PDA

View Full Version : Workplace discrimination.

Al R
11th Jul 2012, 19:46
Workplace discrimination against armed forces could be made illegal | HRreview (http://www.hrreview.co.uk/hrreview-articles/diversity-equality/workplace-discrimination-against-armed-forces-could-be-made-illegal/36815?goback=%2Egmp_39666)

Talks will focus on discrimination - particularly in the fields of.. harassment or abuse.

I am not pro legislation for the sake of it and issues surounding housing, medical, education and welfare services are very important - especially these days. But has anyone quantified instances of abuse around the watercooler? I wonder if defence and aviation companies will be 'asked' not to take AFPS payments into account and might there be some attempt to harmonise qualifications??

NutLoose
11th Jul 2012, 20:15
Yea right, you can publish all the bull under the Sun, but in real life it sadly means Squat, if I was an employer and I say interviewed someone who was the best I had ever seen best ever qualified etc but was in the TA and I would be expected to give this guy 6 months off every 3 years to go play Soldiers... He would fail as being unsuitable... Not qualified.... Not up to standard etc

There is always more ways to skin a cat than the obvious.

When I came out you were promised the world, but in reality it was all hogwash.. The only people that seemed persistent were the reserves..

Al R
11th Jul 2012, 20:22
Looking at it from the other perspective, I wonder if this is setting the scene for serving until the age of 60? With regard to Reservist/TA service, given the likely increased demands on non Regular Forces in the future, I wonder if legislation for that is going to be bolstered in other ways.

NutLoose
11th Jul 2012, 20:40
And looking at it from some poor Squaddies side who joined up for a career, spent time putting his life on the line and getting shot at, then is made redundant to find himself struggling to put a roof over his head, he then gets bombarded with crap saying join the reserves, save us money and do it cheaper and for less money...

Answers on a postcard as to the response they will get

Going from a force of mainly full time trained combat troops to a part time weekend warrior is hardly a replacement and no offence to those that do it, just one cannot replace the others skill set..

Al R
12th Jul 2012, 06:45
To avoid the whiff of state sponsored discrimination, I wonder if the boys being dicked to check tickets and man gates this summer, at the expense of various civil servants will get a £500 bonus from G4S.

PPRuNe Pop
12th Jul 2012, 12:19
An old hobby horse of mine. I hate discrimination - especially those cases of anti armed forces.

The problem is that it goes on and will contniue to go on. nutloose has it in one. His example of a TA bod NOT getting a job is exactly right he - would excluded. But, once upon a time an employer had to abide by the law that summer camps were mandatory release dates with pay. Plus the usual bounty at end of camp.

Now that the reported number of 35,000 recruits will be sought the government will have to address the problem. Has Hammond thought about it? I wonder.

Two's in
12th Jul 2012, 13:37
Although the individual circumstances are different, the US has the general principle covered under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, or USERRA. It's been around since 1994 and the intention is to "...minimize the disadvantages to an individual that occur when that person needs to be absent from his or her civilian employment to serve in this country's uniformed services". Sounds just like what the UK needs.

elaws - USERRA Advisor (http://www.dol.gov/elaws/vets/userra/userra.asp)

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) was signed into law on October 13, 1994. USERRA clarifies and strengthens the Veterans' Reemployment Rights (VRR) Statute. The Act itself can be found in the United States Code at Chapter 43, Part III, Title 38.

USERRA is intended to minimize the disadvantages to an individual that occur when that person needs to be absent from his or her civilian employment to serve in this country's uniformed services. USERRA makes major improvements in protecting service member rights and benefits by clarifying the law and improving enforcement mechanisms. It also provides employees with Department of Labor assistance in processing claims.