PDA

View Full Version : Do I HAVE to buy purchase a JAA / EASA Course??

PatTheDog
13th Jul 2012, 05:13
Hey all just wondering if anybody clarify for me.

I have a CASA ATPL and FAA ATP. I also have more than 1500 hours on type of a multi crew aircraft.

I have been told that if I do a modular course I am exempt from having to sit the ground school, I can just purchase their course for 2000 odd pounds and do the tests.

My question is: Can I just purchase somebody's second hand text books study and then rock up for the tests?

Also I have the right to work in the UK. (not EU) I have a fresh A320 rating with about 3000 total. Is anybody able to give me the pros and cons of either spending my money on an EASA conversion or am I better of using the cashola on doing recurrent training and hoping to just somehow land a job without time on type. (Before people ask why I decided to get a type rating without a job lined up in the first place. I had one but the company went belly up.)

paco
13th Jul 2012, 06:03
You could technically just rock up for the exams, but you would be very unwise to do so without some preparation due to the abysmal nature of the questions (many of the are either just plain wrong or are looking for incoreect answers). You need briefing on that, or at least a subscription to a question bank. You don't need a signature from a school - there is a self certifying slot on the application form for yours.

Also, be careful of whose secondhand notes you buy, or rather which school they came from. Some of them, while being excellent for reference and instructor-led study, are not good enough for home study (try reading them aloud for a few minutes and see how far you get).

redsnail
13th Jul 2012, 08:31
Patthedog, I would recommend you have a look at Bristol Ground School. Checkboard did it and he thought it was very worth while (He had +7,000 hours on various things inc B737s and Bae146s - ex Ansett)
The "brush up" components get you up to speed on the exams etc. Well worth it because redoing the exams are a right PITA.

To complete your licence conversion, you'll need to do some sort of flight test. Best bet, doing the LST in an Airbus sim with a CAA examiner observing.

BigGrecian
14th Jul 2012, 03:28
Also I have the right to work in the UK. (not EU)

This rings alarm bells for me.

Your post implies you may need a crew visa for every country you fly to if you join an airline...

Most airlines in Europe require EU passports as a minimum - the right to work isn't normally enough on it's own. Not saying it can't be done, it just limits your options.

redsnail
14th Jul 2012, 11:19
Big Grecian, I'm reading it that Pat has an ancestral visa and that gives multiple entries to the UK. I know of another Aussie who worked for an orange loco on that visa for several years. ;) His nationality wasn't an issue nor did any other agency worry when he o/nighted in France/Germany etc. :ok:

PatTheDog
14th Jul 2012, 19:45
RedSnail, you are correct. That is the exact visa I intend to use.

redsnail
15th Jul 2012, 08:10
Cool :ok: Watch the time limits on it, in particular, when they "start" it and so on. If I were you, go to Bristol for their Ground School and definitely do their "brush up" weeks. Well worth it.
Probably advisable to knock off the medical ASAP too in Gatwick. You'll get an equivalent of an ARN then. ;)

madlandrover
16th Jul 2012, 19:56
I know of another Aussie who worked for an orange loco on that visa for several years.

He didn't end up going to NZ for a few years on 737s then RFDS in Cairns by any chance...?

redsnail
16th Jul 2012, 20:57
No, he became a "paper pom" aka British citizen and is still at the Orange loco. ;)

madlandrover
18th Jul 2012, 20:13
Ah, a different one with similar career path then ;)