PDA

View Full Version : your application is on file...

Double1717
11th Jul 2012, 08:56
Hey there,

Reading you all since long time, this is my first thread...
I have a question regarding my job search as F/O.

Since I'm applying for a F/O position as low houred CPL pilot, I have received most of the time the following answer :
"As we are receiving a large number of qualified applications at the same time, we have decided to take your application on file at this time."

What can I understand behind this sentence ? Is it a polite way to say that they are not interested in my profile, or will I have a chance (even small) to be recontacted in a few month ?

Maybe (?) I prefer to have a clear answer, like YES we would like to meet you soon, or We regret to inform you that even knowing that you fullfil the minimum required criteria, your application has not been retained by our recruitment team.

eaglesnest1972
11th Jul 2012, 09:20
Hello,

you are lucky you get an answer.
Btw if you are not rated, unless you know someone, lets say you are of no interest to anyone.
These are hard times for low houred frozen atpl guys.
All the best.

Stick35
11th Jul 2012, 14:43
hello

i don't know if it is your cup of tea, but you can try Volotea through the CAE website. Can be a start for you.

darkroomsource
11th Jul 2012, 15:02
In any job, in any market, for the past 20 years, anywhere in the world, you don't get a real response from applications, CVs, emails, phone calls, texts, or any other mode of communication, unless and only if they want to talk to you.

Gone are the days of polite rejections. Most notifications of 'we have your information' are automatically generated, but even then very few companies send them out. Fewer send out rejection notices, and they are often automatically generated.

When you (we) get a notice that they have our information, or whatever words they choose to use, realize that everyone else got exactly the same notice. So there's NOTHING behind what they're saying other than...

We've got some applications/CVs for this position. We will review all the applications/CVs and come up with a short list of candidates. If you're in that short list, we will contact you to answer some questions, and maybe interview. Other than that, thanks for your application/CV, don't send us another one right away because we've got this one right now.

If you don't get contacted, it doesn't mean you're not qualified. It means they didn't put you on the short list. It doesn't mean they didn't like your CV, just that you didn't make the short list.

Why didn't you make the short list? who knows, but here are some reasons...

The hiring manager is going to promote someone who's already on the team, but the corporate policies state that the position must be advertised...

The president's nephews cousin is going to be hired, but the corporate policies state that the position must be advertised...

The company received 126,453 applications in the first 3 hours, so they stopped accepting applications at 11:30 am. Yours arrived at 11:35.

They were looking for someone with a certain amount of experience, but they got 20 CVs from people with twice that much, so they're going to talk to them first.

And many, many more.

The point?
Don't let it get you down.
Send an application to each company once a month, or so. And network.

Bealzebub
11th Jul 2012, 15:45
It usually means what it says.

Your application doesn't meet the qualifying criteria to be moved on to the next stage (usually interview offer) at that point in time.

Companies will often keep applications on file so that they can use them if vacancies arise in the course of the current recruitment cycle. Sometimes people are selected who decline an offer. Sometimes people fail their training. Sometimes vacancies arise that were not accounted for in the initial rounds of recruitment. Sometimes plans change at short notice and additional vacancies arise as a result.

It is time consuming and cost ineffective to have to launch a new recruitment programme (advertising etc.) in such circumstances, so a "file" provides a current resource to utilize. Of course it doesn't necessary follow that every application in such a file would qualify in such a circumstance, but it both provides the resource and provides an opportunity for a polite response and gentle letdown.

I wouldn't hang your hat on such a response, but move on to the next opportunity. There is always a small chance you will be surprised, but in reality it is a small chance.

aviator_
11th Jul 2012, 20:19
Hey Stick35,

I applied for the positions on CAE website, Volotea included never heard anything, Only a low timer un -typed did you ever hear anything back?

Stick35
12th Jul 2012, 05:42
Hi aviator

Although i really would like to move to the airline, i did not apply for this job for 2 reasons: money is really low and the type is not interesting. It is hard to find something if you are jobless with a 717 rating. But perhaps for low timers i thought i might be interesting to get a breakthrough.

Double1717
17th Jul 2012, 07:29
thanks for all your comments... And looking forward to a little bit of luck :)