PDA

View Full Version : Sky News spills beans on secret HMS Ocean mods

Offenbach
13th Jul 2012, 18:11
HMS Ocean will be the London base for Typhoons and helicopters, Sky News just reported.

Well done to all who toiled secretly to adapt Ocean for the Typhoons !!!

FODPlod
13th Jul 2012, 18:59
...and those who adapted the Tiffies for VTOL. It seems the quandary about the QEs and the F-35B is solved. Huzzah!

Milo Minderbinder
13th Jul 2012, 21:18
no, no, no,no

The pilots and groundcrew are to be based on Ocean, but she's going to be tied up next to London City airport
The Typhoons are going to fly from there

well you wanted a rumour

kbrockman
13th Jul 2012, 22:52
Talking about ridiculous overkill.
Typhoons from Northolt, a helicopter carrier on the Thames, A2A missiles on the top of civilian appartementblocks,.....

Only the SSBN's are missing as a last resort measure, you know in case the German team wins the olympic Quad scull, or even worse, the eight men rowing competition.

The new motto for London2012 "We fear everything"

NutLoose
13th Jul 2012, 23:00
I heard they were going to deploy Buster on top of the stadium in a flashamac as the final deterrent to put them off their aim...

:E

AGS Man
14th Jul 2012, 05:51
kbrockman
Quote from the MOD
We never discuss the deployment or whereabouts of our SSBNs
Watch out for periscopes in the Thames!!!

BikerMark
14th Jul 2012, 06:16
The story about all this military activity being protection against terrorism is just a cover story for the ruthless enforcement of sponsorship & branding.
See BBC News - London 2012: The great Olympics sponsorship bandwagon (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18182541).

Apparently you musn't use the words "Games, Two Thousand and Twelve, 2012, Twenty-Twelve, London, Medals, Sponsors, Summer, Gold, Silver, Bronze".

:oh::uhoh:

Ogre
14th Jul 2012, 07:01
And the only thing you can sell with chips (sorry, potato fries) is a burger!

Only McDonald’s can sell fries at Olympic venues | The Sun |Sport|Olympics (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/4424543/Only-McDonalds-can-sell-fries-at-Olympic-venues.html)

Although I believe that one was overturned on the grounds that it went against the British culinary ethos of "chips with everything":D

Sir George Cayley
14th Jul 2012, 11:00
I'm told Heineken have sole alcohol sales rights. Another reason not to go.:D

SGC

El Grifo
14th Jul 2012, 13:09
Hey Sir G. Could have been worse.

Be grateful it was not that fizzypiss Bud:eek:

Like This - Do That
14th Jul 2012, 13:09
Wifey & I left the sunburnt country and had a splendid couple of weeks in the Land of the Long White Cloud when the Sydney Olympics were running. Had a superb holiday skiing, drinking, eating, 'wow'ing at the Sth Is scenery. "Greatest games ever"? Ha! Greatest opportunity for a trip abroad more like ....

A pox on the entire jingoistic, grubby, drug-addled corruption-fest; and my commiserations for Londoners.

El Grifo
14th Jul 2012, 13:31
Not keen then Likey ??

NutLoose
14th Jul 2012, 13:32
Hey Sir G. Could have been worse.

Be grateful it was not that fizzypiss Bud

Ahhh Budweiser, it is like making love in a boat..... F'ing close to water :p

Pegpilot
14th Jul 2012, 18:32
That would be the same Sky News whose reporter claimed following the tragic midair in Scotland the other week "This event calls into question the decision to withdraw the Harrier fleet rather than the Tornado". Didn't realise until that moment that the Harrier was immune to aerial coming-togethers, but I suppose it serves me right for watching daytime TV !

Wensleydale
15th Jul 2012, 08:48
Watch out for periscopes in the Thames!!!

They are probably already there, but they haven't been reported because the BBC don't recognise what they are! (Although they may interview Buster Merryfield about his days of risking all against the Wolf-Packs).

sisemen
15th Jul 2012, 08:55
Or, more likely, a facile interview with Paloma Faith about how you can make a periscope out of used Olympic toilet rolls. Nar wha' a mean?

Surplus
15th Jul 2012, 11:05
Too many sandbanks in the Thames for the Submarine corps.