PDA

View Full Version : EK medical and Loss of License insurances

lospilotos
11th Jul 2012, 08:50
Hi!

About to join EK later this year, I have a couple of questions regarding the medical coverage and LoL insurances.

Living today in a country with top social benefits IŽd like to know what potential pitfalls there are with the medical insurance EK provides for me and my family. I guess there is no problem as long as you get a cold or break a leg but what happens if you get cancer, heart problems, etc?

Are some of you adding up with extra insurances, if so, where, for what and how much?

Also, does the LoL insurance give you cover from day 1 or is that also subject to the 6 months probation period?

Insights appreciated...

/L.

SOPS
11th Jul 2012, 17:07
Your contract, letter of joining should cover that. I think it says keep insurance at home for pre existing conditions.

lospilotos
11th Jul 2012, 19:02
Well, the contract refers to the "Company handbook" on this matter, a publication I do not have access to until joining. I know that pre-existing conditions are not covered for a period of 2 years.

scandistralian
12th Jul 2012, 08:05
You should email all specific queries to your joining co-ordinator, if they don't know the answer they will pass it on to the medical benefits scheme staff.

The EPC was organising some form of top up medical insurance recently, it might be worth emailing them for details.

In terms of LOL check out Loss of Income Protection for Emirates Pilots (http://www.lipsek.org/) I hope I never have to avail it, but I am a member, and it provides me peace of mind.

Good luck with the joining :ok:

lospilotos
12th Jul 2012, 09:03
Scandistralian, thanks for the info on LIPS. IŽd happily set aside 1.4% of my basic to offer more peace of mind...

Jetaim
12th Jul 2012, 09:26
You look smart enough to understand that if you are not able to access some info until too late there must be a reason.If you can don't do it stay in the First World and treasure your social security and benefits!! In case you have no alternatives be 100% sure you will have at least a decent accommodation before deciding a joining date and consider that , depending on your rating and experience there are alternatives at the moment in more civilized places.

scandistralian
12th Jul 2012, 16:21
Jetaim are you feeling alright buddy?! Have you ever worked for EK? This is much more civilized than most places offering similar positions in the market at the moment.

@lospilotos, no worries, feel free to PM me if you need some advice about moving here

archer_737
12th Jul 2012, 16:36
Come on Jetaim.
Explain us your story so we can take you seriously.