PDA

View Full Version : Transaero Irish Registration

WindSheer
13th Jul 2012, 18:00
Why do Transaero have an EI prefix?

DaveReidUK
13th Jul 2012, 18:09
Why do Transaero have an EI prefix?

So that the lessor can get the aircraft out of Russia when they go bust.

Hotel Tango
13th Jul 2012, 18:43
I believe that the purchase and import of aircraft into Russia is a very expensive affair. Consequently a/c are leased and registered outside Russia. You will note that all Airbus and Boeings are EI- VP- or VQ- registered. As one unusual exception, I have seen a Rossija A319 with a Russian RA- registration. However, as this is a government VIP a/c, I guess it's exempt from tax!

bluecode
13th Jul 2012, 20:42
Ireland has a lot of leasing companies. So the EI is commonly seen in places you wouldn't expect. I remember seeing an American airline at JFK with an EI reg.

NacelleStrake
16th Jul 2012, 08:27
Alitalia have a shed load of EI prefix planes also.......

Halton Brat
17th Jul 2012, 13:05
If McDonald's have a corporate jet, is the reg EI-EIO?

Hat/coat etc.

HB

barry lloyd
17th Jul 2012, 22:34
If McDonald's have a corporate jet, is the reg EI-EIO?

Actually, the registration is allocated to a Piper Seneca...

Both Dave Reid and Hotel Tango are correct regarding the reasons for the Irish registrations.

WHBM
17th Jul 2012, 23:22
Both Dave Reid and Hotel Tango are correct regarding the reasons for the Irish registrations.
Indeed. But the reason for the Russian overseas registrations is the huge import duty on aircraft registered in Russia. All mainstream Russian carriers do the same thing; the whole of the Aeroflot Boeing and Airbus fleet are registered in the Bahamas. Only their handful of Sukhoi Superjets recently delivered are registered in Russia.

Italy (and others) are the second reason, to be able to repossess the aircraft if the carrier goes bankrupt, as under Italian bankruptcy law the leased assets are not able to be readily repossessed if they are registered in Italy.

There are other reasons again that apply elsewhere. Some countries prohibit it, and even short term leases have to be re-registered locally.