PDA

View Full Version : aircraft engineer

Ryanward1
11th Jul 2012, 21:23
Hi im just wanting abit of information on aircraft engineer, im 19 and this summer ill be quailified mechanic. i live in huddersfield so i didn't have the funds or away of getting too an airport to stddy aircraft engineer when i left school so thought car mechanics would give me some knowledge i could use on aircrafts. i just want to know the dirrent jobs in an aircraft engineer can you go into the electric side of it or do you just learn about all off it. from looking on websites all i can find is that the apprenticeships normally last about 4 years and they start adverising about march time. apart from that i cant find outa much about it. just want to know about the prospects how far can you go in it? the average salary? is it a 9 to 5 job onces quailfied or is it shifts?

thanks

cockney steve
14th Jul 2012, 10:42
Well, Ryan ward, you haven't had much luck so far, have you?

Unfortunately, your spelling is very poor.Like it or lump it, in the real world, you'll have to write technical reports accurately. Perhaps evening-classes in English would help?

As you are now a "qualified mechanic" (really? after only 3 years? ) you'll be earning enough to buy a scooter /motorbike/ moped and get yourself to Leeds-Bradford...
There's nothing like a bit of knocking on doors, asking if you can see the Chief Engineer / mechanic /boss....and asking what's involved in an Aviation engineering carreer.

If you can strip and repair/rebuild Automotive starters/alternators/dynamos, trace circuits and make accurate diagnosis down to component-level (count a "black box brain " as a component, you may stand a chance.

Use a bit of initiative and don't be afraid to ask, face to face, what other avenues you can pursue for information.

Good luck!

good spark
14th Jul 2012, 15:06
ryanward1
steve has summed it up nicely brush up on the spelling and go knock on doors dont just sit at home emailing cv`s
and all the best to you.

Ryanward1
18th Jul 2012, 17:55
Thanks for the replies, on the spelling part It is my weakest thing was also my writing but that's improved as every job we have to write a report up us some i will brush up on. With the electrical part I have always been the top in my classes and i understand electrical diagrams and tracing it for faults broken wires etc , diagnosing electrical faults is a fairly common thing, on cars now the normally just replace the part rather then strip it down, I do normally strip it down to see how it works(i enjoy seeing how things work) and which internal parts gone faulty, Looks like a trip to manchester and leeds is in order, i own a car and it take about the same amount of time away from Manchester/Leeds Bradford which would be the best place to go first? Just one other thing will my age go against me I'm 20 next week and have missed this years slot for apprentices so I'm going to be almost 21 by next April time? *

cockey Steve I get my papers this summer took me 3 years to get an nvq level 3 in mechanics it's just the basics you learn my company has sent me on an airconditioning course and been on a engine electrical course.

TURIN
18th Jul 2012, 23:11
If you can strip and repair/rebuild Automotive starters/alternators/dynamos, trace circuits and make accurate diagnosis down to component-level (count a "black box brain " as a component, you may stand a chance.

Thats a bit harsh.

Working out which black box is playing up is about as rough as it gets these days. :)

spannersatcx
19th Jul 2012, 15:39
Ah but it's not always the box sometimes the coloured stringy looking bits that go between them and the component play up! :eek:

Beeline
19th Jul 2012, 19:49
Well the managers think a box change solves all snags!

cockney steve
20th Jul 2012, 19:59
Well the managers think a box change solves all snags

my mate uses internet "dating" sites and says the same thing :}