PDA

View Full Version : King Air C90-- Survey?

orionwimsey
14th Jul 2012, 06:20
Anybody have experience using C90xx on photo survey? Wondered what its fuel burn looks like low and slow.

silverknapper
14th Jul 2012, 11:51
Never have but can give you POH burn if you like.

Gut instinct would be no way. Unless you have a reason to use one there must be a a few more suitable aircraft. Twinstar? Diesel 172?

Tinstaafl
14th Jul 2012, 17:58
Why on earth would you use a pressurised turbine for a 'low & slow' operation? Unless you have problems getting avgas, or you have other uses for the plane that benefit from pressurisation?

Depending on what power setting you use, at low level I'd expect 300-400lb/hr or so at low-ish power & around 500lb/hr at more normal settings. Bear in mind it's been years since I last flew a C90.

orionwimsey
15th Jul 2012, 01:55
Gents, yes we have problems getting avgas, and the aircraft will be used on exec. opps mostly. I agree there are much more suitable machines if only needed for survey. Best compromise is the winner. AND, there is an STC for the camera hole, so it is used as such.

If Silverknapper would be kind enough to give me the 2,000 ft 120 kts fuel burn data, ISA plus 10, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks for contributions

nopax
17th Jul 2012, 04:37
Dynacorp, a company based in Los Alamitos, California uses King Air 90s for low altitude work (sterile bug application), and have been doing so for many years, but not at 120 knots. For those speeds perhaps a Caravan may handle better, as a King Air 90's short wing, high drag configuration and high power settings required for the speed would be unforgiving in the event of an engine loss. If you must have a twin, I'd suggest a Twin Otter, as you could find one to buy/lease fairly easily. There is one used by a defense contractor based around San Diego.

That said, you'd be looking at around 600-700 pounds per hour in a C90 for that profile. I doubt the POH/AFM will have it, as it's an unusual configuration.

I just reread and saw you'd mostly use for executive operations, and I'd suggest a good King Air 200, longer wing, and handles much better at slower speeds than any 90 I've flown.

Flaymy
17th Jul 2012, 22:25
F406? Used by many British survey companies.