned that the Gulfstream shift this year is far bigger than usual and that it will be bathing the Bay of Biscay rather than good ol' UK, but that no-one here has the cojones to break the news to us.

Pity those athletes from warmer climes in London right now!

Pugilistic Animus
17th Jul 2012, 18:13
It changes it's prevailing latitude for various and sundry reasons from time to time...:)

BOAC
17th Jul 2012, 18:36
Get away:confused: You are kidding?

Pugilistic Animus
17th Jul 2012, 19:06
BOAC what I mean is that they meander around for various complex reasons, I did not necessarily write that for your benefit, I'm not doubting your observations I'm just afraid that this thread may turn into yet another 'global whining' 'climate change' thread...with the wording in some posts...I can see the writing on the wall...for that discussion

just for completeness sake

Jet stream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_stream)
They do a good job with it here
:):):)