PDA

View Full Version : Incident at Wynyard Airport

Rotor Work
13th Jul 2012, 11:40
Emergency landing at Wynyard airport - Local News - News - General - The Advocate (http://www.theadvocate.com.au/news/local/news/general/emergency-landing-at-wynyard-airport/2623861.aspx)

Good Outcome for Friday 13th.. R W
Emergency landing at Wynyard airport

13 Jul, 2012 09:08 PM
A PILOT has made a safe emergency landing at the Wynyard airport just moments ago.
Residents watched the tense moment as the Piper Chieftan inbound from Melbourne, which was experiencing mechanical problems, successfully made the landing.
The pilot had reported problems with the ability to trim the plan on landing.
A large number of police, fire and ambulance vehicles were on the scene.

FROM EARLIER: EMERGENCY crews are at the Wynyard airport where a plane is having difficulty in landing.
Police are reporting a Piper Chieftan aircraft inbound from Melbourne has reported "mechanical issues".
The wheels of the plane, which is circling the airport, are down but it is having difficulty with "trimming" and can not descend.
Police, ambulance and fire crews are on the scene.
The pilot is in contact with Melbourne air traffic control.

Horatio Leafblower
13th Jul 2012, 12:45
Elevator down spring?

MakeItHappenCaptain
13th Jul 2012, 14:40
I'd more likely suggest CG issues as these things, besides tending to be rear CG critical when heavy (mains burn rearward) also have a CG shift (.69" rearward from memory?) when gear is extended. Get slow...less effective elevator with pitchy aircraft and panicky pilot....

That or trim runaway? All purely speculation at this stage of course.....

quinnyfly
13th Jul 2012, 15:39
Runaway trim or otherwise, glad he made it all the same.

Mr Milk
13th Jul 2012, 16:21
Tasfast? What rego anyone?

Jack Ranga
13th Jul 2012, 17:34
MYX? The 7000 year old Chieftain with 140,000 hours on the frame

Rotor Work
14th Jul 2012, 00:22
Mechanical problems cause airport drama

Update from todays Advocate

BY CAMERON WHITELEY
14 Jul, 2012 12:00 AM
A PILOT was forced to make an emergency landing at Wynyard airport last night after encountering mechanical difficulties with his aircraft.

Concerned onlookers watched nervously as the Tasfast freight service Piper Chieftain, carrying only the pilot on board, circled the Wynyard area for nearly an hour.

The 22-year-old pilot from Victoria, whose name could not be provided, first reported the problems to air traffic control in Melbourne about 8.30pm.

Police said the aircraft was about 60 nautical miles off Wynyard when he realised there were issues with the trim of the aircraft which could jeopardise the landing.

Three police vehicles, five fire service units and three units from the airport responded to the reports and started to put in place a plan for the landing.

"We were able to have communications with the pilot and discuss a landing plan for him and have everyone in position prior to him coming into landing," Tasmania Police Sergeant Mark Forteath said.

"We were told he had 150 litres of fuel on board so we knew that time wasn't such an issue at that particular moment.

"We were able to then tell him to land once when everyone was in position, and he came in for an emergency landing which was excellent."

Sgt Forteath said the pilot had acted well under pressure.

"No one was hurt, the pilot has walked away quite happily and the aircraft wasn't damaged either. It was a really good landing and the pilot should be praised for his efforts," he said.
"He was doing a really good job (during the communications), he was very very calm and doing a brilliant job for the stress that he was under.

Stationair8
14th Jul 2012, 05:47
Biggest thing that has happened at Burnie/Wynyard since young Tony(RIP), had the handbrake problem in the **x company vehicle.

Where was the rescue chopper?

14th Jul 2012, 08:06
@Jack Ranga,

I am laughing my arse off at the accuracy of your post.

You forgot to mention the 50 wheels ups the thing has had too!!

Haaaaa hahaha. Gold.

porch monkey
14th Jul 2012, 11:28
Funny yes, accurate, well, no........ 38 years and 24,000hrs bit closer to the mark:E

jas24zzk
14th Jul 2012, 13:36
The hours on these old chiefie's, you'd think there'd be a market for new builds.

tasdevil.f27
14th Jul 2012, 13:51
Don't forget the wheels up back in September 2010, I can't remember which rego it was now.

Stationair8
15th Jul 2012, 06:05
Sounds like it might be covered under the Piper warranty programme with those hours.

outnabout
15th Jul 2012, 07:48
Jack Ranga / Porch Monkey / Stationair et al - :D

That's comedy gold!

While we're on the funny stuff: (note to Mods - slight thread drift alert)
In today's news, the PM has promised that $1 billlion will be spent giving low-paid employees a wage rise.

Betcha my left :mad: that pilots aren't on the list.

jas24zzk
15th Jul 2012, 12:13
...nor panel beaters

Old but not bold
15th Jul 2012, 22:30
As already mentioned it was a good outcome and all the young tyros can look and learn the causes and how the pilot saved this relic by reading future editions of the FSM :confused: :confused: :confused:

porch monkey
16th Jul 2012, 08:12
Jaz, a new build chieftain would cost you more than a caravan. Nobody would buy them.

MakeItHappenCaptain
16th Jul 2012, 08:34
Yeah, but just wait until the wing comes of some Somalian relic and a grounding is effected until a SIDs program is developed and enacted...:cool:

Gonna see some panic in the industry then. Why are we still flying 40 year old pieces of crap anyhoo? Like catching an XB Falcon as a taxi, for Chrissake!:rolleyes:

BlatantLiar
16th Jul 2012, 08:45
Probably because theres been next to no improvement in fuel efficiency or maintenance costs for light aircraft over the decades. Theres no incentive to outlay capital on new aircraft.

diddly squat
16th Jul 2012, 09:46
38 years and 24,000hrs bit closer to the mark

Still young at heart, She still has 26,000 good hours to run in Oz GA :ok:

Horatio Leafblower
16th Jul 2012, 11:00
Actually Dids, it's 2,000 hours to go for a total of 26,000.

A Titan... now THAT's a 40,000 hour aircraft! :ok:

outnabout
16th Jul 2012, 23:00
Given that the GA fleet is ageing, and the average age of aircraft seems to be 40 years, what happened 40 years ago that a whole fleet of aircraft were brought into Aus?

(Be gentle, I'm only young....ish)

And whatever "it" was, why can't "it" happen again?

Pinky the pilot
17th Jul 2012, 05:00
Given that the GA fleet is ageing, and the average age of aircraft seems to be 40 years, what happened 40 years ago that a whole fleet of aircraft were brought into Aus?

And whatever "it" was, why can't "it" happen again?

A pity Gaunty isn't still around on these boards because I suspect he would be able to answer that quite easily. Seem to remember he once posted on that subject.

Just a thought; Torres may be able to explain just as well.

Believe that it had a lot to do with being able to do a tax write off on the purchase price of a new aircraft.:confused:

Jack Ranga
17th Jul 2012, 05:30
22k, Dood, 50 wheels up in 7000 years.......not bad mate ;) (1 every 140 years)

Porch, I've heard the EDV story, there's at least an extra 35,000 unaccounted for hours on them frames :E

Torres
17th Jul 2012, 08:40

No single answer.

Aircraft were relatively far cheaper to purchase and cost far less to operate and subsidised finance was available. GA aircraft designs were not stifled by modern regulation and most of the development cost, particularly for US built aircraft, was funded my the US military or NASA. Can you imagine the difference in design and construction cost of a 1960s Cessna seat, versus todays 24G resistant high tech safety seats?

Fuel was very cheap. I don't recall the price per gallon but I do recall a crude price of $7 per barrel (159 liters) in the mid to late 1960s.

The cost of flying training was subsidised by Government. In 1961 my local aero club charged £4/10/- ($9) per hour for a Chipmunk, although as a 17 year old I think my wage was somewhere around £8/10/- ($17) per week.

The cost of airline flying was prohibitively expensive and until the 1980s, very few Australians had ever flown in an airline aircraft. The only airfare I remember was the Ansett flying boat service between Hobart and Sydney; in 1952 my parents flew Hobart to Sydney and back and I seem to recall their return air fares for two was around £600 ($1,200) or approximately two thirds the price of a new Holden FX sedan.

GA aircraft are now older and far more expensive to maintain, whilst the very significant reduction in the cost of airline travel has put down ward pressure on the price a GA operator can charge.

In the 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s rural airservices were Government subsidised through the predecessor of the Rural Air Services Scheme (RASS), introduced by the Menzies Government.

And in those days, the DCA inspector was a reasonable, intelligent and rather knowledgeable fellow, a current and competent pilot who probably had the odd DFC or DSO earned in battle, received around 150 flying hours per year at DCA expense and who knew how to sort out problems without fuss around the back of the hangar or over tea and bikkies in the crew room.

porch monkey
17th Jul 2012, 09:36
Ranga my man, you may have heard about it, but I lived it! Ok, I'll concede EDV might have a few more (lot more) hours on it courtesy of it's previous owners. The other 2 that were there when I was are pretty genuine tho. Having said that, last I flew them, someone was working on a SIDS scheme for PA-31's, to get them to around 40,000 like the cessnas. Not convinced I'd want to be flying them then......:ok:

LewC
18th Jul 2012, 01:02
The AUD/USD exchange rate in the 70's also might have had something to do with the flood of imports,any where between $1.40 in 1973 and $1.30 in 1974.After the AUD was floated in December 1983 those happy days were gone forever.

Stationair8
18th Jul 2012, 02:57
Plenty of quality paid ICUS time available with those hours then!

Back in the late 80's a PA-31/310 VH-***(one of the first in the country) was doing the rounds of various operators. Somebody made the comment that it only had just over 5000 hours TT, old GA driver say's "I flew that for ***** and they sold it, when it had 10,000 hours on the airframe back in 1979"

porch monkey
18th Jul 2012, 05:00
Yeah, just think of how much money stupid people have paid into that farce over the years......

43Inches
18th Jul 2012, 06:25
Given that the GA fleet is ageing, and the average age of aircraft seems to
be 40 years, what happened 40 years ago that a whole fleet of aircraft were brought into Aus?

Piper and Cessna did what most car manufacturers did in the late 60s and 70s and that's overproduce and sell cheap. They were doing well until the late 70s and particularly the 80s where civil actions against them started to mount up due to faults and poor legal advice. This had two effects, one, to increase price of the aircraft to afford liabilities and two, improve the technology of the aircraft to avoid liabilities, which in turn pushed up the price. Because the market was flooded with so many low cost aircraft only a few years old the market dried up and both companies hit the wall and production of GA aircraft virtually stopped. Today the average price of new GA aircraft is way beyond the average person so sales are relatively sparse. Add to this modern infrastructure and cars can get you quickly to most locations traditionally served by light aircraft in the past.

Jack Ranga
18th Jul 2012, 06:37
Porch, I lived it too :} but on my own risk analysis I was too much of a scardycat to keep crossing the strait! I figured that the hours on those things would catch up with some poor bastard...........

But they just keep going!!

porch monkey
19th Jul 2012, 06:10
Ranga dude, what are ya? 'fraidy cat is right. 8+ years and over 4000 hrs crossing the ditch, nary a problem other than weather! Harden up mate.:ok::)

Wallsofchina
19th Jul 2012, 07:01
Anyone found out what the trim problem was?

PLovett
19th Jul 2012, 08:35
Believe, at multiple hands from the original, that the cockpit trim wheel came adrift.

If that is possible. If not, don't flame me as I am only passing on what I was told.

Wallsofchina
19th Jul 2012, 09:36
Thanks for that

porch monkey
20th Jul 2012, 02:24
Possible, as it's only pinned to the shaft. But the electric trim would still be working, should be a non event if that was the case...... Must be more to it than that I think.

Lancair70
20th Jul 2012, 03:02
Possible, as it's only pinned to the shaft. But the electric trim would still be working, should be a non event if that was the case...... Must be more to it than that I think.

I may be wrong here, but I thought the trim was all connected, if the trim wheel came adrift and jammed, the electric trim wouldnt work either as the cable cannot move. ?

Jack Ranga
20th Jul 2012, 05:15
Porch, I do harden up.........not over strait crossings though :E

VH-XXX
20th Jul 2012, 07:52
Like an autopilot in a boat, it moves the actual steering wheel (Note for Sunfish - I know it's a Helm).

They are not seperate systems normally; if you jam the manual trim you jam the auto trim, just like the autopilot, if you jam the yoke, you jam the autopilot, however if you jam the autopilot, you don't jam the yoke because you can over-ride the servo with the built-in failsafe.

porch monkey
20th Jul 2012, 14:23
The post said it came adrift. The wheel can go out the window, who cares. It doesn't stop the electric trim working. Now if it was jammed, that's another matter. Two different words that can have two different outcomes.

jas24zzk
21st Jul 2012, 13:14
I disagree with you there porchie.

At the level of A/c we are talking, the trim cable is wound around a spool attatched to the trim wheel. It has several turns, whereby you wind cable on and off in either direction. Exactly the same as boat with cable steering. Take a look at one if you can.

The trim wheel and spool share a common shaft, so if you are able to toss the trim wheel overboard, you'd be sending the spool over as well. End result is a couple of foot of loose cable. The electic trim might be able to help you in one direction (never the one you really want) but the end result is you have a floating trim tab.

Same goes for any control surface.

As for the autopilot servo's locking, my understanding is that, as part of the certification, the average pilot should be able to overpower the autopilot.
I did my twin ticket in about 2001, and the type i was being trained on, the official checklist included checking that this could be done. It wasn't something we did, as the engineers complained about the extra maintenance it produced, and we settled the checks to it operated correctly, and released when we pressed the big red button.